The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » A new thought (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
335 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
I know most if not all coin magic guys do a copper silver transposition with a gaffed half and English Penny, but I was wondering if the same effect is available with a copper/silver gaffed quaterand matching copper coin..It would play differently if you could borrow a quarter do a switch..i think it might be stronger with a spectators quarter...Thoughts?...Ideas?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9058 Posts

Profile of funsway
In my effect "Untouched" an ungaffed half and English Penny change places in the hands of two spectators and you never tough the coins.

I have done this with a quarter and a brass token with the quarter borrowed and not. It did not seem to make much difference
as the power of the transposition overrides any thought of ownership.

There is always some suspicion since unusual coins are used - and now a half dollar is as unusual for most folks as an English Penny.

I also do many effects with the C/S coin in play, and have found that "in their hands" is far more impactful than the identity of the coins.

I often have performed with a basket of mixed coins from which a spectator might chose - halves, Pennies, Chinese coins, quarters, chips, tokens, etc.
I perform with whatever coin is selected, often then asking for others that match or are similar, except ...

I have never had a person choose a quarter. The fact that they get to choose one makes it "theirs" and does seem to increase the power of the effect.
Naturally, I have several gaffs ready to switch in as necessary.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
KungFuMagic
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
Sounds like it could be great impact with the added "borrowed item" hook. I'm digging the borrowed and in-their-hands kicker to effects/experiments/routines.

For the copper coins, pre-decimal British half penny 25.5mm is easy to find pretty cheap. Aussie $1 25mm is bronze, 50 cent Euro 24.25mm is gold tone, just a few ideas.
Nick Sasso
part-time Samurai conjurer
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6926 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27150 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2021, obsidian52 wrote:
...i think it might be stronger with a spectators quarter...Thoughts?...Ideas?
It makes the c-s transpo stronger when you borrow the quarter.
Started with the Johnson half penney gaff and then got a custom made coin using a 5 bronze 5 kopec coin...

Any thoughts on using an air-tag? Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1866 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Because fewer and and fewer people these days carry cash, even borrowing a quarter can be problematic.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
636 Posts

Profile of karnak
That, and very sharp-eyed spectators may notice if they loaned you a state quarter, but the gaff being used in play features an older, pre-state quarter (or vice versa).
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9058 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On May 14, 2021, karnak wrote:
That, and very sharp-eyed spectators may notice if they loaned you a state quarter, but the gaff being used in play features an older, pre-state quarter (or vice versa).

I solved this, sorta - by having one spectator search for and borrow three "eagle quarters" for various other spectators.

That way a number of people are involved as I use "their coin," and it increase the perceptions of random and innocent.

"I am going to need several of the older silver quarters for a bit of magic. If you can all search your pockets or purse,
we can have Jim here select three of them. I am not going to suggest that our government is trying to get rid of these Eagles
because of their inherent magical qualities. You can be the judge of that."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » A new thought (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL