The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » $TAMP by Joe Deng / The Orange Tree Studio (132 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..19~20~21 [Next]
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2021, LondonN8 wrote:
This is the type of effect I have been using for many years in my performances, Many different versions some very good some not so good. Me personally I'm performing at 2 weddings and a 40th Birthday. Bookings coming in fast so I can't complain especially as I'm so lucky to have retired when I was age 50. Magic is not work, it's something I'm so lucky to do and get paid well for, life is great. All have a great weekend be happy keep well. Smile

Does your version have an obvious defect too?
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Sorry, just late on this thread.... How do specs react to this? Do they really believe you've just squashed a metal ball???? Without doubt, this is a fantastic piece of engineering but just wondering how strong in terms a magic effect this plays?
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2021, simplymagicweb wrote:
Sorry, just late on this thread.... How do specs react to this? Do they really believe you've just squashed a metal ball???? Without doubt, this is a fantastic piece of engineering but just wondering how strong in terms a magic effect this plays?

Likely depends on how you frame it and situational context. If performing this in a set, I’m inclined to believe that they may be entertained but when they go home, they likely would think “that little trinket must have something secret about it that I would find if I had more time with it.” If it was for example, something you just left out and your guests just happened to be drawn to it and fiddle with it, at that point you can frame it with a little story and proceed to demonstrate the thing telling them in the end that this was the instructions given and you don’t really understand how it works, I believe framed in such a way (a la The Jerx), I think you would elevate it to something astonishing and magical rather than more of a “how did he do that? probably has something to do with that trinket.”

I think with things like this where a props are involved, to maximize impact, it is better for the spec to be drawn and be curious about the prop on their own rather than you presenting the prop to them first. My first encounter with this was a with one of my college professors that borrowed my pen. It was the old pen that came apart so that you can use it as a coin bender. He was hugely fascinated by it. I tipped him to what it is used for and showed it to him. He was even more impressed at that point because it’s such a specific purpose built thing. Now, if you would imagine, that pen was this coin stamp and when asked about what it was, I was to just demonstrate it and just left it at that, the impact would have had to be magnified tremendously compared to if it was just performed as a magic trick.
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Having a blast watching this $TAMP thunderstorm !!!

😂

i’ve got great news for everyone involved! I have dozens of reports of $TAMPS arriving all over the world. With lots of happy customers Smile

I just received an email from a very happy customer with a great idea of combining Stamp with another existing magic effect........ that is really a great routine.

https://kranzomagic.myshopify.com/products/pocket-mint

If you want to be updated on all the great applications and ideas make sure you stay informed by signing up for my newsletter!

Have a great Saturday Smile
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
socalguy
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
51 Posts

Profile of socalguy
Love this thread! Love the passion! It took me one viewing of the performance video to press the purchase button. For me, this simply looks FUN! Plus extremely well made. I love the idea of going into a coin bend with this freshly minted coin.
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2021, socalguy wrote:
Love this thread! Love the passion! It took me one viewing of the performance video to press the purchase button. For me, this simply looks FUN! Plus extremely well made. I love the idea of going into a coin bend with this freshly minted coin.

100% right on brother!!!

There are still a few units left but they will be gone by the end of the month I predict!!!

I just LOVE using this as a prelude to a coin bend

What a cool souvenir!!!!!
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Well, I got one and love the way it works. The tolerances on the machining are close to perfect. So I ordered a second one. I figure that way you can go to your left pocket for another ball bearing, do a ditch and switch for the second unit with the right hand, and then repeat the effect with a second ball. Will that stump people who thought they knew sort of how it worked? We'll see.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2021, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Well, I got one and love the way it works. The tolerances on the machining are close to perfect. So I ordered a second one. I figure that way you can go to your left pocket for another ball bearing, do a ditch and switch for the second unit with the right hand, and then repeat the effect with a second ball. Will that stump people who thought they knew sort of how it worked? We'll see.

Interesting idea but could be tricky to do since the stamp and container can’t be nested.

Maybe this would help..I haven’t tried it yet but I was thinking of putting a small “polishing cloth” or pad inside to keep the stamp and container from nesting inside your pocket prematurely. The justification for the cloth/pad would be to protect the delicate engravings from getting damaged. Then maybe a hair elastic to hold the entire unit together. Or you could get really fancy and make or find a small box to hold the whole unit in.

But then you still have the problem of pushing up on the gimmick on the stamp.
So perhaps a ring to go on the outside to keep the lid and the container from nesting all the way.
If you made a box it wouldn’t be difficult to build something inside the box to prevent the lid from closing all the way. Any 3D printers dare to take this on?

Maybe Joe Deng could create an add on product to make this easier to carry in your pocket?

Fun to think about even though I don’t intend on carrying mine in my pocket.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2021, videoman wrote:
Quote:

Interesting idea but could be tricky to do since the stamp and container can’t be nested.

Maybe this would help..I haven’t tried it yet but I was thinking of putting a small “polishing cloth” or pad inside to keep the stamp and container from nesting inside your pocket prematurely. The justification for the cloth/pad would be to protect the delicate engravings from getting damaged. Then maybe a hair elastic to hold the entire unit together. Or you could get really fancy and make or find a small box to hold the whole unit in.

But then you still have the problem of pushing up on the gimmick on the stamp.
So perhaps a ring to go on the outside to keep the lid and the container from nesting all the way.
If you made a box it wouldn’t be difficult to build something inside the box to prevent the lid from closing all the way. Any 3D printers dare to take this on?

Maybe Joe Deng could create an add on product to make this easier to carry in your pocket?

Fun to think about even though I don’t intend on carrying mine in my pocket.

Would a dental rubber band work? or a looped rubber band?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
You need a ring that just fits around the stamp that would keep the lid and the top separated by a quarter of an inch or so. Then you could put a rubber band around it to keep the lid from coming out of the container. Be nice if Joe Deng made these in brass but anything such as 3D printed would work, or even cut a piece from pipe or tubing.

A more elaborate version would be a small box that would have a partition built in to keep the lid and container nested but separated so it can’t close and lock, and naturally the sides of the box would keep the brass pieces from moving. And then ideally have another partition area just large enough to hold the ball to keep it all self-contained.

I’m thinking of making a box like this out of nice wood to have on display in my home, and maybe the box could also load a previously bent quarter into my hand to follow up with after the stamping effect.
Just spitballing at the moment. 😃
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Quote:

This is a great idea! I can’t tell you how many people have been ordering two at a time

Need another one for your other pocket? I got you covered Smile

KranzoMagic.com
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
I just ordered one. Looks very well made and very cool. Fantastic release.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Received mine this week. It is a cool piece for sure. It defintely locks tight! Takes a bit of effort to unlock but it is completely examinable. Here is a little idea on how I will be presenting this. Will bring out a piece of foil (approx 4 1/2" square) with a quarter impression rubbed in the foil (may do this in front of the spectators if it makes sense). Talk about as a kid it was fun to take coins and rub a piece of foil over them and make realistic impressions of coins. (let the spectator check out the foil impression)....

Then will talk about a wierd cool device I found in a antique/curio shop. Let's me really take this to another level. (As you are talking show the Stamp pieces and higlight the quarter die images). Pick up the piece of foil and roll into a tight ball between your palms...

Place the foil ball in the unit and push hard (should really look like you are putting effort into this)... let the spectator remove the plunger... dump the coin on their hand saying "Wow that really looks real... I think you might even get away with spending that!) Everything can then be examined. Very happy with this purchase!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Very cool idea! Thanks for sharing. I definitely think using the foil ball makes great sense to make the coin using your presentation idea.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Cool idea, thanks for sharing
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
You could certainly give out the mirror image tin foil coin as a souvenir.

No one will ever notice.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Another gem of an idea from the marvelous Mr. Talbot. 👍🏻

After seeing the first impression of the coin in the foil, the stamping would almost be believable, at least for a split second.
I always love it when a spec gets caught off guard and forgets it’s a magic trick for just a brief moment. You can practically hear the gears crunching in their brain. 😃

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Quote:
On Jun 16, 2021, J M Talbot wrote:
Received mine this week. It is a cool piece for sure. It defintely locks tight! Takes a bit of effort to unlock but it is completely examinable. Here is a little idea on how I will be presenting this. Will bring out a piece of foil (approx 4 1/2" square) with a quarter impression rubbed in the foil (may do this in front of the spectators if it makes sense). Talk about as a kid it was fun to take coins and rub a piece of foil over them and make realistic impressions of coins. (let the spectator check out the foil impression)....

Then will talk about a wierd cool device I found in a antique/curio shop. Let's me really take this to another level. (As you are talking show the Stamp pieces and higlight the quarter die images). Pick up the piece of foil and roll into a tight ball between your palms...

Place the foil ball in the unit and push hard (should really look like you are putting effort into this)... let the spectator remove the plunger... dump the coin on their hand saying "Wow that really looks real... I think you might even get away with spending that!) Everything can then be examined. Very happy with this purchase!
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2021, J M Talbot wrote:

Mr. Talbot you are a gentleman and a scholar! Thank you so much for sharing this great idea

For those interested it might be lworth looking up the old Paul Harris trick “the shape of astonishment“ Smile

KranzoMagic.com
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Mine’s on the way, for my youngest daughter who is really loving doing magic, but needs some self contained, easy to do stuff, and this fits the bill perfectly! I always hated the old ball through hand, as I felt it just didn’t look like what it was supposed to. But THIS is just beautiful, and John’s tinfoil routine is seriously perfect! Looking forward!

Seth
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Hey guys, thanks for the positive feedback, appreciate it. Videoman I like this idea for that small moment of "Is that really a foil coin?" that you mentioned Smile.

I see some folks above are discussing ways to carry the unit with the two pieces together. I have not found it to be an issue. Picture below shows how I pick it up with my left hand, photo shows a side view... fingers cover most of the unit from the front. With my right first finger and thumb I lift up the "plunger" twisting while I lift. At the same time the left second finger and thumb are tightly squeezing. This keeps things intact. If some mis alignment occurs it is covered by the fingers. As I diplay the plunger I can push things flush with my second finger or it will align on its own in a few moments. Sorry... trying to explain without giving too much away Smile.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » $TAMP by Joe Deng / The Orange Tree Studio (132 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..19~20~21 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL