The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Linking to a specific post (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
How can I create a link to a specific post within a long thread?
It is easy to create a link to the page the post is on. I just go to that page, and copy the URL from my browser address bar.
But I have noticed some links go straight to a particular post within the page in question - how are people creating these links?
mantel
View Profile
Special user
922 Posts

Profile of mantel
As long as the specific post you want to link to has made it to the search index it's easy. Using the advanced search function you enter the username that wrote the post you want to link in the search by username field. Enter a keyword that they wrote in the search by keyword field if the post is not recent. Click Begin Search. Find the specific post you want and copy the link address for the "View this Post" link.

Topics, forums, and posts are numbered on the magiccafe. For linking to a specific post you need to find the post number which is found by copying the link address for the quote link of a specific post. If you arrange the numbers correctly you can link to a specific post like this:

topic=701209

forum=2

post=9678253

"themagicafe.com/forums/" part of the link is removed otherwise the numbers would be replaced with ...

search_post.php?topic=701209&forum=2&post=9678253
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Thanks - that makes perfect sense!
Alexander2701
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Alexander2701
With the topic number, I understand it is located in the address bar, but how to get the form and message number?
mantel
View Profile
Special user
922 Posts

Profile of mantel
The forum # is in the address bar as well.

After you click quote the post # will be in the address bar
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Linking to a specific post (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL