The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » What books are excellent, "must have" classics but still sit on your shelf? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I have At the Card Table by Ortiz. Yes, it's a classic that shifted the card world, blah, blah, blah. It's an "excellent" book that I bought for the Card Warp insight, as at the time I didn't have an interesting Card Warp routine. It didn't provide the Card Warp insight desired and since many of the other effects are gambling oriented, which isn't my interest, I've noticed that it sits on a bookshelf.

<GASP>

The other routines just don't fit into any immediate areas of interest for my style of engaging, spectator involved walk-around magic yet I hesitate to sell it because it indeed is a "classic" and I may at one point in the future wish I had it in my paws.

What books that are touted as classics or must-have's just sit on your shelves or are in the "should I sell on Ebay" limbo?
rden
View Profile
New user
Sugar Land, Texas
75 Posts

Profile of rden
The Magic of Michael Ammar came strongly recommended, but I haven't been able to get much from it...yet. Perhaps I'm not ready for it. I did learn Crazy Man's Handcuffs, and some of the essays were interesting, but in retrospect I'd have rather spent the money on something more useful to me now.
Dave1216
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Dave1216
Usually when I get a new book, I don't perform any effect in it until I feel I can adapt the trick to fit "me."

Then I got to Paul Gertner's "Steel and Silver." A good book with great idea's, but the whole book screamed "GERTNER." I have found it very difficult to adapt any of his tricks to me and my style.

Great book, just not for me.

Dave
My new DVD ("The magic of David Corsaro") is now available from your favorite dealer. Watch the DVD that Daryl, Jon Allen, Shawn Farquhar, Boris Wild, Marc DeSouza, Asi Wind and Paul Green ALL ENDORSE.

Visit www.timetobeawesome.com to watch the new weekly Video Blog for magicians, "Time to be awesome."
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Roth's Expert Coin Magic is a must for coin workers.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Stimuli
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Stimuli
The Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes by Jerry Cestkowski. The greatest text ever on learning card flourishes, from easy, to hard, to d*** near impossible it can all be found within this book.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
OK Fellas, quick clarification.

The point of this thread isn't "what are the must have books."

If you read the entire subject and the first post, then you'll see the question is what classic/"must have books" sit on your shelves because you don't use them.
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Fitzgee's Trilogy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
My Corinda doesn't get opened much.

Jack Shalom
xformer7
View Profile
Veteran user
Central NJ
309 Posts

Profile of xformer7
Marlo's Revolutionary Card Technique. I get overwhelmed just opening it, so for now it sits on the shelf.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
I don't get much from my "classic magic of larry jennings" and "best of Slydini".

N.

p.s. Jack, open your corinda at page 192 you might find something you like
Fayaad Manie
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Fayaad Manie
The Magical World of Slydini
Magic of Ammar
Mark Wilson's Course in Magic
The Vernon Chronicles 1-3
JamieDeep
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of JamieDeep
Expert Card Technique. I spent months trying to master the Faro shuffle technique it advises and warped a lot of decks in the process. I had a good time doing so. But then I got RCT and learnt it with a week from there. And the same could be said of false dealing and palming.

ECT may be a classic but I simply don't trust the techniques it advises any more.
Tielie
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Tielie
Jamie are you saying you learned false dealing in one week? And are you talking about tabled faro's or in the hands?
I have got 4 classics, all of which I use, so this topic is not 4 me.
(RRTCM, ECT, EATCD, classic magic of larry jennings)
Deal cards, not drugs!
JamieDeep
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of JamieDeep
In all honesty, I've still not truely mastered false dealing and I probably never will. But within a week of getting RTC I found a strike technique which started working for me. I'd spent months trying to get the double push-off down. Five years on, I still can't do a double push-off the ECT way. And for some reason, I still practice it now and again.

The perfect in-hands faro learnt from RCT did come that quick to me. I guess I understood what Faro'ing was all about from ECT, but I just don't feel the technique it advocates can be made 100% reliable.

The great thing about RCT, overwhelming as it may be, is the breadth of different techniques it offers. Your bound to find something that suits you. I just didn't get that from ECT.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Which book is RCT?
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
Mind, Myth and Magic by T.A. Waters.

It looks and sounds cool but every time I try to read it my eyes glaze over. I'm sure I am missing out on some good material, I just haven't been able to slog through this 828 page behemoth.
JamieDeep
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of JamieDeep
Revolutionary Card Technique - Marlo.
bkentner
View Profile
New user
Davenport, Nebraska
61 Posts

Profile of bkentner
Greater Magic - I think I'm intimidated by the number of pages Smile
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Anything by James Joyce Smile
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
marc_us
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of marc_us
Mind, Myth and Magic

haven't touched it for a year since I first got it.

Must say that Bobo's New Modern Coin Magic is definitely not one of these books ... keep going back for more ideas.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » What books are excellent, "must have" classics but still sit on your shelf? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL