The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » ACAAN (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
MikeLarkin
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of MikeLarkin
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2021, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2021, MikeLarkin wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2021, Jon Allen wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps, but something like Tamariz' Mnemonicosis has some of the elements of a ACAAN, but is far more stunning and amusing to watch due to the many layers he has added in on top of the bare bones effect.

Stripping away all presentation, why is this effect more stunning and amusing to watch for the audience than the ACAAN effect?

The layers of procedure actually make it seem more impossible. All the shuffling, the phonecall, having another spectator effectively finding the card.

You could easily graft those elements onto many standard ACAAN routines.

Yeah, but that gets away from the "perfect" Berglas-esque idea of an untouched deck in a glass case, the card and number are selected and then it turns out the card is at the number. Ideally here you would also have a spectator open the deck and do the counting.

Done in such a way, it is a real blockbuster effect, but the more compromises you put in (magician handling the deck especially) weakens the effect).

A fun and simple way is Wayne Dobson's ACAAN (Almost), which has the benefit of fulfilling most conditions while taking it out of the hands of the magician.

One of the most fun ways of putting it over while not overemphasizing the impossibility angle is Design For Laughter from Royal Road. You don't get the same pure effect, but you do get a very fun and engaging routine.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1399 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The layers of procedure actually make it seem more impossible. All the shuffling, the phonecall, having another spectator effectively finding the card.

Yeah, but that gets away from the "perfect" Berglas-esque idea of an untouched deck in a glass case, the card and number are selected and then it turns out the card is at the number. Ideally here you would also have a spectator open the deck and do the counting.

Done in such a way, it is a real blockbuster effect, but the more compromises you put in (magician handling the deck especially) weakens the effect).

I guess I don't see how Juan's Mnemonicosis trappings compromise the ideal ACAAN routine. If anything, the hands-off theater of calling a spectator and having them name a card or a number would heighten the drama and seeming impossibility.

No one says you have to perform the untouched, glass-case platonic ideal of an ACAAN. In fact, that sounds somewhat leaden — especially if you're looking to "amuse" or "stun".

The trick doesn't belong to David Berglas. It belongs to you. Make it what you want.
MikeLarkin
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of MikeLarkin
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I guess I don't see how Juan's Mnemonicosis trappings compromise the ideal ACAAN routine. If anything, the hands-off theater of calling a spectator and having them name a card or a number would heighten the drama and seeming impossibility.

No one says you have to perform the untouched, glass-case platonic ideal of an ACAAN. In fact, that sounds somewhat leaden — especially if you're looking to "amuse" or "stun".

The trick doesn't belong to David Berglas. It belongs to you. Make it what you want.

It isn't really an ACAAN, it just has a some of the same flavoring.
cfirwin3
View Profile
Regular user
Rochester, New York
184 Posts

Profile of cfirwin3
Quote:

It isn't really an ACAAN, it just has a some of the same flavoring.

I have a phase in ACR where I substitute the spectator's card with a similar one in same suit. I cut off the top half with the actual spectator's card on top and set it aside (for the reveal later) as I slip the stand-in card into the center of the bottom half. I cover the index as I slide it in with only the top pips showing and I say "This is easier to see with fewer cards... you can see it go in the middle". Then I push the card in and spread them quickly face up and say "see, it is still where we left it in the center".

Now, their card was never there to begin with, but I'm telling you, about 30% of the time, the spectator will say out loud "there it is!" or "I see it." About an additional 40% will nod in comprehension. The rest of the time, the spectator just accepts the premise even though they don't convince themselves that they caught a glimpse (or should have caught a glimpse) of the card in the spread.

This is how ACAAN can work. It is not about the conditions. It is about what the spectator is lead to believe about the situation. If they believe that all choices were completely free, and if they believe that the deck could not have been manipulated... then it is 100% Berglas Effect caliber ACAAN even if none of those conditions were actually satisfied.

I'll say it with my dying breath, what spectators are lead to believe is what is important. The truth is not only unimportant, it's irrelevant.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3139 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2021, cfirwin3 wrote:
This is how ACAAN can work. It is not about the conditions. It is about what the spectator is lead to believe about the situation. If they believe that all choices were completely free, and if they believe that the deck could not have been manipulated... then it is 100% Berglas Effect caliber ACAAN even if none of those conditions were actually satisfied.

I'm not sure I agree entirely with this. Many ACAAN presentations involve test conditions, which essentially invites the audience to deliberately focus on the state of affairs in a way that an implicit convincer may not fly as easily.

Obviously there's still some chicanery going on, but in a situation where the heat is on, arguably the only way to ensure that a choice is perceived to be completely free is to actually have that choice BE completely free.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Elite user
421 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2021, Jon Allen wrote:
If you find this card trick boring it’s not because of the card trick but rather the fault of the person doing it.

I agree with this. ACAAN is not inherently boring, as its detractors allege. Counting and dealing through cards CAN be entertaining - IF you have created a situation where everyone is desperate to see the outcome. And this comes from the impossibility of the magic. Which suggests that a good ACAAN must be simple and direct.
Likewise Open Prediction - there is drama is in the dealing.

BUT obviously too many similar effects would quickly get tedious.

(And it's perhaps worth pointing out that the counting/dealing in these effects is completely different from "procedural" effects like 21 Card Trick.)
cfirwin3
View Profile
Regular user
Rochester, New York
184 Posts

Profile of cfirwin3
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2021, The Burnaby Kid wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2021, cfirwin3 wrote:

I'm not sure I agree entirely with this. Many ACAAN presentations involve test conditions, which essentially invites the audience to deliberately focus on the state of affairs in a way that an implicit convincer may not fly as easily.

Obviously there's still some chicanery going on, but in a situation where the heat is on, arguably the only way to ensure that a choice is perceived to be completely free is to actually have that choice BE completely free.

I understand that sentiment and approach. It is true that there are other layers of the effect that can be falsified outside of the choices. But...

It is a fact that eyewitness testimony is among the least reliable forms of evidence in a court of law. The power of recap is strong... very strong. This is especially true with smaller groups of people and it's a nearly certain tactic when working with only one spectator. Their intelligence and awareness is not a factor.

Since when is magic built on truth of perception? Why should a method be bound by conditions that can be falsified and still accepted as true? Whatever a magician is trying to convey with 'proof', it is almost guaranteed to be false.
-there is nothing in this box
-I can't know your card
-I am wearing a blindfold
-this camera won't cut away
-the deck is shuffled
-your selection was fair and free
-I never touched the deck
And on and on...

This is all fair game for nuanced interpretation and targeted comprehension.

The worst thing a magician can do when developing a method is to assert (to themselves) that the conditions that are being proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, must actually be true, and the solution must conform.
The magician should always be looking for ways to "prove", beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the conditions are (or were) understood as true when in fact they were false.

The question is not how to do ACAAN with free selections... the question is how to make forced selections verifiably free.
The question is not how to do ACAAN with all 52 options available, both times... the question is how to make 1,2,10,20,etc. options look and feel like 52.
The question is not, what makes an ACAAN not a CAAN... the question is what makes "A Card" "Any Card" in the minds of spectators. This is as true when fooling magicians as it is when deal with typical spectators.

I think ACAAN is one of the most needlessly hamstrung plots that magicians discuss.

I blame the presence of cameras in everyday life. There's no need to have camera proof solutions when working with people in real time.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3139 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2021, cfirwin3 wrote:
Since when is magic built on truth of perception? Why should a method be bound by conditions that can be falsified and still accepted as true? Whatever a magician is trying to convey with 'proof', it is almost guaranteed to be false.
-there is nothing in this box
-I can't know your card
-I am wearing a blindfold
-this camera won't cut away
-the deck is shuffled
-your selection was fair and free
-I never touched the deck
And on and on...

Obviously we have to cheat at some point. Lance Pierce expressed an important idea, though, when he described magic as a game where the audience tries to catch the magician, and is disappointed when they win. The degree to which we acknowledge the existence of that game on a surface level varies according to the magician's style, but as a subtext it's almost always there in some form.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Do the best sleights you can with a regular deck ACAAN. Switch the deck out to a one way deck, w a great switch during a high point. Do some impossible amazing things.
Then switch the regular deck back in. You could meet an awful lot of conditions and free choices with that right?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » ACAAN (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL