The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Making extra money at shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-07-21 08:16, Al Angello wrote:
Instant author books are nice, but there are lots of other items that you can make good money on too.

Danny
When you get a job in a library they usually have a budget limit, so you are only going to get so much from the librarian, but most kids at library shows show up with a parent, and the parent's purchases after your show can easily be more than your fee. So you can turn a $200 show into a $500 pay day with a few smart BOR items.

I don't doubt this for a second. I do not claim you can't make money doing it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Really, how lazy are you to have to purchase someone else's work and pass it off a your own? Then knowing others are out there doing the same thing? Really. Your audience are lay people. Writing something basic for lay people really is something that is so simple it can be done in a few hours at the least, but surely in a day or weekend.

Sit down, make an outline of 5-10 topics you wish to cover or address. That is your outline (or Table of Contents). Sit down and either write or use a tape recorder and start talking about your thoughts on each topic. Clean it up, edit, and transcribe it (or have someone to it for you for $25), and you have you own product that you can easily get printed (just the same as you have to with instant author kits) and you then have your own creation of your own work, thoughts and beliefs, and you are truly an author.

If you are not that skilled enough or are too lazy to do this, and do not take enough pride in your own work and public image, you more than likely are not at the level to be doing this. Really. Why are magician's so lazy, especially when it comes to business and their professional image?

Why be a hack, when you can be the real thing?
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Danny (and Billy Hilly) -I totally respect and value your opinion on concerns of creating instant author books. I will speak for my self and say that my primary purpose in using one was to get the artwork (drawings) that I would otherwise have to pay someone to do. The tricks themselves are in the public domain. I added additional material and rewrote the instructions for the most part. I did not think what I was doing was unethical, because the seller stated that he paid to have the drawings produced for this purpose. I would like to hear other opinions on this, as this is the first time I have seen a counter argument to the instant author books.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I don't see a thing wrong with using a ghostwriter. Some people just can't write well and it would be crazy for them to
put out a bad book when they could get help from a professional.

Is it wrong for the President to give a speech that he didn't write? He never writes a speech.

What about all the great Comedians on TV, they all have writers. Shouldn't they tell their own jokes?

Singers have songwriters and seldom do they publicly give the writers credit.

Magicians use tricks/routines all the time that they bought. What's the difference in using a preprinted book?

Many famous writers have unseen helpers. Why are magicians different?

Tom
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
PS: and of course if it makes you feel better, you could always use a fine print disclaimer in the book.
Something like, "A part of this book is from private label rights material."

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tom you are making your famous straw man arguments. None of which apply to any point we have made.

The reason 90% of people use them is a fast buck and you know it. Why not just take an act? Oh never mind many already do.

Where is the line? Passing yourself off as something you are not...again never mind. Nothing to see here.

In an unrelated story magicians continue to wonder why people don't tend to take them seriously.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
The deception still is the same - anyone buying the book believes it is your work and comes from your views, experience and skills. It's not if you are using an instant author product or have someone do it for you if it's not your words, ideas, views and content.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Oh I agree, you shouldn't just steal stuff. I'm just not sure compiling a book with public domain tricks is stealing.
Or paying someone to write something for you is all that wrong.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I tell you my.main problem. It sort of diminishes what we do by saying you can but the tricks in the lobby.

Having someone put your name on some public domain tricks and claim authorship is not my cup of tea.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Danny - I do not think it is wrong to provide a book of beginner tricks and cool stuff that may inspire the young. after all, that is how many here got their start. None of the material from my show is in the book and I make clear that these are tricks I liked when I was their age.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am saying it is not for me. Not saying it is wrong. I should say I think it diminishes what I do, not what we do.

I am speaking for me and only me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Quote:
On 2012-07-21 02:16, Donald Dunphy wrote:
What about ghostwriters and graphic designers who can help you write books or design promotional products?

Is it the mass copying of a single source that is the problem, or are there objections with using any sort of ghostwriter?

- Donald

Donald,

First, congratulations again on gettin' hitched. I wish you both a world of happiness.

As to the ghost writer thing, if acknowldgement is given then I don't see a problem. If the book says something like: My Book by Bill Hilly, written by (or even Written in part by) Ghost Writer, then that's honest. If it just says My Book by Bill Hilly then that ain't honest.

I play and record cover songs along with my own material. On the albums, I must give credit (and pay a fee) to the writer/publisher/copyright holder for each song recorded. In shows, I also give credit to the writer in the introduction.

So, my opinion is, it's all about giving proper credit.

- B.H.
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Quote:
On 2012-07-21 11:18, charliecheckers wrote:
Danny (and Billy Hilly) -I totally respect and value your opinion on concerns of creating instant author books. I will speak for my self and say that my primary purpose in using one was to get the artwork (drawings) that I would otherwise have to pay someone to do. The tricks themselves are in the public domain. I added additional material and rewrote the instructions for the most part. I did not think what I was doing was unethical, because the seller stated that he paid to have the drawings produced for this purpose. I would like to hear other opinions on this, as this is the first time I have seen a counter argument to the instant author books.

Charlie,

Thanks for your the responsible thoughts there. It wouldn't be wrong to use the drawings since that's their intended use. I think the right thing to do is list the artist in the book's credits though. And using public domain material is always legal, whether it's music, drawings, or text. So that's cool.

And by adding your own material.. well that just shows you're thinking. Good going.

- B.H.
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Quote:
On 2012-07-21 11:54, TomBoleware wrote:
I don't see a thing wrong with using a ghostwriter. Some people just can't write well and it would be crazy for them to
put out a bad book when they could get help from a professional.

Is it wrong for the President to give a speech that he didn't write? He never writes a speech.

What about all the great Comedians on TV, they all have writers. Shouldn't they tell their own jokes?

Singers have songwriters and seldom do they publicly give the writers credit.

Magicians use tricks/routines all the time that they bought. What's the difference in using a preprinted book?

Many famous writers have unseen helpers. Why are magicians different?

Tom

Combining posts:
Quote:
On 2012-07-21 12:26, TomBoleware wrote:
PS: and of course if it makes you feel better, you could always use a fine print disclaimer in the book.
Something like, "A part of this book is from private label rights material."

Tom

I agree that using a ghost writer can greatly help make a better book. My take on it is in giving credit to the person for his/her work. And I miss the days when presidents wrote their own speeches. I think Nixon was the last one to do that.

And yes comedians having been using writers for years. There's a great story in George Burns's book about a joke he bought. On TV and in theaters where programs are used, the writers are always listed. Stand-up comedians don't do that, and neither do bar singers.

But on albums, and in many many concerts of a professional level, the writers, or more specifically the copyright holders, are always given credit. And they are also paid. Even if I stilled played in clubs the copyright holders would get paid for every song I did. That's why clubs, restaurants, and theaters are required to pay BMI, ASCAP, and SESAC fees. And the "better" singers usually give the writer credit in their song intros.

As you mentioned last there, the proper thing to do is give credit where credit is due. Sort of a rhyme there Smile

Hey guys, I apperciate the civil discourse here. Thanks.

- B.H.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Making extra money at shows (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL