The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Question for those that teach (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2754 Posts

Profile of Tom G
My friend's grandson is very interested in magic so I bought Harry Lorayne's Magic Book and sent it to my friend. His grandson is devouring it, but the problem is, Al said he's, what we'd call flashing coins and cards and stuff. He's afraid to point it out, but doesn't know what to do. Any suggestions?
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3249 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Take video. Watch it with him the way a football coach does. He will be surprised how good some things look and how bad others look.

You don't mention how old the grandson is. Harry Loraynes book is written for the general public but not for small children.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2754 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Thanks Mike, he's not all that young, but needs some direction.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1858 Posts

Profile of Anatole
From what you wrote, it sounds like your friend's grandson is doing tricks that require sleights. There are some very good tricks that don't require sleights that would give him confidence while he's learning more advanced tricks.

I think both of John Scarne's books--_Scarne's Magic Tricks_ and Scarne on Card Tricks_--have some great tricks ranging from nearly totally self-working to fairly easy sleights. The Joseph Leeming book _Fun with Magic_ is also very good. Del Ray fooled a roomful of magicians with a trick from that book. It is out of print, but IIRC has been reprinted under new titles.

If there is an IBM Ring or SAM Assembly that meets near your friend's grandson, maybe he could find a mentor or two who could help him. The current health crisis might make attending magic club meetings difficult, but as long as the meetings require members to wear masks, it might be worth looking into.

Some beginners' tricks from a magic store would also be an option.

Videorecording practice sessions might also help.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Question for those that teach (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL