We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Prestige by Hide Magic (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3225 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Got it and I will review soon in Breakfast Mentalism Smile
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1745 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
I think the numbers disappearing is a nice theatrical way to end the trick. People would probably assume it was some sort of dry erase marker, not gimmicked cards. Which is fine with me because again, it's just a nice theatrical ending to the trick (not a mind-blowing effect, though still startling).

It shows that you think about additional details in presentation. And to me, it does make sense presentationally - he mentions "you didn't have another choice". It's a nice theatrical way of showing them that you knew what they would choose all along and that it was inevitable.

I could be wrong and it makes it weaker, I have no idea. I really like how this looks though.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1907 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
It does look great. And it’s surprising and funny, especially if you choose the right word. At the same time I think it really weakens the bank night effect. I just don’t see a way to work around that.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1745 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 21, 2021, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
It does look great. And it’s surprising and funny, especially if you choose the right word. At the same time I think it really weakens the bank night effect. I just don’t see a way to work around that.

Are we still discussing the disappearing numbers? If so, I don't understand what you mean by "especially if you choose the right word".

I can see how, if you're trying to make it look like chance, or if you were a straight mentalist, that you wouldn't want the numbers to disappear. But I would use it as a display of influence, and so it would be perfectly fine by me to vanish the numbers at the end. It fits my style and I think it would play very well.

Not everything has to make sense. Like reading minds and then revealing that you predicted it. It makes no sense - but it works. And it works well. People love it. Only mentalists complain lol
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1907 Posts

I guess I’m a mentalist...
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
dvno
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamburg
303 Posts

Profile of dvno
I won’t use the disappearing numbers. Guess I will do something where I pick several people at once and tell the audience that probably some of them would pick a different number - but only one number is the „losing number“ so it’s kind of my task to figure out which spectator would pick this number but without telling me anything. Or something like that. Just a thought.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2618 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2021, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
I guess I’m a mentalist...

Ditto. To read someone's mind or predict a choice as a piece of mentalism can really make spectators wonder if it was perhaps for real. But then to perform something magical gets them to reappraise what you do and are showing. It all depends on the impression you want to create.
Roberto W
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
I guess this is where the discussion of ‘mixing magic with mentalism’ comes in. I would be very surprised if any mentalist using this for a demonstration of influence, psychology etc then follows it up with making the writing disappear (basically performing a magic trick with it). However I can see how a magician using this, could use the ending of the writing disappearing as a kicker.

For mentalists, I think this looks very clean, innocent and in a way organic for either force or the mental influence presentation.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1745 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 22, 2021, NeilS wrote:

Ditto. To read someone's mind or predict a choice as a piece of mentalism can really make spectators wonder if it was perhaps for real. But then to perform something magical gets them to reappraise what you do and are showing. It all depends on the impression you want to create.

I mostly agree. My personal goal is to entertain, not to convince. That's why it doesn't bother me one bit. But just because you do something that seems real, and then do something "magic-y", to me doesn't necessarily mean they'll reappraise what they originally saw. It just adds layers.
Roberto W
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
But I think it depends on what you are trying to convey or portray from your performance I think. If you are portraying you are a mentalist (which you would not want any of your effects to indicate or relate to anything magic portraying you as a magician) then you would not follow the selection process with making the writing disappear - which indicates magic trick/you are a magician. If you perform a magic show or your character is in some way perceived or implied as a magician, then yes this could be a nice kicker ending incorporating it in with your magic show adding the layers as you said which would look good.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1745 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 22, 2021, Roberto W wrote:
But I think it depends on what you are trying to convey or portray from your performance I think. If you are portraying you are a mentalist (which you would not want any of your effects to indicate or relate to anything magic portraying you as a magician) then you would not follow the selection process with making the writing disappear - which indicates magic trick/you are a magician. If you perform a magic show or your character is in some way perceived or implied as a magician, then yes this could be a nice kicker ending incorporating it in with your magic show adding the layers as you said which would look good.

That's why I said I mostly agree. But disappearing numbers don't have to be "magic". That's just an assumption. It can be sleight of hand, it can be hypnosis, it can be a false memory, it can be misdirection, etc. It can be whatever you make it.
Roberto W
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Yes you are right I think by dressing up any effect how you want, but it’s what your audience perceives and views you based on what you are performing. I personally don’t think you could get away with convincing an audience they have all seen something one minute with all the writing on each card, the next it magically disappearing… but that was hypnosis and it was never there to begin with. As a force tool (for mentalists/magicians) I think this is very clever as with the cleanness and innocence of it, but making the writing disappear as a follow on for mentalists in my opinion is a no, just from how I think they would perceive things and that part looking too magicy which I believe to them would indicate magic prop.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1907 Posts

I also have to disagree you can present that as anything. Hypnosis? I mean of course you can, but I don't see anyone in the audience buying that, by which I mean entering the realm of suspension of disbelief. (Or even have a slight bit of doubt, for that matter.) They will just think: sure, blah blah, cut the cr#@. They will probably appreciate the trick, but not the presentation or patter. Which sadly is smth you can get away with in magic, but has also caused it to have a bad rep of being boring and smarta**y..
Roberto W
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Exactly and very true I think and that’s my point I guess. Yes you can dress this up anyway anyone wishes, but it all depends on how and what you are trying to convince to your audience and how you are portraying yourself as a performer. If you come under genre as portraying/being a magician you can perform this any way with or without the kicker ending of the writing disappearing or not (because you are performing magic). But if you are performing straight mentalism (trying to convince you are not a magician performing magic tricks) or hypnosis, that last part making the writing disappear will I feel diminish your credibility and your audience will then look at you as just a magician who has just performed a magic trick. I don’t believe (like unmasked magician has said) you will convince any audience no matter how you dress it up, that the writing disappearing is anything other than a magic trick using a prop.
psylocke
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of psylocke
Does this can be used with the same goal of Philpott's 100th monkey? The spectator on stage reads one thing and the rest of the audience reads something different.

RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5526 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2021, psylocke wrote:
Does this can be used with the same goal of Philpott's 100th monkey? The spectator on stage reads one thing and the rest of the audience reads something different.

Do you mean Dual Reality?
psylocke
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of psylocke
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2021, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2021, psylocke wrote:

Do you mean Dual Reality?

In performance you momentarily take away the spectator's ability to read words.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1745 Posts

Sure it'd be tough to sell this as hypnosis, but I would never say it's impossible.

All I think is that a straight mentalist could add little sprinkles of magic in their show (not adding tricks, but adding visual moments that amplify the theatrics and presentation) and all it would do is add some more showmanship and audience enjoyment, not diminish their believability. Again, this is just my opinion and I'm not saying every mentalist could or should try to pull it off.

It all comes back to how this all began - what do you want your audience to experience.
Roberto W
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
I personally believe by choosing what effects you perform either strengthens your portrayal as a mentalist (not a magician) or hinders your perception to them with effects that could look to them like ‘tricks’ resulting in the perception of them just thinking you are a magician.

Taking aside the possible hypnosis angle, if any straight mentalist introduced this making the writing simply disappear, in the audiences eyes they have just seen a trick because performing mind reading, psychology, influence etc there is no need or logic for a mind reading show why a mind reader needs to make something vanish - unless you have a magic and mind reading mixed show (but by that you are admitting you are a magician). Introducing the vanish of the writing just screams magic trick/prop, so anything before or after you perform (straight mentalism) would loose any credibility of you being anyone else in their eyes than now just a magician. The result of this will be them thinking you’ve just performed a trick, what else is a trick dressed up and acted as something else.

Just my opinion but yes I think the effect is very good, innocent, clean and organic as a force application which mentalists can use as mental influence, intuition angle but making the writing magically disappear is a no (if performing straight mentalism). Sorry for waffling and hope that comes across ok and makes sense (speaking as a mentalist myself)
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3225 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Got mine today is a really interesting prop and I can see using it. The only problem I see is that is extremely fragile in fact there is something that will inevitably break and to reset
For me at least will be a bit painful… in fact I was wondering if the gimmik will work even without that “thing” and just using the hand to make it work…
I am sure that can be a good opener especially for social distancing issue and also is very visual.
Packaging is great and all is stored un a nice felt bag.
I think if was me releasing this I was probably using different materials (plastic) and a more sturdy method (which I already have in mind…)
Overall us a good product that will fit mentalists and magicians.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Prestige by Hide Magic (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL