We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » CHOP-DOH by J. Natera (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3960 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2021, Noobmaster69 wrote:
Did anybody actually try this on a spectator? Maybe I'm overthinking this, but you don't need to be a magician to know that Play-Doh might be sticking to the cup...

Funny. I never thought of that. I suppose it depends upon the routine and how the "ball" is placed in the cup and then shown to be "empty"
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Noobmaster69
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Noobmaster69
You're probably right. Like I said... Maybe I'm overthinking this. Also, I know that a smooth ball of Play-Doh usually wouldn't stick, but still it would be the most logical explanation coming to my mind.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1172 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Brent Braun featured this in one of his Unboxing videos offering a very honest assessment of what a waste of money this is. He is sending his stock back and refusing to carry it in his store. He specifically points out the magnet and it is not a one-off defect. They are all like that and completely visible through the top of the cup.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1598 Posts

Profile of Markymark
A couple of dealers have done this.I can't understand why the quality control does not start with Murphys.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
willtupper
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of willtupper
I preordered this, excited as can be about the concept, before I did any research about it.

Thankfully, I was able to cancel my preorder before it shipped.

Just wanted to say thank you to you all.

You saved me $40.00 plus shipping.

My bank account and I both very much appreciate it.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5544 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I almost purchased this as well, if it weren't from the commentary here on The Café. Truly "magicians helping magicians" in this case. Thank you everyone.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1613 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
I reviewed this last night on my review show. It’s terrible. So many problems with the prop.

Here’s the link if you want to watch the review.

Cheers.

Craig.
[url= http://youtube.com/c/slightlyunusualmagic
'Magic TV YouTube Channel ' by Craig Petty[/url]
allan31
View Profile
Regular user
everywhere
174 Posts

Profile of allan31
How many BS products is Murphy going to sell this year ? Waiting for the next one... Come on, Murphy, we believe in you !!!! Smile Smile Smile
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1172 Posts

Craig,

Great review. First off, to answer your initial question, yes, not only would I like to see more comparison videos like you did as you see a wealth of product on the market, but the demonstration of the product in question is very useful. Anyone seeing the ridiculous amount of effort needed to dislodge that ball wouldn't think twice of avoiding Chop Doh.

Second question..did you also notice that the magnet is visible through the top of the cup? Wasn't sure if that was an issue for you or not.

Michael
NashvilleNewman
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of NashvilleNewman
I’m just gonna be blunt. I’ve been a magic hobbyist for 25 years and this is possibly the worst piece of junk I’ve ever received. Murphy’s should be embarrassed that they’re carrying this.
I started to play around with it for my kids and within 30 seconds my son said there’s a magnet that holds the ball in there. I said how do you know that l? He’s said “I can see it though the bottom of the cup.” Felt in the cup to cover the magnet in there? Eesh.
Then one of the “balls” has this weird discoloration on it, right where the magnet was inserted.
It’s too bad. I would have paid $100 or more for something like this if it was made properly. Injection molded cup with embedded magnet for starters.
Thankfully I bought it from the awesome people at Vanishing Inc. They understood and remedied the problem. Stay away from this one.
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1816 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Can't tell anything else than what was said... This is very bad, especially for the price. It's badly finished, not usable, and very cheap.
Get yourself the Flap Cards guide : http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4435

Make sure to check my review Channel, new reviews coming every week ! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1598 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Nashville you can get a very good model for about $80.00 from the Spanish website listed above.
Vanishing inc. would have been more awesome if they refused to stock it!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
NashvilleNewman
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of NashvilleNewman
Thanks Marky! Expensive but (I hope) worth it. I would have gladly paid this much for Chop Doh if it was made right.
MrTim
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of MrTim
Love the idea, hate the execution.

1.The gaff inside the cup is visible through the bottom of the cup. Fail.
2.The gaff ball is misshapen, likely from the insertion of the shim. It clearly stands out "gaffed" and different from the other balls. Fail.
3.The magnet is too strong/shim too big because the ball will NOT release with a moderate drop on the table. Fail.

I'm taking mine back for a refund.
Murphy's dropped the ball on this potentially great prop.

Do not buy this.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1172 Posts

It really does make wonder if Murphy's ever actually says no to wholesaling a product or if they will just take any product that comes in. From a construction standpoint, lack of originality, etc, I'm not sure how this one passed any kind of control point.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5544 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Should Murphy's really be responsible for the quality of the products they distribute to anyone except the retailers they supply? They are a "middle man" after all. Shouldn't it be up to each seller to do their own research before offering a product to their customers? Can't they buy one, examine it, work with it, perform with it, and then decide whether they want to offer it to their customers? Sure, they miss some profits up front by not offering the latest prop, but wouldn't they gain in the long run by reinforcing a reputation for only offering products they stand behind?

I don't have an answer, just wondering.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1321 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Play-Chop by UnderMagic is larger, thicker and much nicer. Even the final load animal is created out of a Play-Doh looking modeling clay.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6992 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I love the idea! Very easy to acquire quality props. A magnet taped to your ring finger with flesh-colored cloth medical tape is a good way to start. Yes?

Doug
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of Peckham
I have a play-chop unit and it’s very well made.
Tarot
View Profile
New user
Perth Western Australia
5 Posts

Profile of Tarot
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2021, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2021, MR Effecto wrote:
I never had a problem returning something to penguin magic.

Nor have I, they are very fair about that.

I am having trouble with Penguin Magic replying to my emails in regards to my Complaint about Chop_Doh
I have been dealing with Penguin Magic for at least 10 years + but this is the first time they have not replied.
I wonder if there getting so many complaints about this product which was sold as a Pre-Order item in mid April 2021.
They are still selling this product as of today 4th June 2021.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » CHOP-DOH by J. Natera (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL