The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » TCC Spirit Slates Mini (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Did anyone order and receive the new set of Spirit Slates from TCC?

If you did, did you remove the film from the slates yet?

If yes, how did it go?

I am hesitating in doing so because I do not want to mess it up. You need to cut around the perimeter of each slate with a box cutter.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Wow! It looks like I am the only one who bought this.

I may have a collectible so maybe should not remove the film. That could ruin the future high value of it.

Smile
kiketron
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of kiketron
How good are they?

Magnetic principle? Do they lock?
Step into the unknown
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Well, I have not used them yet because I did not yet remove the protective film.

I would be happy to answer your questions in the Secret Session place once I have the answers.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

I can tell you this. The wood frames are really nice! I also like the substantial weight of them.

Operationally, time will tell. If I do not get a response here by the end of the week, I may just go ahead and remove the film ever so carefully.
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
748 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
Here’s a link to the product: https://www.tccpresents.com/products/min......oyce-luo
TCC Magic
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of TCC Magic
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2021, Magical Moments wrote:

If yes, how did it go?

I am hesitating in doing so because I do not want to mess it up. You need to cut around the perimeter of each slate with a box cutter.

Hello Magical Moments, The video instructions mention how to remove the plastic film.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 2, 2021, TCC Magic wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2021, Magical Moments wrote:

If yes, how did it go?

Hello Magical Moments, The video instructions mention how to remove the plastic film.

I am aware of that. I am also aware that he was having a bit of trouble doing so.

In addition, I cannot tell how well it went because you could not see the slates close up.

There are better ways to apply protective film which could be easily removed without having to cut into the slates.
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Wow! These look really gorgeous! I love that while they are "mini" they aren't as small as most mini slates, which generally look like toys. Perfect for a close up seance! My order will be in shortly!

Seth
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I agree Seth, and, a lot of other props in their line-up look strong as well. I love my drawer box, so I think I'll need to try the slates as well... and maybe another item, or two.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Yes, I love that Drawer Box and the new TIME BOX.

I also like the slates but not thrilled with the required preparation.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Hi Magical Moments, I received these slates today, along with the Time Box. Both are beautiful, but I agree, the film on the slates is ridiculous. They must have had the film applied prior to assembly to prevent scratching so the only way to remove the film is by trimming. How did you end up removing it? I'm hesitant as you were.

I also don't understand why they didn't include a ma***t to remove the gi***ck with. Even in the video he's struggling to remove it. This company seems so go at making quality props that you would expect that they'd hammer out these details as well. Not disappointed though. Both items are stunning.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Hi Wizard, I have not yet removed the film. Been distracted with other purchases so put the film removal on the back burner.

Yes, a ma***t would have been a great idea. I actually attempted to use a ma***t to remove the gi***ck but it was not strong enough so looking for another one. I actually put an undesirable mark on the gi***ck one of the times I removed it from the slate. Bummer!

It appears that the sheets of slate they used were completely covered with protective film so the just cut pieces to size and inserted the into the wood frame as you suggested. Easy for them but a problem for us.

I agree that they do not think everything through in some cases.

I suspect that even if you very carefully place the razor blade edge as far to the corners as you can, the result will be a noticeable sharp line around the perimeter. When I get the nerve to do it, I will find out for sure but very likely.

So far, their DRAWER BOX and TIME BOX are my favorite release of theirs. Both are really nice and both use excellent methods.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I went ahead and removed two films, and they are absurd. They are made out of some material that disintegrates as you remove it, so you'll get bits and pieces of shiny plastic everywhere. I had to use a lint remover on my clothes and table as a damp cloth did nothing but smear the pieces around. There were still some bits left on the surface of the slates which a dry cloth did not take off (I did not want to try anything wet), so I ended up using Scotch tape. That worked very well when applied lightly.

Here's the very bad thing. When I went to remove the gi***ck it was stuck to a piece of glue on the other side which caused it to rip and leave a tear about 1/2" long and 1/4" wide... and I removed it very carefully. Very noticeable defect and unusable since one side cannot be shown. Upon closer inspection, the gi***ck is nothing more than 3 sheets of board glued together. It will not last multiple performances, especially since it has to be removed after each use with a knife, card, or finger nail. Plus, the gi****ck doesn't even fall in the right place when the slates are flipped. This is even called out in the directions ("just move it into place").

Not happy with this item. The wood is stunning and the weight is good, but not much thought was put into the preparation with the ridiculous film, or the gi****ck construction. Regarding the dammage due to their sloppy glue I emailed them with photos. We'll see what happens and I'll post my findings.

I hope they stand by their prop, as I like this company so far. The quality of the other two pieces I have (Drawer Box and Time Box) is wonderful, and the prices were incredibly fair. Shipping time was also reasonable considering the distance and COVID. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Thank you for the details. Now I am really afraid to remove the film!

They have been inconsistent with their releases from what I have read and I try to be very careful when making my purchases from them but until you receive what you buy, you just do not know.. So far, I believe I bought 8 items from them and I liked everything but the slates.

It will be interesting to see what they respond to you. I suspect that they will offer to do something.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2021, Magical Moments wrote:
It will be interesting to see what they respond to you. I suspect that they will offer to do something.

I hope so!
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

I just took another look at the slates. That mark I mentioned appears to be noticeable in natural sunlight and not in artificial light so I am relieved about that. I will have to perform it only indoors.

What kind of blade/device did you use to remove the film and how sharp is the edge of the blade/device? Did you move it slowly along the edge or quickly? These things may make a difference.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Make a difference indeed. Those who don't have this prop in front of them we'll think we have lost our minds going on about something that's supposed to be a throw-away afterthought. And that's just it, TCC took what was supposed to be a few second unpacking and made it into an hour-long DIY nightmare.

DO NOT use a large utility knife like they show in the video. The blade will be too dull and too thick. Use an X-Acto knife with a brand new blade. This will allow you to delicately score the film right along the edges of the frames. Then, I lightly scratched at the upper corner of the film with my finger nail (not the blade) to loosen, and was able to grab a corner of the film and pull down. Then you'll see the film break apart and scatter little pieces all over the place. As mentioned above, use Scotch tape to lightly dab at the pieces left on the slate surfaces.

I'm getting angrier and angrier just describing this insane process.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

If you read the TCC response I received above in this thread, it appears that they are not acknowledging the problem. They refer me to the video instructions which, as you said, are not convincing that there is no problem performing the removal.

I am beginning to wonder if they get it.

Has magic ever had a merchandise recall? I do not remember one. Maybe this should be the first.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

For the purpose of accuracy, I purchased 7 different items (not 8) from them and like all but the slates for very obvious reasons.

Perhaps that success rate is a result of me being extremely careful with what I buy from them. I study their new releases and the photos and video demo very carefully and then ask myself if it looks like a winner.

With the slates, you could not tell what was to come using my careful process. I am both humbled and disappointed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » TCC Spirit Slates Mini (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL