The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusions from the past. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
170 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
Hello everyone, I remember browsing through an old Abbotts catalog ( I believe it was an Abbotts.) There was a section that contained illusions that were odd e.g. a girl's head on a sword. Are any of these 'back of book'illusions being performed today?
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
321 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
The old Tannen's catalog had a similar section with that type of illusion too. While you might rarely see these in a show, the head on sword and the like are more often seen in haunted attractions as displays, or even in the occasional carnival freak show. Although I suppose they don't call it that anymore...
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
David Copperfield has in fact the head on the sword set up in his museum and it is performed on his tours.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Radamwarner ...
Mark Wilsons "complete course in magic" has a great section on stage magic.

My favourite is "Farmer and the Witch" which - by any other name - still plays well.

Wulfie
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
The “Head on Sword” was more of a display illusion and also used in sideshows as a follow up to the guillotine.
Ray Pierce
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Paul Osborne published a book about sideshow illusion plans:

https://www.osborneillusionsystems.com/books/p/steprightup

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Osburne has this as a single plan, but the book isa much better deal. It's in several of the old books, a fairly simple build. I remember a talker on the old RAS having one set up on the bally platform, he would vanish the sirls head in a dove net and tell the tip that hewould show everyone how it wa done. As they passed the platform going in, they could see the back of the illusion. Ofcoure the breaf peak made people thing they saw the secret, they really did but they could not really dicribe it two minutes later, so nothin was really exposed. You can also get a passable plane much cheaper by sarching for A.K. Brill building plans.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
David_N
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, England
93 Posts

Profile of David_N
Years ago on British TV there was a bizarre magic show fronted by Simon Drake called 'The Secret Cabaret'. Jim Steinmeyer was a major consultant on the show and it featured many classic sideshow illusions. A DVD of both series was produced though I suspect it is long out of production.
https://youtu.be/J3WPftPSfuo
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of collective foundry
Here is the head on sword thing I uploaded for you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-_6G3G3zbI
DoubleDutched
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam
74 Posts

Profile of DoubleDutched
Magic; stage illusions and scientific diversions by Hopkins is a great source for old illusions.

Beautiful plates, and some clever ideas which aren't thought about anymore.
DoubleDutched
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam
74 Posts

Profile of DoubleDutched
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2023, David_N wrote:
Years ago on British TV there was a bizarre magic show fronted by Simon Drake called 'The Secret Cabaret'. Jim Steinmeyer was a major consultant on the show and it featured many classic sideshow illusions. A DVD of both series was produced though I suspect it is long out of production.
https://youtu.be/J3WPftPSfuo

Jim talked about this on his Vanishing Inc Masterclass Q&A.

Interesting stuff about how they did the lighting for all these old illusions which were all on stage together...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusions from the past. (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL