The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need an Idea (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mightytimbo
View Profile
New user
Franklin Park, NJ
49 Posts

Profile of mightytimbo
Hey Guys-

Need an idea from you. I just placed an order with penguin magic. For fun I had them grab any random playing card they had sitting around the office and seal it in a manila envelope and send it to me.

I thought it would be a fun "Pick a card/Reveal"

Here's the problem.

I don't have a plan for the reveal.

If anyone has a good thought for this I'd love to hear it. If it needs to be explained in detail feel free to PM so as not to reveal methods. You can reply in the thread if you're just going to refer to the name of tricks or something.

Let me know what you think.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9093 Posts

Profile of funsway
There are some way you can learn the identity of the card without breaking the seal. The easiest is to use a copy machine and play with the contrast settings.
If it is pip card you may be able to see the density difference.

If you can learn it, you can still truthfully say, "A playing card completely unknown to me was sealed in this envelope and never opened. No one has see that card since."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
50 Posts

Profile of Merodach
Sometimes shedding some lig*t on the matter also helps (if a copy machine is not available).
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2026 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Not sure what your plan was, but if you have someone else open it, you can use a Brainwave or Ultramental deck to show you predicted it.

Patrick
Kastro
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Kastro
How to choose the right deck?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3500 Posts

Profile of Julie
How about making that card one of the choices for a Mental Epic presentation?

Julie
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3500 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2021, Julie wrote:
How about making that card one of the choices for a Mental Epic presentation?

Julie

Or ANY other organic one-ahead type performance?

J
electronics_magician
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of electronics_magician
Why do they have to seal it? What does that add?

Audience don't know who Penguin magic is.
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
50 Posts

Profile of Merodach
I would think that sealing implies that it has not been tampered with during the performance.
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
I've been holding my tongue because I didn't want to seem harsh, especially given that this is the beginnerss area. Started posting at least a half dozen times and then deleting. But here goes.

This entire exercise is a waste of time. There is no need to have Penguin seal an unknown card for you as it would mean nothing to the audience. You could just state that before the show you pulled out a card and inserted it into the envelope without looking. However, there is also the fact that few in the audience will believe you that you do not know the card. The only way that the premise works is to do all of this in front of the audience. In this case you now have something to work on method wise.

Please take this criticism for what it is meant to be, a learning lesson. One of the things you need to learn as a magician is how to look at things from the audience perspective. Often magicians will attempt to fix something that isn't really a problem or work on an effect that in the end isn't really a good trick.
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
50 Posts

Profile of Merodach
That's a great point. We have to always think about the audiences perspective and mentality. I think Magicians default to always looking at an effect as a magician (at least some magicians - universal statement/primse not intended).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need an Idea (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL