The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Low-sleight effect or two for walkaround (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Neil
Most of my magic is sleight of hand stuff but I'm looking to research a few new effects suitable for walkaround or table that are low in sleights - to take the heat off when performing under pressure when the old hands are still a bit shakey - something I can concentrate on the performance if not 100% but 80% at least! So I guess we're looking at gaffed stuff really. Ideally I'd like the stuff not to look obviously gaffed, nothing that looks like it could only have come out of a magic shop. It could be card (as long as I can appear to pull them out of a normal deck) but non-card would be preferable. Something really amazing would be good.

Thx
Tom James
View Profile
Regular user
Cincinnati, Ohio
139 Posts

Profile of Tom James
Neil,

I have this effect that I sell. It is mine and it is a card trick but has no sleights at all, but it looks like it. I sell the trick for $15. What you get is the trick, instuctions ( which include a bonus routine by Boris Wild), and DVD insturtion ( with a bonus trick by me called No Way). Dan Harlan has used this trick and there are other magicians who have it like Eugene Burger, Eric Anderson, and Jay Sankey. If you want a copy you will not be dissapoited, since I have sold about 500 of them in about 5 months, and that number grows with the more lectures I do. The trick is an instant reset, and you can use it in your normal red backed biycle deck. If you want one pm me and I will give you the address to send the money and shipping will be free.

Keep the Magic ALIVE

Tom
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
So what is the effect?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you get the sleights down pat, there is no need to be shakey or nervous. If they are angly, and too difficult in those conditions, DON'T USE 'EM.

There is so much magic out there it is mind boggling. Look to the old classics.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
frank
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore, MD
109 Posts

Profile of frank
Neil:

A couple classics that come to mind are the Invisible Deck and B'Wave (packet trick).

Also, I've had fun with stuff from "15 Minute Card
Miracles." Check it out at: http://geocities.com/fjbuono/15minorder.html

Frank
FREE 5 Day Get Your First Restaurant Show Email Mini Course - to sign up...
Send a Blank Email Here:[email]freemagicinfo@getresponse.com[/email]
Tom James
View Profile
Regular user
Cincinnati, Ohio
139 Posts

Profile of Tom James
The effect? the effect you ask. Well two red aces are shown to the spectator and while in the spectators hands four cards appear two red backed and two blue backed. When you turn over the red back cards they have changed to jokers and the blue cards are now the red aces. You put all four cards back togeather and in the spectators hands and when you remove them they are back to being red backed red aces. You can keep the gimmicks in your regular deck. they can be dribbled, sprung, and shuffled and with some practice you can riffle shuffle them. Pretty versitle for a gimmick.

Tom
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Neil
I do have the sleights down pat but I still get shakey at the start of a performance. I know there is no "need" but it happens! Smile I've been doing presentations, etc. for years in business but I still get shakey for the first two minutes. That's after 15 years of doing that so I guess it's just the way I am. Not all sleights are as bad as each other but fiddly card sleights are the worst. After 20 mins all is fine but I'd like a few low-sleight effects for those moments.

The ID is in my repetoire but usually used as a closer since many people are so impressed with it they won't concentrate afterwards.

Ideally I'd like some non-card stuff magicman6900 but that does sound interesting. Maybe I'll PM you.

Any non-card ideas?
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Cards:
If you consider a DL to be a "low sleight", then start with Red Hot Mama then go to Doc Daley's Last Trick. If you prefer something easier, then Daryl's Untouched and Gemini Twins are good stand-bys. Could even do Skinner's Monte.

Non-Coins: I recommend a CSB routine as all that is required is a sound handling as a CSB set isn't that difficult to work. There are some great routines out there and it really looks like magic.

I also recommend looking at and reinforcing your mis-direction. A good dose of mis-direction slows down time so you can get a lot more in under the radar. That tends to remove some of the heat and relax one's mind, because the magician then knows he's keeping the spectator looking or thinking in the wrong direction. GL!
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Neil:

If you get Side Swiped, you will not be disappointed. It fulfills your requirments and is (by most definitions) slight free. The only “move” is a Criss-Cross cut.

A little shaking will not hurt this trick.

Bob
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have a line I use on my opening bit. I do the Edward Victor Bat Trick... and I say, "It is important at the beginning of this trick to rest the end of the bat on the table... (do so) because that way if I'm nervous and shaking (lift off table and 'shake') it doesn't show."

This gets a laugh and also RELAXES me... no more shakes.

Another way is to chat with the spectator's for a brief minute, let them know you and you know them, then move into the mojo.
Alan Morgan
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Alan Morgan
Healed and Sealed Soda, if you can handle the inconveniences that it can bring up in some situations.

Dynamic Coin Trick (perform it on one palm, as a table. It looks REALLY good like that). It looks like a sleight-filled cups and balls routine. Only there are no sleights what-so-ever!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
How about an old reliable card trick that can lead into your "heavier" stuff--it's hard to go wrong with the 52 on 1` (with the force card on the back) or the l-o-n-g ten of spades, and you'll begin with a smile!
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
When working tables, one of my favorites is a variation on, "Out to Lunch."
In my case, I use my own business card.
I draw a "Victorian house" outline on the back of it and, above that, a simple 'sheet' ghost. I have the spectator put their initials in the house, indicating that they are playing the role of ghost hunter. I then turn the card over and have them initial or sign the front, and then lay the pen on top of the card.
Taking out an Okito Voodoo Doll, I talk about how a lwa doll draws in the lwa (spirits) and declare it is drawing in the 'ghost' from the card, as the doll stands up on my hand. When the spectator turns the card over, the ghost is gone, leaving only the house and their initials.
The beauty is that the spectator retains my business card as a 'souvenir.'

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
Are you sure it's the sleights that makes you nervous? At one time, I experienced nervousness when performing, and after I analyzed it, it always appeared when I was using a gimmick. That means, that any one familiar with the gimmick might say, "That's a special deck of cards called Brainwave..." and the trick was ruined.
After that, I resorted to only sleight of hand. No one has ever said, "That's the Marlo-Damico multiple shift," Smile and it's been years since I was nervous performing. Smile
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Neil
Thanks - some great tips and suggestions there. More welcomed of course.
Elputty
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
114 Posts

Profile of Elputty
I have a couple of tricks that are pretty easy to do that I always use to open to get my nerves settled. Two card monte is at the top of the list, followed closely by an Invisible Deck and pen/bill penetration. But yeah, the most important thing is really concentrating on interacting with the specatators, then the magic will just happen...if you know the magic.

Adam
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Get Don Alan's BIG DEAL... no work, strong magically and a fun kicker... after that you OWN the spectators, and can get away with murder.

It requires NO SKILL and packs flat (uses a couple of jumbo cards in your pocket and a non gimmicked deck).
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
Hundy 500! But it'll cost you $606.00
Worth every penny!

shawn
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-06-21 07:01, broothal wrote:
Are you sure it's the sleights that makes you nervous? At one time, I experienced nervousness when performing, and after I analyzed it, it always appeared when I was using a gimmick. That means, that any one familiar with the gimmick might say, "That's a special deck of cards called Brainwave..." and the trick was ruined.
After that, I resorted to only sleight of hand. No one has ever said, "That's the Marlo-Damico multiple shift," Smile and it's been years since I was nervous performing. Smile

Christian, pretty funny and right on the mark!!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
Richard Sanders' "Magic Marker" is a great one where the chosen card's name appears printed on the marker's label. All you need is a Top Change or a Double Lift.

My "Really Cool Rising Cards" is an in-the-box rising card trick where you can hand them the deck and the box at the end and they will never find the gaff. (Most of the time, they don't even look.) Even magicians won't find the gaff, which you can keep aside and ring in or out whenever you like. No sleights.

For non-cards, I'd concur with CSB, and Paul Green has an excellent Hopping Half routine in his "In the Trenches" DVD that can easily be adapted to CSB.

I do "Wonderland Bill" and "B'Wave" in combination and this works great as an opener, especially with ladies.

When kids and crayons are present, you can do the Crayon Mind Reading trick, which is so old no one has seen it! No sleights and every kid wants you to read their mind.

Hope this helps,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Low-sleight effect or two for walkaround (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL