The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Square circle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
What significant "improvements" have been made (and by whom) to this Louis Histed classic?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I'm not sure if it would be an improvement but a variation of it, which I also own, is the outer square cabinet was replaced with an open front round tube. Same effect but a different appearance.
Where the magic begins
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
As a youngster, I had Abbott's "Round Circle". This was a nice hunk of Magic for $6.50 (now I'm really dating myself!).
You received a heavy copper outer tube with two circular cut-outs, a chrome inner tube, the "feke" and a round brass tray to set everything on. The "new" addition here was the feke being made with a concave section which made the method of concealment much more effective, even at close range. Another advantage to the concave feature is you can insert a wand or even your fingers into the larger outer tube with the cutouts while the feke is in place and it really looks empty!

Later I owned Grant's Daylight Production Tubes which I really think is an innovation. Same basic set-up, but the insides of the tubes and the feke are made of shiny metal. This looks about as "honest" as you can get.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There have been some improvements in the various methods of cutting down the visibility of the black art sections. For example, if you use triple velvet or black triacetate velour for the BA sections and you use expanded aluminum for the grill work, you cannot see the gaff from as close as 18 inches in normal daylight.

Also, Don Redmon had a version that combined the Phantom Tube principle with the BA principle, and even had one that produced a goldfish bowl at the end.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I remember Towne House (or someone like that) having a nice Square Circle with a bird in a cage production for a finale. The cage was as big as the inner tube and stood upright (didn't collapse)!
asdffdsa
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of asdffdsa
I don’t know if you call this a significant improvement, but both Don Redmon and Edwin Hooper get my vote as the variety of principles employed.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Horace Marshall made one with a large bush production that was taller than the tube (non botania). Okito (with Redmon) put in the botania load.

Eric Lewis mentioned Yellow Art in his trilogies instead of black art use yellow felt.

I think Fred Hanchen was the one of the first to use the slightly tapered load chamber to ease the loading.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
The Haenchen product was known as the Triangle Tube Production. The very clever modification here was the outer "box" was a triangular shape and the three sides were HINGED together. This configuration facilitated a much more convincing showing of the simplicity of the props and absolutly nowhere for the load to be concealed.

I believe George Robinson at Viking owns the rights to all the Haenchen material. This would be a great item to reintroduce to the Magic market.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Right now George has his hands full with all of the other stuff he is trying to manufacture. It is very difficult for him to build the Viking line, the Haenchen line and the Collector's Workshop line and keep the quality up, without introducing new items.

He has just completely re-worked the gumball machine so that it works every time.

But it's not a bad suggestion.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
GARY DARWIN in Las Vegas, has created a totally new look to the prop and literally will fool those even that know the principle.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2004-06-20 16:30, Pete Biro wrote:
GARY DARWIN in Las Vegas, has created a totally new look to the prop and literally will fool those even that know the principle.

Is his version for sale or is it a personal use item? Where can I get more information on his S.C.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Although this may better rest in the workshop forum, it seems to fit this thread...

Many years ago, I found two round trash cans that while supposed to be the same size, would actually nest perfectly due to a manufacturing flaw. They immediately became the tube and BA tube for this type of prop.

They were of such a size that they were immediately considered for a head cremation that operated under the same principle. After the bottoms were removed, in the smaller tube, I fixed a partition made from a metal pie pan near, but below the top to become the fire pan (sealed at the seams for obvious safety), and put in separaters to keep the wicking insulated from the metal pan and tube to reduce heat transfer. I then proceeded to construct the prop from that point up.

Being severely budget limited at that time, I opted to make the outer box from dumpster-donated foam core board (department store display signs) attached to a lightweight wooden frame. The neck stock was made from scrap lumber and purchased hardware. The entire outfit was finished, not with paint, but with plain-color fabrics. The decorative fabric was glued on and sealed with a diluted glue mixture (very durable, I found out). The BA areas were treated normally with black felt. The front opening of the box was fitted with cage bars of wood dowel covered with white contact paper.

It worked perfectly for the intended function, but closer to the point of this thread, the prop used in this configuration, would later function to unexpectedly produce a huge rabbit while preparing to do the cremation trick. I also found that by inverting the BA tube, it was basically a square circle with a gigantic load chamber. Thus, I now had a "new" prop that could be used when the cremation trick was inappropriate.

My construction methods have advanced considerably since then, but considering how durable, functional, practical, and cheap this thing was, I sometimes wish I hadn't given it away!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
As a point of interest, Mel Babcock made a special run a few years ago of a Square Circle featuring the tappered load chamber. It really wasn't a square CIRCLE, it was a square TRAPAZOID. This was one of a very few of his items that actually looked better in the painted version than in the natural wood.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I also made my own when I was a kid. I decorated a cracker box with yellow construction paper, and blue stars, and moons, along with glitter and other magical symbols. I then used a juice can, which I cut both ends off of to form the tube, and decorated that in blue construction paper, and yellow trim. turned out really well, and I still use it 20 years later! I supported the corners with wooden sticks under the construction paper, and it has held up good.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Square circle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL