The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » How do you use Double Back cards (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SamuraiStag
View Profile
New user
Australia
14 Posts

Profile of SamuraiStag
I recently bought some new decks and many of them came with Double Backed cards and a duplicate. While I have a number of effects to use the duplicate, I have never really used a double back card for any effects.

Welcoming any recommendations for:
-loading a double backed card during a routine
-routines or effects using double backed cards
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2622 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Afinemesh from Max Maven's wonderful book, Focus.
Exactly the reason I chose that name for a handle. . .
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
KieranMagic
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of KieranMagic
Harapan Ong's book Principia has a small section with the 4 extra cards you get in so many deck these days. 2 jokers, 1 blank face and 1 double backer. Like little packet tricks! They're cool. He's got a new book called The Four Treasures, which is some gaffed stuff, but I dunno if that's with regular gaffs ones or not.

Encyclopedia of Card Tricks has some info as well. Personally I use them for things like Darwin Ortiz' Back Off routine and for Anniversary Waltz.

There's so much stuff out there, and it feels like theres's a good book specifically for double backs, but I can't remember...
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1687 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I would add Capitulating Queens to this list as it is one of my go-to packet tricks.

The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
702 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On May 20, 2021, afinemesh wrote:
Afinemesh from Max Maven's wonderful book, Focus.
Exactly the reason I chose that name for a handle. . .

Yes !!!!
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
702 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
I've used one on occasions for the "perfect force." Looks like a single cut without a second "cut deeper"
Phil
Nikodemus
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
There are lots of effects where you use a DB as a dummy then do a double turnover. The DB just looks like the next card in the face-down deck.
Phil's example above (Balducci / Cut Deeper force is an example.

Here is another (Card to Wallet) -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRN5D0hxCK4

There are more sophisticated versions of CTW (usually requiring you to palm a card, and have a special wallet). I love this version because it is EASY - and cheeky.

[You can also buy red/blue DB's, which can be used in some amazing effects with cards from two decks of different colours.
John Bannon has a great one called Tattoo You. The effect is that the spectator signs the face of a red card, then the signature is magically transferred to a matching blue card.]
Nikodemus
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
It's quite easy to gaff a card box to secretly hold an extra card. You can use the deck as usual, then put away in the case, then take them out again for "one last trick" bringing out the DB with the rest of the deck. You can glue a piece of cardboard inside.
OR
A lot of card boxes have the image of the back pattern on the case itself. (eg some bicycle decks have these "old style" cases, but not the "standard" bicycle decks). Keep the cellophane on the deck, and slide the extra card inside it. The card matches the box so is perfectly camouflaged.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » How do you use Double Back cards (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL