The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » ‘The Answer’ by Benjamin Earl (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andrew McMillan
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
62 Posts

Profile of Andrew McMillan
Thoughts on this effect by Benjamin Earl? What are the self working principles at work here? I’m just getting back into magic so suggested reading welcome.

See https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/card-m......en-earl/

Thanks,
Andrew
no2ss
View Profile
Special user
California
904 Posts

Profile of no2ss
I don't have The Answer, but understand what's going on here. It's unlikely to fool magicians who have seen similar tricks (of which there are many), but it should fry most non-magicians. The principles involved are pretty straightforward and are used in a bunch of other effects (including some other Ben Earl effects). I will note that Ben's teaching is almost always excellent and always includes lots of subtleties. So if you like the effect in the video, it's probably worth it. These kinds of effects can be quite powerful with the right presentation, and Ben usually gives good pointers along those lines. Also, if you can't figure out how it's done from the video, then... I'd definitely recommend picking it up, because you'll learn at least two really useful concepts that can be applied to a bunch of effects.
no2ss
View Profile
Special user
California
904 Posts

Profile of no2ss
So... it turns out I'm getting forgetful in my old age. For another reason I was looking through my Vanishing Inc. library and realized I DO have The Answer (and another Ben Earl effect I don't remember purchasing!). So I watched the video for the first time, and it is exactly what I thought, but also as I suggested the teaching by Ben is quite useful and goes into important subtleties.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Special user
546 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
It's not the done thing to ask on the forum for how a trick works.
(There are many discussions where members are trying to decide whether or not to purchase, but that is not quite the same thing.)

Ben has used some very basic principles to construct an effect that is both interesting and powerful. Whereas many self-working tricks involves tedious procedures, rather predictable outcomes AND can usually be reverse-engineered by thinking about the process).
In particular I really like the poker-based presentation. This is basically window-dressing, but so much more interesting than yet another prediction.

I agree with no2ss - if you like The Answer, go ahead and buy it. You will be learning a number of important concepts - not just one trick.

John Bannon is well-known for creating powerful effects that rely on subtle principles rather than knuckle-busting sleights.
Also I am a big fan of Simon Aronson's material.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » ‘The Answer’ by Benjamin Earl (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL