The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » ACAAN (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
candlestick
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of candlestick
Quote:
On May 15, 2021, Merc Man wrote:
If I'm brutally honest, the actual concept of ACAAN leaves me cold.

At the end of the day, in the mindsets of an audience, it's just the revelation of a chosen playing card. So what?

I truly believe it's become a plot that Magicians like pondering various methods over; rather than being a commercial example of Card Magic.

Maybe I'm totally wrong........and dealing down to the (for example) 47th card from the top of the pack is wonderful entertainment? I doubt it though. Smile


You are not wrong. I agree with you 100%. I regard this as the most overrated card trick of all time. It isn't a bad trick-just an overrated one. The way it is normally presented requires an audience with a good attention span and in the real world this isn't that common. The very "conditions" required is precisely what can make the trick dreary in the first place.

Having said that I have FOUR methods of doing the trick! Two which I have been using since childhood and two of my own invention more recently. They don't comply with the "conditions" but not only don't they have to they are a hell of a lot more effective than the usual ways of doing it. For one thing they are over and done with quickly and don't go on interminably which to me dilutes the entertainment value.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
IF U HAVE 4 METHODS THEN WHY
ISIT A BAD TRCK
MAKES NO SENSE
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
candlestick
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of candlestick
I didn't say it was a bad trick. I said it was an over rated trick especially the way it is normally done. It reminds me of what old time magicians called "conjuring for conjurers"
However, when I do it by any of my four methods it is no longer an over rated trick. It is a GOOD trick! I can GUARANTEE that if I show any of my versions to a LAYMAN they will far prefer it to any other version that is around at the moment. For one thing it is over in half the time. In fact I could probably do TWO of my versions by the time anyone else does the trick once! I could then repeat the trick and could quadruple the effect that anyone else gets it with just one showing. Why? Well I would get twice the reaction with one version that you might get with a regular long winded version and if I do it again ANOTHER doubled reaction! So two plus two equals four! That means quadruple the reaction.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
My bad I thought you said it was a bad EFFECT ,

I THI NK IT Has its place and depends on what or how you are performing the effect
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
John7
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of John7
Um doing two quick tricks isn't necessarily twice as good as doing one slow trick in the same time. It's not always about tricks per minute (TPM). The opposite can be true if it's one GOOD intense slow trick (as an acaan can be) - the slow trick might have more impact precisely because of it's slow inevitable progress towards an impossible conclusion.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3139 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On May 21, 2021, John7 wrote:
Um doing two quick tricks isn't necessarily twice as good as doing one slow trick in the same time. It's not always about tricks per minute (TPM). The opposite can be true if it's one GOOD intense slow trick (as an acaan can be) - the slow trick might have more impact precisely because of it's slow inevitable progress towards an impossible conclusion.


It's Mark Lewis. He's being provocative to gather attention. He'll move on to book-shilling shortly.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
John7
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of John7
Ah ok
KevinWisch
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of KevinWisch
Bill Wisch's "Impromputu Card at any Number" (ICAAN) received rave reviews on the 2019 Slydini Inspiration Tour.

"Bill Wisch began his lecture with his incredibly deceptive "Impromptu Any Card at Any Number," a variation of the famous card effect we are all so familiar with. This was one of the most deceptive ACAAN effects we had ever seen, and it truly plays as it sounds. Guest David Buss chose a playing card from a normal unprepared and shuffled deck, the card was shuffled into the deck and Ring Sergeant-at-Arms Laura Buss called out a number between five and forty five (the number thirty-three in this case). The cards were counted and dealt from the top of the deck, and, with no apparent sleight of hand or funny moves, the selected card was found at the thirty-third position! The simple misdirection required to perform this miracle has to be seen to be believed." -Jacksonville Lecture Review, 2019 Slydini Inspiration Tour
Other reviews available at: https://www.billwisch.com/lecture


(video only a sample of DVD quality, not a presentation of the routine). Available on "The Killer Set" DVD at: https://www.billwisch.com/store
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1721 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
For those of you who do ACAAN, what presentation do you use to make laymen care?
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2689 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On May 21, 2021, The Burnaby Kid wrote:
It's Mark Lewis. He's being provocative to gather attention. He'll move on to book-shilling shortly.

Hopefully, some people might buy them then.

From my personal experience, they'd get a much better return from their investment of a Mark Lewis book, than the majority of the utter GARBAGE being released these days.
Barry Allen

Joe Riding (1932 - 2005). "I still miss you mate".
https://magicweek.co.uk/magic_articles/article_joe_riding.htm
ipe
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of ipe
Quote:
On May 22, 2021, Jon Allen wrote:
For those of you who do ACAAN, what presentation do you use to make laymen care?

It depends. When none touch the deck, it is a prediction of the number and card chosen. When the spectator shuffles, it is about the spectator being able to feel the position of a card in a shuffled deck.
What would a real mindreader do?
Nikodemus
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On May 21, 2021, John7 wrote:
Um doing two quick tricks isn't necessarily twice as good as doing one slow trick in the same time. It's not always about tricks per minute (TPM). The opposite can be true if it's one GOOD intense slow trick (as an acaan can be) - the slow trick might have more impact precisely because of it's slow inevitable progress towards an impossible conclusion.


This is what my last girlfriend used to say - but I'm not sure she was talking about magic????
ipe
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of ipe
Quote:
On May 20, 2021, candlestick wrote:
when I do it by any of my four methods it is no longer an over rated trick. It is a GOOD trick! I can GUARANTEE that if I show any of my versions to a LAYMAN they will far prefer it to any other version that is around at the moment. For one thing it is over in half the time. In fact I could probably do TWO of my versions by the time anyone else does the trick once! I could then repeat the trick and could quadruple the effect that anyone else gets it with just one showing. Why? Well I would get twice the reaction with one version that you might get with a regular long winded version and if I do it again ANOTHER doubled reaction! So two plus two equals four! That means quadruple the reaction.


This was very funny. Smile

Quote:
On May 24, 2021, Nikodemus wrote:
Quote:
On May 21, 2021, John7 wrote:
Um doing two quick tricks isn't necessarily twice as good as doing one slow trick in the same time. It's not always about tricks per minute (TPM). The opposite can be true if it's one GOOD intense slow trick (as an acaan can be) - the slow trick might have more impact precisely because of it's slow inevitable progress towards an impossible conclusion.


This is what my last girlfriend used to say - but I'm not sure she was talking about magic????


This was very funny too. Smile Smile
What would a real mindreader do?
cfirwin3
View Profile
Regular user
Rochester, New York
184 Posts

Profile of cfirwin3
Shameless plug...
I just put up an ebook at penguin that deals with these issues honestly.
- Over a dozen accessible treatments.
- Several essays on methods, presentation and equivoque.
- A simple stack system that anyone can learn quickly and use confidently

And more...

If you have $6 to blow:
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/15561
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Can you show a demo of your effect please,,,,
thank you vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Nikodemus
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
[quote]On May 29, 2021, cfirwin3 wrote:
I just put up an ebook at penguin that deals with these issues honestly.

Hi Carl,
Your ad on penguin looks very professional, apart from one spelling mistake. Amature should be amateur. You might want to edit that if possible.
Nick
cfirwin3
View Profile
Regular user
Rochester, New York
184 Posts

Profile of cfirwin3
[quote]On May 30, 2021, Nikodemus wrote:
Quote:
On May 29, 2021, cfirwin3 wrote:
I just put up an ebook at penguin that deals with these issues honestly.

Hi Carl,
Your ad on penguin looks very professional, apart from one spelling mistake. Amature should be amateur. You might want to edit that if possible.
Nick

Thanks for the catch!

ehem... amateur mistake.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
LOL
cfirwin3
View Profile
Regular user
Rochester, New York
184 Posts

Profile of cfirwin3
Quote:
On May 30, 2021, vinsmagic wrote:
Can you show a demo of your effect please,,,,
thank you vinny


Vinny,

The product is a book with several effects and essays on the subject of ACAAN.
I couldn't really show video of the effects without
1. giving away methods and ideas that are otherwise being sold (again... quite affordably!)
or
2. being accused of deceptive marketing (as a major premise of the book is the issue of taking accessible methods and making them appear to fit the 'perfect' restrictions).
For example, if I posted a video, it would be the effect that appears to have the deck being shuffled, someone naming a card freely, another person naming a number freely, and a third person dealing to that exact number to find the card that was named. This would be unsatisfying to everyone because that particular approach is in a chapter titled "Tricks for the Camera"

Some of the approaches are indeed NOT made for the camera but are made for people in live settings. Another approach is designed for any moment and it comes out perfectly (card named, number named, dealt by spectator) with the deck potentially sitting in the box across the room, never touched by the performer. But again, this is just the tiniest little piece of the whole picture.

I hope you see what I am getting at here.

In my mind, the most intriguing discussion on ACAAN is not what is ACAAN vs. CAAN vs. something else. I am interested in what it takes to only ever perform ACAAN with spectators... There simply is no such thing as the other designations when methods are put in there place and presentation is made the priority.

Here is the chapter listing which is included in the advert pictures, if that helps:
CONTENTS
PREFACE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1
INTRODUCTION . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4
METHODS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6
PERCEPTION AS REALITY . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
THE POWER OF RECAP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17
PRESENTATION . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20
THE 52 CORRAL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23
TRICKS INTRODUCTION . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30
PREPARED TRICKS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 32
“ANY” . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 32
“CHANCE INTRODUCTION” . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 44
“ANY - COURT CARD STACK” . . . . . . . . . . . . . 47
“ANY… MORE”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 50
“GOING HOME” . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 54
“QUARTER TRUTH” . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 60
“FILING SUIT” . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 64
IMPROMPTU TRICKS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 66
“CUT IT OUT” . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 66
“LONG DISTANCE CALL” . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 69
“DEJA VU” . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 71
“HIVE MIND” . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 75
TRICKS FOR THE CAMERA . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 81
“ALL IN THE CARDS” . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 82
“ALL IN THE MOMENT” . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 88
COMMON STACK . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 90
CARD MANIPULATION . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 94
OVERHAND FALSE SHUFFLE . . . . . . . . . . . . . 95
UNDERSPREAD CULL / FORCE . . . . . . . . . . . . 98
CRISS-CROSS FORCE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 102
CORNER CRIMP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 104
TOP PEEK . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 107
FINAL THOUGHTS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 108
cfirwin3
View Profile
Regular user
Rochester, New York
184 Posts

Profile of cfirwin3
Quote:
On May 22, 2021, Jon Allen wrote:
For those of you who do ACAAN, what presentation do you use to make laymen care?


I talk about David Berglas and his "holy grail" trick that he would perform for enormous audiences and intimate settings alike "just like this one... just like right now". Pretty straight forward. The story always comes across as compelling. It sells the improbability of the feat, and it helps with the optics regardless of the method that I am using.

It's like talking about Harry Houdini while attempting to escape from handcuffs. Everyone loves a good piece of nonfiction!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » ACAAN (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL