We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Tommy Wonder Cups & Balls Set (Brass) (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
845 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Https://murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=69490

Anyone already gotten their hands on these and can give their thoughts?
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
From the ad:
Difficulty: Beginner
Close Up Performer
Mentalism, Bizarre and Psychokinesis Perf
Street Performer

I think they got 1/4 correct.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5370 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
A friend bought this set and I have played with it extensively:

Cups: I call them small (not micro) along the size of an old Morrissey cup. It is brass and looks pretty. The shape is more a "traditional" tapered top than a Paul Fox style (which Tommy Wonder preferred). The base is approximately 1 3/4 inch in diameter. It has an indentation for a saddle and will hold one of the provided balls and keep it from rolling off. You're not going to have two or more balls balanced on the base and Tommy Wonder's routine doesn't call for doing so. The mouth (inside diameter) is approximately 2 5/8 inches. It has a nice bead surrounding the mouth. The cup height is approximately 3 1/4 inches. I have no way to estimate the weight but it does have a good heft to it considering its size.

Balls: are purpose made Pom-Poms and seem to be in the proportionate size that is recommended by Tommy Wonder. They are about 1.5 inches in diameter, more or less. Orange in color. They are almost weightless.

The blue knitted bag looks more like a knitted sock that has been cut off at the heel and then sewn closed. The one that came with the set I played with is a tad short with not a lot of extra material above the cups to effectively tie it off. The blue Pom-Pom has the required miniature Tarbell gimmick to attach it to the drawstrings of the bag.

In all it is well made for its designed purpose, that is, to perform the Tommy Wonder Two Cup routine.

It comes in an attractive box with a top that closes with a magnetic latch. The inside of the box is a block of foam rubber with cutouts for the cups and other accessories.

In terms of use. This set is best used for the Tommy Wonder routine.

This would be a great set of cups for a close-up set and routine. Of course the skilled and imaginative performer could develop their own two-cup routine using these cups and maybe the balls. However, almost any two cups would suffice for a self-developed routine.

I doubt if many Street Performers will chose these as the cups are small and not designed for fruit final loads and the balls (pom-poms) would blow away with the slightest of breezes. However, I could see a doorway or small crowd performer using these cups and this routine as it is short, magical, and self-contained.

Interestingly I watched Tommy perform his two cup routine in 1977, in 1985, and in 1990 and each time he used a Paul Fox style cup and not the traditional shape offered here. I think at one point he was using the Monti cup (R&T?).

In all, this set is nice and compared to other cups available, seems a reasonable price. I believe that if you want to master the Wonder Two Cup routine and don't want to go through the pain of building the props yourself then this is a reasonable way to go. Other than what I consider the bag being a too short in length (may an anomaly in the set I played with), I think it is good value for the money.

Not much else to say, the set looks like it does in the advertising photos.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Thank you for your review!

Harry, I'm thinking about these cups for a routine requiring 2 standard knit balls to be nested between 2 cups, but would prefer not to use balls smaller than 7/8". Do you think there is attic space for 2 7/8" (or 2 1" balls) between 2 nested cups?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5370 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I just tested. I used two 1" balls (old R&T) and they fit. The cups nest without a problem. Cups nested well without wobble.

The balls fit in the saddle and when the top cup is removed they appear to stick out over the top a bit. The tapper to the cups make it look to the uninitiated spectator as if it would be impossible to balance two balls on the upturned bottom of the cup.

I didn't have a 7/8" balls to test but the 1" size look porportional to the cups. That is they look "right".
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
845 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Thank you for the review, Harry.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Harry, thank you so much! I love the 'look' of these cups, and was hoping I could justify buying them, haha.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Judging by the photos of the cups, they knocked off Auke van Dokkum's design and reduced the size a bit. I have one of the few original Auke van Dokkum sets.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Ah, *that's* it. There was a familiarity about them but I couldn't place it.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5370 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Thanks Bill! I wondered myself why the cups looked familiar. Sadly I had never handled a set of Auke van Dokkum cups (seen but not touched. LOL!!).
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm curious about the statements I have read that they got permission from the Tommy Wonder Estate to produce these. I have been given to understand that Frank Bemelman put all of Tommy's material into the public domain. Perhaps I have been misinformed.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
NEKKODDD
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of NEKKODDD
I finally got my set of cups. They are nice quality and I agree with Bill they resemble Auke van Dokkum cups.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6991 Posts

Profile of Dougini
If you want to do Tommy Wonder's Cups & Balls, this is the set to have!

Doug
NEKKODDD
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of NEKKODDD
They are on the smaller side of cups. Just beware.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1815 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I just ordered the last set that Tannen's had in stock. Looking forward to playing with these when they arrive after I brush up on Tommy Wonder's routine in The Book of Wonder.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1815 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Also, as an FYI.....Tannen's currently has a "20% OFF with first order" promotion currently going on, and I was able to buy this set for $124 before shipping.

A decent deal, I think.

It might be worth watching Tannen's to see if they get these back in stock again anytime soon. I see other dealers promotion July 20th as an "expected back in stock" date.
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
268 Posts

Profile of Martello
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2021, Dougini wrote:

Doug

Not really true. I have this set and have tried extensively to keep the supplied balls from not sticking together in the cup that is way too small. One cannot lift a cup without both balls staying in the cup making it impossible to steal a ball. Tommy Wonder used larger cups and you can see this in even the instructional video supplied. If one tries to use a larger cup with the supplied balls, they will not fit the cover with the pom pom. May eventually have to cut down the balls or use balls that can separate in the cup.

Arthur
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
845 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
They had Limited Edition Sets with 2 bags in different colors.

https://youtu.be/CwMXb3TQVRw
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
268 Posts

Profile of Martello
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2021, Rainboguy wrote:
Also, as an FYI.....Tannen's currently has a "20% OFF with first order" promotion currently going on, and I was able to buy this set for $124 before shipping.

It might be worth watching Tannen's to see if they get these back in stock again anytime soon. I see other dealers promotion July 20th as an "expected back in stock" date.

I would be interested in your experience with this set and what you think of the size of the cups as well as balls. I have begun to trim mine to make them fit the cups better.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6991 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2021, Martello wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2021, Dougini wrote:

Doug

Not really true. I have this set and have tried extensively to keep the supplied balls from not sticking together in the cup that is way too small. One cannot lift a cup without both balls staying in the cup making it impossible to steal a ball. Tommy Wonder used larger cups and you can see this in even the instructional video supplied. If one tries to use a larger cup with the supplied balls, they will not fit the cover with the pom pom. May eventually have to cut down the balls or use balls that can separate in the cup.
Arthur

Thank you Arthur! This is good to know!

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Tommy Wonder Cups & Balls Set (Brass) (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL