We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » House Guest - Ernest Earick - Need help with the spread (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

HickumLooney
View Profile
New user
Dallas
2 Posts

Profile of HickumLooney
Hello all,

I am brand new to the forum and about a year into card magic.

I have been trying to learn House Guest from By Forces Unseen from Ernest Earick over the last couple days, but I am having trouble with the spread.
I can get the jog and, for the most part, finish the trick without it; but I would really like to incorporate the spread. I have tried to find videos of people doing the trick to see if I can pick up anything from them, yet no one does the spread that have seen. After scooping up I always lose the card in the deck. This may just be knacky and I need to work on it, but I was hoping someone might have a tip that would help me along the way.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
ianchandler
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ianchandler
Wow, I didn't even know there was a spread in the writeup! Nobody does it because the people doing House Guest are usually doing it for other move monkeys, so no delay in performance is needed. But the diagonal spread described in the book feels awkward to me, and unless that's how you already spread cards, I think you're better off with a standard ribbon spread.

There are a couple solutions to this problem. The first solution is to exaggerate the injog so that it protrudes for about an inch. This is naturally hidden by the hand anyway and makes the post-spread jog more surefire.

The second solution is to collect the cards primarily from right to left, applying pressure to the top portion of the deck as you do so. The left hand/fingers do a little work in collecting the spread but mostly act as a stopper. Andrew Frost has a tabled control with a similar mechanic that would go nicely here; it's on his Patreon membership (which I recommend).

Finally, it's worth noting that you needn't do a spread to create a pause. Jogging the card and tabling the deck is a nice alternative if you have no motivation to spread the deck.
HickumLooney
View Profile
New user
Dallas
2 Posts

Profile of HickumLooney
Thanks for the info!

I agree that the angled spread feels a bit awkward.

Great recommendation for Andrew Frost's tabled control. I am already a Patreon member and completely forgot about this. I still miss it every couple tries, but I'll keep practicing. Works much better than the spread from the write up.

Well, for me at least.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » House Guest - Ernest Earick - Need help with the spread (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL