The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Fraidy Cat Rabbit -vs- Hippity Hop Rabbits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
I just read through some other posts about both effects (which at times compare the two), but I would like to be purposeful in getting opinions regarding the pros and cons of these two tricks.

I have used Fraidy Cat for more than 35 years, but I was recently given a Hippity Hop by a retiring magician. I have thought about using Hippity Hop over the years, but Fraidy Cat has always gone over so well that I saw no reason to change. Also, I believe that I have only seen one other magician perform Fraidy Cat, where I have seen a large number perform Hippity Hop.

Which do you use and why? Do you use a different effect like Run Rabbit Run or The Bashful Bunny? If so, why? If you have used either at some time, why did you choose the one you are now performing?

:bunny2:

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
I've used HH Rabbits for years. Very colorful, solid routine, always catches the grown-ups off guard at the end also. The story line I use is based on Bob Markwood's from 'Poof You're A Frog'. Nice discrete message without detracting from the effect as I'm not real big on messages within the magic.

I would say Bashful Bunny is not in the same league. Very small, less colorful and flimsy. I certainly doesn't pack the same visual punch.

Never had Fraidy Cat Rabbit.

Even though it seems to Magi that HH Rabbits has been done to death, 98% of the people have never seen it before. Of the 2% that have, half forget exactly how it goes and the other half can't wait to see it again because it's that good.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I like Fraidy-Cat Rabbit better than Hippity-Hop Rabbits strictly from a logistical standpoint. I can pull my FCR out of my case, do my routine and then throw it back into the case and I'm done.

HH requires at least one additional table which means more set up time.

Myself, I like to come into the room, open my case, do the show, close the case and be ready to leave. No set-up, no break down which is why I prefer FCR to HH.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
I work out of a suitcase table and place the Rabbits behind the table (on the floor) until time for the routine. Then I do the routine on top of the table, shoulder length apart. No extra table needed.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3500 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2004-06-18 01:03, Payne wrote:
I like Fraidy-Cat Rabbit better than Hippity-Hop Rabbits strictly from a logistical standpoint. I can pull my FCR out of my case, do my routine and then throw it back into the case and I'm done.

HH requires at least one additional table which means more set up time.

Myself, I like to come into the room, open my case, do the show, close the case and be ready to leave. No set-up, no break down which is why I prefer FCR to HH.

I agree! Hippity Hop Rabbits are my favorites, too; but unless you're trying to spread out your act to fill the stage area, Fraidy Cat is the way to go. He (she?) can be worked in your hands without a table. I've worked it standing on a chair for a gazillion kids and mine was the only bit that made it into the local t.v. news!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7445 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I also vote for the Fraidy Cat Rabbit for the previously mentioned reasons. I don't need an extra table. I can do the whole routine in my hands.

I looked at a large jumbo one but it doesn't pack as well. One has to only see Chris Capehart do the Fraidy Cat to realize the standard size is more than adequate.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
My audience just love the rabbits - not using a live animal production, it still leaves them with the image of a magician and a rabbit.
vincentmusician
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
141 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
Fraidy Cat gets my vote too. The parlour size which can be performed hand held. Instant reset. Angle proof. Great for outdoors or inside. Fun audience participation and lots of comedy. Easy to do. It has all the checks. It has become one of my favourites. Cheers!
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1858 Posts

Profile of Anatole
One of my problems with "Hippity Hop Rabbits" is that they are often in garish colors--red, blue etc. When was the last time you saw a blue rabbit?
Also, the patter story never quite appealed to me.
On the other hand, "Fraidy Cat Rabbit" features a white and a black rabbit--more natural colors--and a story that makes sense. Turning "as white as a ghost" is a familiar expression, at least in English. As someone who appreciates the art of cartooning (I am a cartoonist myself), I think the Fraidy Cat Rabbits are drawn better. The faces of the Fraidy Cat Rabbits are IMHO better drawn than the faces of the Hippity Hop Rabbits.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Fraidy Cat Rabbit -vs- Hippity Hop Rabbits (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL