The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » What's the difference between the different versions of Abbott's Encyclopedia Of Rope Tricks? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EERichards
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of EERichards
There are two different versions on amazon.

$31 for Abbott's Encyclopedia Of Rope Tricks by Percy Abbot
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1162961708/

And $6 for Abbott's Encyclopedia Of Rope Tricks compiled by Stewart James
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486232069/

They are both paperback.

Even Penguin seems to have two different versions

$49 for Stewart James' Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks (is this the same book as Abbott's Encyclopedia Of Rope Tricks)?
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1094

$13 for Abbott's Encyclopedia Of Rope Tricks
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S4729

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
KungFuMagic
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
I suggest looking at page counts, tables of contents, and copyright dates. You should find your answers there.
Nick Sasso
part-time Samurai conjurer
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Due to computer problems, I can't access my info, but I'll give you what I recall off the top of my head.

There are 3 different volumes of Abbot's Rope Magic

Vol 1 is the one that I think became available very cheaply as a paper back.

Stewart James' Ency. of Rope Tricks does seem to cover most of the 3 Abbott's volumes (but again, I don't have access to the tile I put that in.
The intro of James' book states:
"The book you're reading, originally published in three volumes, is a goldmine of great rope tricks"

Spellbinder had a website that showed the relationship between James' and Abbott's ency. Look him up and look at his profile (which would likely give the address of his web site (I don't he is on this site lately.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
The top book you mention is by Percy Abbott. Stewart James put together or compiled the bottom three.
The bottom one is the cheapest, and I suggest you get that one in at least very good condition. It has 400 pages.

This book has some good ideas on rope magic and a few good routines. But most of it is dated. So it is more for reference than the latest in rope magic. But you still should get the cheaper one if you can, IMHO.
EERichards
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of EERichards
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2021, John Long wrote:
Due to computer problems, I can't access my info, but I'll give you what I recall off the top of my head.

There are 3 different volumes of Abbot's Rope Magic

Vol 1 is the one that I think became available very cheaply as a paper back.

Stewart James' Ency. of Rope Tricks does seem to cover most of the 3 Abbott's volumes (but again, I don't have access to the tile I put that in.
The intro of James' book states:
"The book you're reading, originally published in three volumes, is a goldmine of great rope tricks"

Spellbinder had a website that showed the relationship between James' and Abbott's ency. Look him up and look at his profile (which would likely give the address of his web site (I don't he is on this site lately.

John

Thanks John! I'll try to find the spellbinder website.
EERichards
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of EERichards
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2021, KungFuMagic wrote:
I suggest looking at page counts, tables of contents, and copyright dates. You should find your answers there.

Unfortunately, of the 4 I listed only one has a table of contents you can look at. As for pages, they're all around the same. 400, over 400. One is 502 pages but the difference in the page numbers could also be the difference in font size, margins, etc.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Here is Spellbinder’s web page comparing the two main versions:

https://www.magicnook.com/forum/abbottsrope01.htm

I own the hardcover Stewart James version. I purchased it used, through Amazon, from a bookseller. It was under $40 at the time and arrived in like-new condition. IMHO, it is the version to own.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
peterwatch
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of peterwatch
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2021, Magic Mark wrote:

I own the hardcover Stewart James version. I purchased it used, through Amazon, from a bookseller. It was under $40 at the time and arrived in like-new condition. IMHO, it is the version to own.

Mark

Thanks Mark. The link is useful.
Jean André
View Profile
New user
Metz
65 Posts

Profile of Jean André
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2022, peterwatch wrote:
Quote:

Mark

Thanks Mark. The link is useful.

Yes, thank you for the Magic Nook link. I notice that they have several helpful indexes on that site , also for the Tarbell Course and Rice Encyclopedia of Silk Magic, among others.

Quote:

Mark

I quite agree ! I am glad to have found a copy of the longer, hard-cover version of the Abbott Encyclopedia of Rope Magic by Stewart James, edited by Gabe Fajuri at a reasonable price at a used book seller. The softcover version re-published by Dover Publications is good , certainly, (I have had the Dover edition for many years) but I love having the additional material in the large hard-cover version.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I should have caught this before.. The version compiled by S James is entitled "Rope"

It is more or less, a compilation of Abbot's Vol 1, 2 and 3. Although as I remember, not too much of Abbots #3 is included.

Again, referring to Spellbinder's website would give you specifics. (I still don't have access to most of my (computer) files)

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Jean André
View Profile
New user
Metz
65 Posts

Profile of Jean André
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2022, John Long wrote:
I should have caught this before.. The version compiled by S James is entitled "Rope"

Well, the full title is 'Stewart James' Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks' . (Not "Abbott Encyclopedia of Rope Magic by Stewart James" as I wrote in my previous post) The word ROPE is emphasized by the graphic design of the cover. The information on the inside title page lists Gabe Fajuri as the editor of this expanded and revised edition, published by Squash Publishing. The previous 3 volume set published by Abbott's Magic Co. was titled Abbott’s Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks Vol. 1 (Vol. 2 , Vol. 3) by Stewart James.

https://www.qualitymagicbooks.com/product-tag/stewart-james/

Click here to view attached image.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Okay, but it is not clear what the official name is:

The "title page" of the book says: "Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks"

The out side edge of the binding says "Rope", and in much smaller type Stewart James' Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks
:

Soooooo, it is good for people who are interested in buying this, be aware that the "name" takes different forms, depending on where you look (or who's post they read Smile )

(the other night, I just looked at and noticed the large type, but certainly, as you pointed out it is NOT "Abbots", but it does seem to include essentially all of abbot's books.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » What's the difference between the different versions of Abbott's Encyclopedia Of Rope Tricks? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL