We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » The Cape Canaveral Trick (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jhereg
View Profile
Regular user
Petaluma California
121 Posts

Profile of jhereg
The Cape Canaveral Trick by Paul Swinford is frying my brain with how fair and random it seems. I’m even mixing up the order of the cards above the prediction before dealing out each pile, changing how the deal plays out. I clearly don’t understand the principle at play here. I’m sitting here doing a self working trick for myself and blowing my own mind. This is a trick you can do multiple times in a row and it just reinforces how crazy fair it is.
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Livermore, CA
568 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Note for others:
Can be found on Aldo Colombini's Impromptu Card Magic Volume Two
jhereg
View Profile
Regular user
Petaluma California
121 Posts

Profile of jhereg
Indeed! I was so caught up I neglected to mention. Thank you
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3367 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
It is a cool principle. Coming up with an interesting presentation has been a challenge for me though.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2331 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
It is also in an e-book titled Impromptu Card Magic
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
689 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Can anyone explain why this trick works?
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1641 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2021, jhereg wrote:
The Cape Canaveral Trick by Paul Swinford is frying my brain with how fair and random it seems. I’m even mixing up the order of the cards above the prediction before dealing out each pile, changing how the deal plays out. I clearly don’t understand the principle at play here. I’m sitting here doing a self working trick for myself and blowing my own mind. This is a trick you can do multiple times in a row and it just reinforces how crazy fair it is.

Great trick with many variations.

As for the maths behind it:

To understand how it works, just experiment with one pile. Where do you need to put the target card (from the top of the deck)? When you don’t have a hit, how many cards are in the pile? When you have a hit, what is the total of card already dealt in the pile and the cards you’ll need to deal from the deck?

In the effect with 4 piles, where does the target card need to be from the top?
ipe
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of ipe
Does someone know the probabilities to get exactly one match (only one packet with a match)? And what about exactly two, three or four matches?
What would a real mindreader do?
ipe
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of ipe
Or even zero matches? I think this would be an event to avoid. But counting court cards as 10 should be enough to avoid it almost always.
What would a real mindreader do?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » The Cape Canaveral Trick (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL