The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Fred Kaps (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
We are still waiting for Dick Koornwinder to get it finished.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Person With A Username
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of The Person With A Username
By watching footage of Fred Kaps perform his silent act, I learned one of the most important things a performer can do: Smile. He had a natural, sincere smile that suggested he enjoyed performing his art, and that he was happy to be there. It added tremendously to his act, and really inspired me to try smiling throughout my own show. Surprisingly, it was my most sucessful show ever. It just amazes me how much you can learn from watching the performances of a genius like Kaps.
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
What a legacy this man left - we should all be grateful. Just by watching Mr Kapps you know the tricks mean nothing - he practiced what he preached.

What a man, what a 'magician'.

Best of,

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

I have some footage of Fred Kaps that I watch everytime I become frusterated or tired with practice, and it inspires me to practice some more. His vanishing cane in the newspaper, salt pour, and his version of Dai Vernon's matching the cards are my favorite of his tricks, and he projects his personality perfectly. He is the ideal role model for an amateur magician like me.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4866 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Fred Kaps, Holland was a phenomenon and now a legend. He is the only magician ever to win the world title three times:

A photo published in the swedish magazine: Trollkarlen 1956, Nr 41:

View Profile
New user
60 Posts

On youtube, if you search for Fred Kaps,you will be able to see footage of Fred smoking his thumb, perform the floating cork, and show his two master pieces, the Salt Pour and Homing Card. As I stated in an earlier post, Fred Kaps has been a constant source of inspiration and is amog my favourite magicians to watch perform.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
4866 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Malchat
View Profile
Special user
The Kingdom of Croiset and Wonder
885 Posts

Profile of Malchat
I live in Fred Kaps' home town Utrecht. This thread inspired me to take a detour from my usual jogging route and visit Kanaleneiland, which is a neighbourhood close to mine and where Kaps' lived for nearly 20 years.

In front of Kaps' old house is a modest memorial slab... I wish I could make it magically and eternally levitate above the pavement. A miracle worker like Kaps certainly deserves that.

I'm of a later generation - thanks for reminding me of one of the greats.
“You are what you pretend to be.”
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
Malchat - reminding you is one thing, but you remembering that he was (and not in a small way)one of the 'greats' is another thing.
I for one am pleased that you fully appreciate what Fred Kaps gave to magic.

Best wishes,

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
4866 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
A letter from the living legend Eddy Taytelbaum, a great magician and FISM winner.
He was also a close friend to Fred Kaps.

Here is a short extract from the e-mail:

1. - "HELLO MATS;
In reply to you querries the following. Fred lived in Utrecht, I
would take the train from Amsterdam and visit him. He has two daughters,
One married an Indonesian chap who used to demonstrate the magic boxes that
fred had assembled for a dutch toy manufacturer. The other daughter I know
nothing of her whereabouts. Fred's wife died a few years ago.
the book; I do hope it contains some of the notes he took because some of
the tricks I have forgotten completely and hey had to be good otherwise he
would not have made notes.

Regards Eddy"

2. - "DEAR FRIEND;
Thanks for surprising me again. Did you know that we were good friends and he
often would come to me and show me his new developments or improvements
before going public with them. During h**is illness I would visit him
often and chat with him about magic."

Contact Eddy: eddy.taytelbaum@wanadoo.nl

Some info about Eddy:
http://www.fism.org/Historic-Part3.htm

MICROMAGIC:

1. Eddy Taytelbaum (Holland)

2. J. H. Van Rinkhuysen (Holland)

3. John Ramsey (Scotland)

Double prize, winner Eddy Taytelbaum's card work was notable for introducing a number of unusual handlings. In later years his reputation was further enhanced by his side‑line of manufacturing beautifully hand, rendered close‑up props.

Posted: Oct 6, 2006 7:18am
------------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2006-10-03 18:16, Malchat wrote:
In front of Kaps' old house is a modest memorial slab...
I'm of a later generation - thanks for reminding me of one of the greats.

Hi.
Is it possible for you to take a digital photo of Fred Kaps house and the memorial stone?
If yes, please publish the photo here. Or send it to me and I will post it here for you. E-mail me.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2039 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I also would love to see that. Hopefully he forwards a picture to you...Fred Kaps as I said earlier was the Epitome of magic and what everyone in magic should strive to be like...We lost him way to soon. Know one knows what else he could have accomplished...
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Malchat
View Profile
Special user
The Kingdom of Croiset and Wonder
885 Posts

Profile of Malchat
No problem. Smile I went back there today and shot some pictures. Unfortunately we're having horrible rain over here (typical Dutch autumn), so the photos didn't turn out as good as I hoped.

Some impressions: the neighbourhood Kanaleneiland was a very nice suburb when Kaps moved in during the 1960s, but today it's really rundown. There is a lot of crime and vandalism there and anyone who can afford it is moving out. In fact, Kaps' house was recently sold (and it didn't yield much), and today I saw that the neighbouring house is for sale as well, like several others down the street. You can see the street and the For Sale sign in the first picture here: http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l72/Malchat/100_0852.jpg

I found this Google-cached page of the festivities surrounding the installation of the plaquette: http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:s8p......irefox-a

Here you can see the plaquette in the pavement: http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l72/Malchat/100_0856.jpg

And here is the plaquette itself - sadly, the rain ruined most of my photographs, this is the clearest I have: http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l72/Malchat/100_0858.jpg

I have written the exact words here: http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l72/Ma......utch.jpg

And this is the English translation: http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l72/Ma......lish.jpg

FRED KAPS
1926-1980

the only

triple world champion magician

Barcelona 1950
Amsterdam 1955
Luik (Liege) 1961

ELEVATED MAGIC TO ART

Lived in this house on the Peltlaan 79
9-3-2005
“You are what you pretend to be.”
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Many thanks, brings back great memories.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2039 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Malchat,
You did a great thing.My hats off to you.The pictures even with the lousy weather are fantastic.
Thanks again for sharing..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Pete Biro:
Your post reminds me you were supposed to get me a photo to put up on your Brief Biography on my site. I'm tempted to put up your avatar from the Magic Café, except I can't figure out what the heck that thing is on your shoulder.

http://www.magicnook.com/forum/bioAB.htm

Maybe if others on the Café see how empty your bio looks without a nice photo, they'll help me remind you to get me a portrait of the real Pete Biro.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
aiturran
View Profile
Loyal user
Santiago, Chile
260 Posts

Profile of aiturran
Bringing back an old topic, as it refers to my favourite magician ever.
I'm a young guy, 23 years old, 4 years in magic, and knowing Mr. Kaps changed my life.
He's the model of elegance, charisma and excelence in magic.
Although he's not with us, he's been my mentor since I saw him on video.

I thanks Mr. Kjellstrom, Mr. Pete Biro and all the people that shared their experiences.
He left us very soon, but everyday I try to honour his name and emulate his example of showmanship and love for magic. He was one of a kind, and he'll be always remembered.

I just ordered Magic Magazine, I've been wanting it for some time and I couldn't wait any longer.
I plan buying Stephen Minch's book on Fred Kaps, does anyone know where I can buy it?

Thanks, hope there's more material of him soon, his magic was really amazing and has endured the sands of time, and they're still works of art.

Antonio
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There was more to Fred than most people know. At the last convention where Fred performed, I think it was in St. Louis, a soft-spoken friend of mine, the late Ray Maxwell, went up to him and said something to the effect of "Mr. Kaps, I really enjoyed your performance tonight. It was so smooth and so magical, I felt I needed to tell you how much I enjoyed it."

Fred asked him, "Was there anything in particular that you liked more than anything else?"

"Yes, I was particularly impressed with 'Smoking the Thumb.' "

Fred asked him, "Would you like to see the gimmick?"

Ray was stunned. He was elated. He said, "Oh, yes! Would that be possible?"

So he showed him the gimmick. Ray was awestruck. Then he said, "You may keep that. Thanks for coming up to me and talking to me. I really appreciate it."

I have seen the gimmick. And only if you know exactly what the gimmick is, will you ever be able to figure out how Fred worked it. But you need to see a video of his performance.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
aiturran
View Profile
Loyal user
Santiago, Chile
260 Posts

Profile of aiturran
Thanks for sharing that Mr. Palmer.
I absolutely enjoy reading your experience with Fred Kaps.
Only shows the great human being he was.

That "Smoking Thumb" trick was amazing. In his hands was true magic, same with "The Salt Pour". And consider that has trick baffled many magicians, and still is now. That shows his importance and place in magic.
His Cups and Balls routine is also amazing. I have it on tape and it still fools me.

What really hit me about Kaps was when I saw his videos for the first time, he fooled me completely.
And that was considering at the time I had magic studies and already had certain acknowledge, but seeing him really changed my life. I loved his personality, you could see and feel he was a charming man. His smile made you smile, he was totally sincere. You had to enjoy his magic, and he showed how much he enjoyed it as well.

After seeing him, I found my place in magic.
His magic philosophy just went with my style and what I wanted my magic to do with people. And him being a magician for people, not for magicians. He created things to baffle everyone, not just magicians. And magicians being fooled by him shows he was right. Now I always try to think my magic for the people, and what a laymen would "see".

I hope to read more up close experiences with Fred Kaps, I really enjoy them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Fred Kaps (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.63 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL