The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Tossed Out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nicetodd
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of nicetodd
I tried posting this in a different section, but realize I may have been off the mark. I am new to this effect, but like the idea of the audience participation and interaction component.

Looking for opinions on the various versions of "Tossed Out" available.. my original post with [some edits in brackets]:

Is there a good list of Tossed out effects (whether impromptu or otherwise) somewhere? I love the premise as a rather casual parlor trick during a party or event. I've seen some of the various marketed effects:

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/mental......ut-deck/
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/stage-......ut-deck/
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/card-m......balloon/
[ https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/stage-......ut-deck/ ]

... literally dozens.

Here is what I am after (please note - I am new to the effect and even I find my list unrealistic, so as much of this as possible!):

1) something as close to impromptu as possible (regular deck or prepared regular deck) [I have come to realize this may not be possible].
2) something easy for me as a hobbyist to pick up without huge amounts amounts of practice
3) something ideally I can get in bicycle red
4) something examinable by layperson [I have come to realize that the examination is implied in the "tossed out" aspect of the trick]
5) as many outs as possible

Can you fine people please help me on pros/cons on the various versions of these effects? While I am fairly up to speed on most of the card classics, this is one I haven't studied much until a few days ago.

Many thanks in advance.
SebastianHenzl
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of SebastianHenzl
For me only the last link to Gazzo's Tossed Out Deck is working, so I can't say anything about the other versions, but judging by the trailer, Gazzo's handling is fun and I am seriously thinking about buying his version.

I already own the Ultimate Tossed Out Deck by Himitsu Magic (misspelled in the instructional video as "unlimited tossed out") – I wasn't after this version, but my local magic store had this one and I'm quite satisfied, so I'd like to give you my thoughts on this.

As for your criteria:

1) Should be possible: It's a prepared deck you can (a) show that all cards are different and (b) still know the value and suit of a free chosen card and you can shuffle the deck before (c) going into the tossed out part. (a) and (c) could be repeated immediately, even though (c) has to be done for another audience, otherwise you're giving away the method. (b) needs a reset, which can be done within a short break of a few minutes (depending on how much has been shuffled).
2) You get an instructional video with a stage routine and two bonus routines. The stage routine is quite easy to accomplish, if you carefully follow the instructions and don't have to deal with hecklers.
3) The back design of this deck contains some dragons and flowers, so no red bike. Faces are standard though.
4) Since it's prepared, it's not examinable in a way that you can give the deck to a spectator after the routine. But if you incorporate (a) and (b), there's no need to let the spectators examine the deck since you already showed that all cards are different.
5) It's advertised as a "100% hit" which is true if you follow the instructions and set up the deck in the correct way. Even if the chances are not that high, it's possible that all spectators peek at the same card – for this case you have to find an out on your own as far as I remember.

One last thought on the tutorial: You'll get teached every important aspect on the deck itself, but you won't get much tipps for the presentation, so you'll have to come up with your own things to make it work.

Cya,
Sebastian
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Loyal user
Randolph NJ
253 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
You should also look into Ken Dyne's Passed Out Deck, I don't own it but have seen it in action and many will tell you it is hands down the best version ever of a tossed out deck effect. It wasn't available for a long time, then it was again, don't know if it still is but if so worth looking into.

Glenn
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1812 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
The "Mother of all tossed out deck" routines is David Hoy's original tossed out deck.

If I could only do one trick, under the right circumstances (stage, audience of several hundred people) THIS would be the one.

David Hoy's original handling is, in my opinion, just perfect.

Simple, exceptionally clean, and absolutely baffling. And best of all, your audience will ALWAYS remember you performing this trick.
eddini
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of eddini
I like David Regal's TOD a lot.

ED, [Eddini]
Nikodemus
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I don't think he really wants TOSSED out. He wants to use it in quite intimate settings.
nicetodd
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of nicetodd
These have been very helpful. I think Abbott has one called Octopus as well. Can anyone subtlety describe the advantages/benefits of Octopus / David Regal / Ken Dyne methods vs what I would call the "original" method of Hoy (then later Gazzo)
nicetodd
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of nicetodd
Quote:
On May 31, 2021, Nikodemus wrote:
I don't think he really wants TOSSED out. He wants to use it in quite intimate settings.

I think anything Tossed Out style is what I am after. Whether it actually gets passed or tossed, not terribly important. Parlor to small stage style. I am looking to learn as much as I can about this kind of effect so I can pick the right way for me.
nicetodd
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of nicetodd
I have looked at Ken Dyne's version in detail now, but... alas, the first phase was too easy to figure out for me. My wife will nail anyone who performs that to the wall (She knows too much, maybe time for a switch haha!) Does anyone have experience with Abbott's Octopus?
nicetodd
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of nicetodd
One more ask about Octopus before I move on (how would you compare it to others?) - thanks for all the color so far.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Tossed Out (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL