The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Fog Machine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

J.S.llusionDesigns
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of J.S.llusionDesigns
What is a good fog machine to buy? My old one I got for $450 and it recntly broke. What is a good one to buy for $500 and bellow so I can stay in buget.
Joe Smith Illusion Designs
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
Make your own with dry ice.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Look up my posts on this. It is relatively easy to make a dry ice fog machine.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1828 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
If you want a fog machine you can control thoughout the show, then the suggestions using dry ice will not benefit you.
Also what are you wanting to accomplish with fog. Do you want ground fog?..then yes dry ice will work there. Do you want fog that is in the air? Do you need to pick up beams of light in the air?...then you need a hazer not fogger.

It really all depends on what your needs are and how much control over the unit you desire.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Quote:
On 2004-06-19 09:38, Living Illusions wrote:
If you want a fog machine you can control thoughout the show, then the suggestions using dry ice will not benefit you.
Also what are you wanting to accomplish with fog. Do you want ground fog?..then yes dry ice will work there. Do you want fog that is in the air? Do you need to pick up beams of light in the air?...then you need a hazer not fogger.

It really all depends on what your needs are and how much control over the unit you desire.

This is absolutely correct. It is all what you want it to do.

But for a rolling ground cover, dry ice works very well.

One other important factor with fog machines or hazers, is the use of fans to move the fog around on stage. This is an important factor that a lot of people overlook. The fog machines and hazers just do not move the fog around very well; especially on large stage.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1828 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Very true Richard on the fan. It is good to have a fan..and it is always best to have two decent machines versus one great machine.

We exclusively use Look machines from Germany. We use both their foogers as well as hazers. They have DMX built on...they are real workhorses. Plus their Viper II fog machine can shoot straight up or down...don't try that with any other machine out there. They shoot 25 feet straight up and look very similar to CO2 blasts when used with quick disipating fluid. The hazer has no warm up time and has 99 steps of control for both pump and fan.

Thanks Richard for another great tip on using fans. Like you said most people don't think about that...also you can help fog be more of a haze by pushing the fog right thru a fan.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
J.S.llusionDesigns
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of J.S.llusionDesigns
Thanks for all your help.
Joe Smith Illusion Designs
RudolfRassen
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of RudolfRassen
If you are looking for an inexpensive one, you can generally find them cheap at the Membership warehouses (such as Costco or BJ's) around halloween time...
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi

Don't buy cheep they will not last.

Get a quote to repair your machine - they are very simple inside bacically a pump and a heat exchanger.

Martin is a name to look for.

Paula

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
Fog machines can set off fire alarm systems. Best to get a hazer nowadays if you can afford one.

Regan
Mister Mystery
MikeJRogers
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
354 Posts

Profile of MikeJRogers
A hazer will still set an alarm off, it's happened a number of times on shows I've worked on.

Before you ask no it wasn't my fault Smile I was working as an SM at the time/s .

Cheers,

Mike
Mike Rogers Illusion Design - Australia - http://www.mikerogers.com.au
"Nothings impossible, the impossible just takes longer" - Dan Brown novel
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
This has helped me, too. I use a fogger for my flash apearance but I also use a low-lying fogger for another part of my act. The trouble is, very seldom does the low-lying go where I want it (around my feet). I will try using a fan and see if that helps.

Aslo, did anyone catch Jason Lattimer's stage performance at IBM. WOW, was that beautiful. Not just his routine, but also his use of fog. I'm guessing he had several foggers and hazers going along with fans. Very beautiful effect.

Dakota Rose
Dream things that never were and say, "Why not."

Junior Editor Linking Ring - Youth Forum

www.dakotarosemagic.com
Darko
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Darko
Cheap equipaments = headache. Buy a good equipment or don´t buy anything.
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
Just a personal preference here: I've worked with dry ice when the budget screamed "Cheap!" but I hate it. I hate finding it, transporting it, storing it, fiddling with it, finding some more, worrying about running out in the middle of a show and worrying about techs playing with it. So now I don't worry anymore; I use hazers and foggers and have a good rapport with the local fire marshalls and custodial staffs to zone out the alarm systems. And I sleep well. Smile
Garretb
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Garretb
Here is an interesting link to Halloween related decorating.. There are quite a few ideas on building fog chillers. http://markbutler.8m.com/monsterlist.htm
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Fog Machine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL