The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Non-Toxic ways to roughen cards? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I've been leery about purchasing rough and smooth products, especially sprays, because I don't want to expose myself to toxic chemicals. Mind you, I don't *know* that the ingredients of these products are toxic... Anyway, I wondered if anyone has come up with safe and environmentally friendly ways to roughen cards.

I read somewhere that it works to apply white crayon to the surface of a card, or part of the surface. The claim was that the crayon, once applied, is invisible. I plan to try this, but I wondered if anyone had other ideas.

Thanks,

Bob
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Bob, maybe try the roughing stick. I can't vouch for the ingredients, but at least it isn't spray-applied.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5713
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Tortuga. I decided to purchase this. I like that it isn't spray-applied, as you said, and the person I chatted with at Penguin said that there's no MSDS (?) sheet for the product; this is a flier that comes with products that have hazardous ingredients. I hope the ingredients will be listed on the stick so I can look into them.

See you,

Bob
Alan M
View Profile
Elite user
California
433 Posts

Profile of Alan M
My roughing stick, the version shown on that Penguin page, does not have any list of ingredients. Mine is probably several years old so maybe they have updated that.

-Alan
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On May 5, 2021, Alan M wrote:
My roughing stick, the version shown on that Penguin page, does not have any list of ingredients. Mine is probably several years old so maybe they have updated that.

-Alan

Since you have one, it might be good to share your thoughts and experience with it. For Bob's benefit as well as any others that haven't tried.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Don't lick the stick.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
KieranMagic
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of KieranMagic
Whilst I think the chemicals in spray if ingested are probably not very good for you, but so is paint... and we touch painted stuff everyday? Maybe you got some allergies, I dunno. I wouldnt worry to much about it, but Im no doc Smile
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Yeah, KieranMagic, I pretty much came to the same conclusion. Per Tortuga's suggestion I ordered the roughing stick. I have respiratory issues and so decided against the spray. Thanks for your thoughts. And welcome to the Café!
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
898 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Spray is very smelly. So needs a ventilated space. In my small flat, its not possible to spray them. I tried doing it in my garden... that was not a good idea either Smile I had carefully placed newspaper down, and then the cards, I sprayed them. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand WHOOOSH, the wind blew them all over the place.

Sticks are very practical though!
KieranMagic
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of KieranMagic
Haha, yeh, I tried the same in my apartment!
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Nothing has ever worked, or lasted as long, as the old-style Roughing Fluid. Once applied with cotton wool, a pack would last forever - I've still got Brainwave and Nudist Packs (in Fox Lake cards) from the late 70's which continue to work like a dream.

Roughing Spray - I've tried this in the past and it worked well. Bear in mind that you need to have a lot of ventilation. As for the concern about toxic chemicals - apply wearing a face mask (which I'm sure we all currently have) and as mentioned, open windows and doors.

Roughing Sticks - I've tried both versions that you see on sale today. They work for a while; but I can't say that I've been overly impressed; the first version of roughing stick also left a lot of white residue - particularly noticeable on black, spot cards. More importantly, both types of roughing stick have let me down during performance - so they both went in the bin. It's quick and less messy - but if it doesn't do the job effectively, then it's a pointless option in my experience.
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Elwood
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Elwood
Tyre Chalk.
SebastianHenzl
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of SebastianHenzl
It's a bit off-topic since it's also a spray, but I use Science Friction. I prefer it over rough and smooth since the preparation is only half the work plus you can hand out the treated cards – at least if you don't overspray them.
SleightlySpooky
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of SleightlySpooky
I also use the roughing stick, and it’s been effective for a variety of applications. As Tortuga said, it isn’t spray applied which already takes a lot of chemicals out of the equation. I believe it’s some kind of non toxic wax, but I’m not 100% sure of that so don’t eat it yet.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Darn, and I had it for dessert yesterday. Welcome to the Café, Sleightly.

Bob
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On May 7, 2021, dyoung wrote:
Spray is very smelly. So needs a ventilated space. In my small flat, its not possible to spray them. I tried doing it in my garden... that was not a good idea either Smile I had carefully placed newspaper down, and then the cards, I sprayed them. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand WHOOOSH, the wind blew them all over the place.

Sticks are very practical though!

I have used a cardboard box and something weighted like a board can be put in the box to hold it down. Spray a portion of the cards and after they dry, spray another portion. That is if you don't have enough boxes to lay out all of the cards. Smile
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On May 15, 2021, Merc Man wrote:
Roughing Spray - I've tried this in the past and it worked well. Bear in mind that you need to have a lot of ventilation. As for the concern about toxic chemicals - apply wearing a face mask (which I'm sure we all currently have) and as mentioned, open windows and doors.

With sprays ALWAYS wear a mask with the attachable/disposable filters. These masks are designed for chemical sprays. The N95 and the common masks worn today out and about ARE NOT effective with chemical sprays/particulates. In addition if you can smell the spray then you are ingesting it and risk the effects of it. Chemical sprays promote cancer and neurological harm. The effects from exposure can show up many years later. Please be safe!
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Harry Robson roughing stick is excellent for when you want something prepared quickly and with less effort. It doesn't last as long effectively on the cards as the sprays but it may last long enough for you.

The alternative sprays to Science Friction are excellent and only cost around 10-15 dollars instead of SF at $95. Here is a list of what people have had satisfaction with-
Plasti-Dip
Krylon Triple-Thick Crystal Clear Glaze 0500
Krylon Matte Finish 1311
Testors Dulcote
Rust-oleum FlexiDip Gloss top coat Clear Finish

Here is a good thread on another product- https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=203
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Trstor's is Krylon at thee times the cost.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Another vote for the roughing stick.

In a pinch, you can also use a hard surfboard wax (e.g. warm water or tropical), or even children's crayons if they match the colour of the card backs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Non-Toxic ways to roughen cards? (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL