The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Fred Kaps (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Found some info on Magic Magazine´s web:
http://www.magicmagazine.com/august04/august04upcoming.html

Posted: Aug 16, 2004 4:45pm
------------------------------------------
I discovered this info about Fred death:

This magician, of excellent education, affection and personality, passed away, cancer victim,
the 23 of July 1980, but much can be learned on him in several books that he wrote.

Original text here (Spanish):
http://www.zonademagia.com.ar/magos/freed_kaps.htm
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-08-16 16:45, Kjellstrom wrote:
I discovered this info about Fred death:

This magician, of excellent education, affection and personality, passed away, cancer victim,
the 23 of July 1980, but much can be learned on him in several books that he wrote.

Original text here (spanish):
http://www.zonademagia.com.ar/magos/freed_kaps.htm
Thanx Kjellstrom..added to my collection of Kapsmania. Smile

Posted: Aug 17, 2004 3:53am
------------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2004-08-16 16:38, Kjellstrom wrote:
Found some info on Magic Magazine´s web:
http://www.magicmagazine.com/august04/august04upcoming.html
Now this is very interesting, because I always have been a very great admirer of Victor Borge -his timing as well as his humour were priceless and out of this world...I would never have connected FK in anything with VB...
Great to know what's mentioned there! Maybe I now can see some similarities in presentation f.ex. in his Homing card or his Chinese Stick routine to VB's style.
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
354 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
The late Fred Robinson edited the British magazine "Pabular" for the first 66 issues. One of Fred Robison's heroes was Fred Kaps.

In the April 1980 issue of "Pabular" [Volume 6, Number 4], Fred Robinson wrote a heartfelt and insightful tribute to Fred Kaps in response to his recent passing.

For anyone interested in learning more about Fred Kaps, the man and his magic, this tribute is a 'must read'.
"One arrow. One life."
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-08-17 08:07, John Pezzullo wrote:
The late Fred Robinson edited the British magazine "Pabular" for the first 66 issues. One of Fred Robison's heroes was Fred Kaps.

In the April 1980 issue of "Pabular" [Volume 6, Number 4], Fred Robinson wrote a heartfelt and insightful tribute to Fred Kaps in response to his recent passing.

For anyone interested in learning more about Fred Kaps, the man and his magic, this tribute is a 'must read'.
Well, I was a subscriber of Pabular and of course I do own that issue..
Martin Breese has lately put all of the Pabular contents on CD..those who fancy reading from a CD can get it..actually I dislike reading from a CD, but the advantage is, one can print out/choose whatever one wants to *safe*..

BTW, Fred Robinson was a friend...first time I met him was at the convention in Liege/Belgium 1961, where Fred kaps won (again) the Grand Prix..also did meet there Gus Southall -at that convention..

Great and helpfull guys...both!

Actually Fred Robinsons Riffle pass (entirely diff. from the one commonly in use) is the most invisible I ever saw..and I've seen a lot of the great cardworkers..doing very, very well..but...

Also Fred Robinsons center and bottom deal was incredible..and..he did it with a deck we others would have thrown away..looked REALLY used.. Smile
Wonder how Annabell is these days..must by now almost be a middleaged, still nicey lady... Smile
Almost forgot to mention, Fred Robinson -apart from doing the cards- did a very very very nice coinvanish in necktie using incredible finely covered sleeving action..
I hope it is in the upcoming book Martin Breese is about to have finished re *The Magic of Fred Robinson*..
I saw Fred R. doing it at a private party I was invited too..it was incredible clean..

John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
354 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
Werner,

I'd love to read your recollections of Britain's Gus Southall. Perhaps you can start another topic featuring your recollections of him - the man and his magic.

Regards,

John
"One arrow. One life."
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-08-17 09:35, John Pezzullo wrote:
Werner,

I'd love to read your recollections of Britain's Gus Southall. Perhaps you can start another topic featuring your recollections of him - the man and his magic.

Regards,

John

TBH, I have a feeling that this topic actually is aimed at real OLD masters of the art, ppl like Dante, Blackstone, Malini aso.
The ppl we mentioned, incl. even Fred Kaps -even when not being with us since 1980- are IMHO not *old* masters, but may be that is because they lived *in my lifetime*, maybe that is why I don't count them as *old*.. Smile

Nice, you too recall Gus Southall, actually -as I mentioned he was generous- he gave me a can with powder to use on the hands when doing cardwork.
He did compete, as well as Fred Robinson, at the cardcompetition at that convention and we got to talk about handconditions aso. and I got that can containing the rest of that powder after he was through the competition..

He was also kind in writing letters and explaining some of the finer points in preparing the *gimmick* for his rising cards..
I well recall- I even have his letters somewhere- that he adviced to use a *needle* to let the elasticcord run over, the needle being the *real* point of having the cord running over, after that cord went through the 2 holes..the dealer selling the item under his name didn't care..the friction was much greater due to NOT using that needle..

Well enough said..as mentioned *Magicians of the old* should contain really what the title implies..even if the guys we are talking about -a bit off topic- where REAL masters of the craft..

Rgs.
Werner

Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I just finished reading the article on Fred Kaps in the latest issue of Magic Magazine.It was without a doubt the most fascinating article I have read on any magician. I can see why he was voted the best and most versatile magician ever.I have a dvd of some of his performances and they are absolutley flawless. When I came to the end of the article I was left with the feeling that I wanted more.Does anyone know if there is going to be a book written about this genius or will the current magicians not even know who he was? Pete Biro maybe?? Please !!
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Anybody able to supply me with a copy of that issue mentioned?
I'll pay for it of course..

Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Werner,
If you want a copy of the magazine,
http://www.magicmagazine.com
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Thanks.. I'll have a look.. Smile
Ordered it.. !

entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
I was fortunate in my teens to have met Fred Kaps and to have watched him lecture to an invited group of Magicians.

Everything he did fooled me. Everything.

After we all picked our jaws up from the floor, Mr. Kaps showed us how he had accomplished his miracles, and our jaws hit the floor again. Most of his methods were exquisitely simple. What struck me most was his acting ability. When he pretended that something had gone wrong in a routine, his face actually got red and there was a tremor in his voice.

That lecture changed my way of thinking about Magic.

- entity
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-09-28 23:29, entity wrote:
Most of his methods were exquisitely simple. What struck me most was his acting ability.
- entity
You hit it exactly..

THAT was Fred Kaps..!!!

But note, some of the stuff he did at his lectures, he wouldn't have done in real life for normal ppl.
An example is f.ex. where he does pass a lighted cigarette through a scotch patternd silk.
Another example is his silkpenetration through a ring (one of the Linking Rings, guess which one Smile )

He DID design a couple of routines/stuff solely for his lecture before magicians and that doesn't lessen the impact at all..he was the greatest all-round magician in our time, and IMHO of all times past or future..

Johnny Ramsey too, took avantage of the way magicians think and devised a couple of (few) routines solely to fool magicians..

There was one thing I didn't know re Fred Kaps and just got to know when reading the article in *Magic Magasin*..and that was he was a fan of Victor Borge and did learn his *english* by watching/hearing Borge perform..

As some might know, Victor Borge originated from DK and he's about the greatest entertainer ever..

I'm too a huge fan of his and collected each and every bit from his TV-performances I could..
Strange enough, it never did stike me, some of the lines FK used, f.ex. when doing the *Homing card* or some of his other routines where truely *Borge'sk*, now when knowing about it, I easily can recognize it...

entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Werner:

Mr. Kaps told me that the routine he used in his lecture where he passed a lit cigarette through a pocket handkerchief was a trick that he had devised for a television commercial for a cigarette company.

- entity
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-09-29 23:23, entity wrote:
Werner:

Mr. Kaps told me that the routine he used in his lecture where he passed a lit cigarette through a pocket handkerchief was a trick that he had devised for a television commercial for a cigarette company.

- entity
Amazing.. Smile
That again shows that *HE* could present stuff like this, my hunch though is he followed it up with other stuff...

rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1546 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Coincedently, I was speaking to my neighbor, Hans, the other day. He said, "Didn't you mention to me that you were a magician?" "I did", I replied. He then proceded to tell me about a wonderful magician that he'd seen while he was still living in his native Holland in the '50s. I said, "His name wouldn't happen to have been 'Fred Kaps', would it?"
"YES!", he replied and was able to recall to me most of the act that he had performed. It just goes to show the impact some performers can have on the lay-public.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Kaps was driving me to a shop in Amsterdam. He spotted a parking place and sped over to get to it beating another driver to it.

The other driver rolled his window down and yelled out to Kaps, "Magic isn't ENOUGH!"

We must have laughed for ten minutes.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I found several booklets by Fred Kaps on Magic Inc, Chicago online shop:
http://www.magicinc.net/ (search for kaps)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-07-23 22:56, hugmagic wrote:
Rick Johnson used to do a version of this called "Wedlock".

Rick's was done with a small padlock. I remember it well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-11-05 15:10, Kjellstrom wrote:
I found several booklets by Fred Kaps on Magic Inc, Chicago online shop:
http://www.magicinc.net/ (search for kaps)
Yes Kjellstrom..and that was appreciated..

I ordered one the 6th of nov. and forwarded via Visa the money..

Didn't hear the slightest from them yet, despite of 3 emails after 2 weeks have passed the first time, and then a week and a week more..
7 days from the US to DK normally, IF something is send off..

So, essence might be, the link is fine, but one can't order and get anything?

Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Any news about the new book about Fred Kaps?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Fred Kaps (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL