The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Starting a palm reading in a casual environment? (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
620 Posts

Profile of Scott
Oh ***,

Looks like I've been doing it wrong for nearly 30 years.

Back to the drawing board then.
Scott Creasey - Mind Reader

Original Routines With A Mental Flavour

http://www.mentalmagicism.com/
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2008 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
How do you do it, Scott?

Patrick
tihani
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of tihani
Quote:
On May 5, 2021, Scott wrote:
Oh ***,

Yes, please do share!
Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
620 Posts

Profile of Scott
Oh No.

Sorry guys I shouldn't have commented, because really there is no right or wrong way, just peoples opinions, as you said tihani you assess the situation and decide if it is appropriate.

So here's my opinion based on what I've been doing wrong for 30 years.

When it comes to giving readings whether that is full private paid readings or short casual readings in a social environment, I don't think the 'what can I get out of this' attitude is helpful, most readings in my opinion no matter, where, when or how, should be approached with a 'how can I help or benefit you' attitude.

I've never forced a reading on anybody, but when I had table hopping residences many moons ago I did regular readings for all the bar, waiting and front of house staff in all the venues I worked and believe me none of them wanted to see mindreading or magic tricks, but they all wanted readings.

I've done quick readings for people I didn't know but who looked upset, I've done readings for people while sat at the bar in a pub, I did a reading for an old lady at a bus stop once and two quick readings in the bank when sorting out a problem with my account, then a few years back I did a reading for a short burly guy who delivered a skip on my front drive.

I think the worse thing you can do is force a quick reading on somebody then hand over a business card, especially if that card tells them you are a comedy magician, Hypnotist and mind reader.

That said I've lost count of the number of psychic parties, and private readings I've booked by doing a casual palm reading here and there without a hidden agenda.

As for

Quote:
I think this also demonstrates the difference between magicians doing readings and professional readers.

If this quote is referring to professional readers within the mentalism community which I assume it is because it has been posted on a magic/mentalism forum, then maybe, but I know quite a lot of shuteye readers (some pro's some not, and who you won't find on a magic forum) who will take your hand and look at your palm just because you seem depressed, upset or have an interesting aura.

They don't do it with a 'look at how special I am' or 'book me for a reading' attitude, they do it out of genuine concern or because they have a genuine interest in the other person.

Approaching it like that (when you've assessed the situation) and rather than "seeming a bit creepy combined with being quite a bit magic-y." it comes over as more caring and psychic-y.

But again this is only my opinion a definition of which would be

Quote:
OPINION - noun - a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

Cheers

Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2008 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Scott, thank you for taking the time to describe your approach. I appreciate it.

Patrick
tihani
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of tihani
Quote:
On May 6, 2021, Mr. Woolery wrote:
Scott, thank you for taking the time to describe your approach. I appreciate it.

Patrick

Likewise! Thanks
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1035 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
"Ever had a palm reading?" or "Can I look at your hand for a second?.."
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2590 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I wrote about this in a book once. If you notice someone's hands are sporting a cool ring, tattoos or painted / false nails then simply taking an interest can lead to a palm reading. Yes these readings can often start with slight confusion or even 'what the heck you looking at' but people tend to like their rings, tats and nails to be noticed.
Ragardless of how you get someone's attention (including simply asking 'would you mind if I looked at your hand') you need to say something complimentary from the outset. People want to know why you're interested in the first place.
'Your hand looks like it belongs to someone creative' is about as good as it gets for starters. Everyone wants people to notice their creativity if they have some, and to be told they have some untapped creativity even if they don't.
Also telling people that you're practicing is good. Even you're an experienced palm reader everything is practice really, but letting slip that you're practicing and may not have all the answers can turn down the heat and encourage the other person to relax.
Just my 2c.
Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
620 Posts

Profile of Scott
Quote:
On May 10, 2021, bevbevvybev wrote:
I wrote about this in a book once. If you notice someone's hands are sporting a cool ring, tattoos or painted / false nails then simply taking an interest can lead to a palm reading. Yes these readings can often start with slight confusion or even 'what the heck you looking at' but people tend to like their rings, tats and nails to be noticed.
Ragardless of how you get someone's attention (including simply asking 'would you mind if I looked at your hand') you need to say something complimentary from the outset. People want to know why you're interested in the first place.
'Your hand looks like it belongs to someone creative' is about as good as it gets for starters. Everyone wants people to notice their creativity if they have some, and to be told they have some untapped creativity even if they don't.
Also telling people that you're practicing is good. Even you're an experienced palm reader everything is practice really, but letting slip that you're practicing and may not have all the answers can turn down the heat and encourage the other person to relax.
Just my 2c.

Excellent suggestions.

John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12231 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On May 5, 2021, Scott wrote:
Oh ***,

haha
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
tihani
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of tihani
Quote:
On May 10, 2021, bevbevvybev wrote:
Just my 2c.

Awesome! Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Starting a palm reading in a casual environment? (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL