The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Is MagicianPalace.com a legit site to buy from? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WhoTiny
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of WhoTiny
Hi,

I'm very new to all this, and am doing my rounds of purchasing a bunch of mentalism books to read and study. I prefer having hard copies, but some of the books I'm interested in seem to be no longer in print. I found 'The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Vol 2" on a site called magicianpalace.com. They are selling a PDF download for $13.99. I looked around their site for other books I'm interested in, and they appear to have everything I could possibly want in PDF downloads for incredibly cheap prices. This immediately got me thinking that this site may be illegally selling scans of books they have no right to, so I'd thought I'd ask here. I definitely don't want to pay any money to this site if they are ripping off the original creators. Since I'm quite new to this world, I don't trust myself to make any judgements since I'm so unfamiliar with it all. So in short, is this site a scam as I suspect? And if it is, does anyone know where I can legally obtain 'The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Vol 2'? My searches aren't pulling anything up and I'd really like it.

Thanks so much!

(Here is a direct link to the book in question on that site: http://www.magicianpalace.com/the-artful......273.html )
Ravenspur
View Profile
Regular user
Granby, MA
147 Posts

Profile of Ravenspur
This looks like illegal, pirated material.

It uses "Domains by Proxy," which obscures site ownership and often covers for scams.

Your title looks like it's out of print.
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Livermore, CA
561 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Artful Mentalism is still available in hard-cover:
https://hrmagicbooks.com/?s=artful+menta......=product

I ordered a few weeks back. Great book.

Dave
JonHackl
View Profile
Regular user
Western Australia
138 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
Prices so low and some material that is definitely pirated and shouldn't be there. I wouldn't touch it.
"Magic is the only kind of entertainment where 90% of the audience is trying to ruin it for themselves." - Pete Holmes
Aintnothingbutachickenwing
View Profile
New user
Dublin Ireland
20 Posts

Profile of Aintnothingbutachickenwing
Yeah does not seem legit at all, I use vanishing inc for all my book purchases
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Livermore, CA
561 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Looks like Artful Mentalism Vol. 1 is no longer available from H&R.

It was when I posted the link.

Dave
avensis
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of avensis
Hi, I find this site unreliable too.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6956 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On May 5, 2021, JonHackl wrote:
...I wouldn't touch it.

Ha! Not with a TEN foot pole!

Doug
socalguy
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
50 Posts

Profile of socalguy
Start now! Do not support pirated material! There is a reason the prices are rock bottom! Your personal information is also at risk!
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
39 Posts

Profile of Merodach
Seems like some conflicting information in their "about page". They state they have been around since 2006, but the Way Back Machine suggests 2017.
Kastro
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Kastro
And by what indicators is the site evaluated?
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
39 Posts

Profile of Merodach
You can look at records and overall credibility of the website. There's a bit of subjectivity here.
Ravenspur
View Profile
Regular user
Granby, MA
147 Posts

Profile of Ravenspur
I was almost fooled into a site that said you could buy Phedon Bilek's new book for $29.95. It actually looked like a real site. When I couldn't find anything about the file format, I posted something, and Phedon said his book was not available electronically.

The site had a "magical" name and actually looked like his page.

Stick to established sites!
Cub Sines
View Profile
New user
Finland (Ostrobothnia)
50 Posts

Profile of Cub Sines
Good to know about that site so I can avoid it.
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
39 Posts

Profile of Merodach
A quick search of the forum turned up this thread: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......start=20

It's a bit old, but some of the sites are still in business. This topic might be good for a sticky thread.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Is MagicianPalace.com a legit site to buy from? (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL