The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Favorite Magic History Book? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
I'll start this forum off by asking what is your favorite magic history book and why? It could be a general history book, a history book which focuses on a specific topic, or it could be a biography.
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
A good read is "A Life Among Secrets" the Uncommon life and adventures of Eddie Fields by Stephen Minch. Here's a man that did it all and led by all account a very interesting life.....I enjoyed it and would recommend it as a decent biography
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
My top two favorite magic books happen to be autobiographies: "Milo & Roger" by Arthur Brandon and "Illusion Show" by David Bamberg. Two men with wildly disparate backgrounds and of different generations, both books have fascinating stories of development through trial and adversity. Not only about magic, both have a lot to say about the performing arts and self-producing...

I go back to them again and again and again...

ajp
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
As far as general history of magic is concerned, I like Milbourne Christopher's The Illustrated History of Magic, even though some of his statements do not stand up to extremely close scrutiny. It at least gives a perspective of what was going on around the world at various historical times.

Fifty Years in the Magic Circle by Signor Blitz is another book that gives a good read.

I'm not as sanguine about the Robert-Houdin memoirs, because some of the material therein is patently untrue. It's a good publicity book, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
"Hiding the Elephant: How Magicians Invented the Impossible and Learned to Dissapear" by Jim Steinmeyer is a TERRIFIC book outlining the history of "invisibility". The book itself is fairly new, I don't think it has even been out a full year. This one is a really great read. I had much troubles putting it down.

And...

"Houdini on Magic" (edited by Walter B. Gibson & Morris N. Young is a very intriguing book, because it is basically Houdini talking about all of his various picks and methods for escaping from...well everything! There IS a small section on magic, but it is fairly elemetary stuff, and the book's forte is really about escapism.
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
The Blackstone book of Magic and Illusion
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
bkentner
View Profile
New user
Davenport, Nebraska
61 Posts

Profile of bkentner
Magic: A Pictoral History of Conjurers in the Theater

I think it is a well writen history. Otherwise, I tend to be fond of Bibliographys. But, I am a book collector. Smile
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I guess my favorite initial book was Milbourne Christopher's "Panorama of Magic". True enough it was very superfical and fleeting and even inaccurate in some areas but you never had the opportunity I had to discuss it.

I sat down at my first Columbus Magi-
fest about 1975 with Horace Marshall. I was new to magic and I have always loved history. I mentioned every name I had read in Christopher's book. Horace either had seen them, built for them, or knew about them. Wow what a treat.

There are so many very good books out there now. Anything by Mike Caveny or Jim Steinmeyer are must reads. Both detail nuts and beautiful writers.

Pure historical overview of magic goes to David Prices's large thome. It is very well researched and writen.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Thought I’d jump in with a title and some comments.

There are many good books out there, but one author not yet mentioned is Eddie Dawes. His writing is so consistently good, prolific, AND accurate. Plus, I can’t think of another history author who documents his facts with references so well.

“Illusion Show” by David Bamberg has been widely heralded as a great read – and for good reason. Great selection, in my opinion.

Generally, I agree with Bill Palmer’s comments, though I’d add that I believe Blitz’s autobiography has a lot of puff in it as well – perhaps that’s what Bill meant by his “good read” comment. As to Robert-Houdin’s biography, accurate or not, it is a true classic of our literature. Yes, he took literary license, but his chapter on mountebanks, often omitted in the English-language editions, is generally thought to provide excellent insight into their lives.

Jordini’s selection of Houdini on Magic is an interesting choice. What I also like about that book is the Houdini “articles” on the likes of Katterfelto, Jacob Philadelphia, Hofzinser, and George Heubeck. Perhaps some or all of this material first appeared in Houdini’s Conjurer’s Magazine, but I still love reading it.

The Magician’s selection of the Blackstone Book of Magic and Illusion is another interesting choice, though I’ve often wished that Blackstone wrote more about his family history than about general magic history (then again, maybe the history section was really done by Charlie and Regina Reynolds).

BKentner’s choice of the Price book is another good one. Price pulled few punches, and perhaps the only major drawback to his work is that his attitude comes through so clearly sometimes that a reader has to wonder where the history left off and the bias crept in. Lest anybody think I’m trying to knock a dead man, David was always kind to me and I did make this comment to him one day, to which he replied (in typical Price fashion), “well it’s my book, Clay.” Right you were, David.

I envy hugmagic’s chance to sit down and chat with a man like Horace Marshall. What a treat and rare opportunity. By the way, Milbourne Christopher's first history book was a little pamphlet titled “Panorama of Prestidigitators,” 44 pages long and self-published by the author in 1956. It’s pretty hard to find nowadays.

To those of you who have been kind enough to jump in and offer your thoughts, here is a sneak preview of an entry for Dr. Dawes’ The Great Illusionists verbatim from the first instalment of the second edition of Historians’ Guide to Conjuring. It should be going to the printer, and I’m pasting it here in a flush of pride and relief and as a “proud papa.”

I realize that some of you may find the information is more than you care to know, but like bkentner, I’m a book lover. If any of you care to comment on the entry, please feel free, good or bad. I just hope enough people but the book or I’m gonna lose my shirt on this thing!

Here it is:

“[EAD100] — The / Great / Illusionists.
Newton Abbot[, Devon] & London: David & Charles, [1979]. Printed in Newton Abbot by Redwood Burn Limited, Trowbridge and Esher. ISBN 0-7153-7773-6. First U.K. edition, approximately 5,000 copies printed (unstated).
(24.6 x 19.2 cm.) [i-x]11-216 pp. Illustrated, references and notes, index.
Black pebbled paper over boards, TA and publisher’s logo in gold on spine, white illustrated dj, TA and publisher’s logo in black on spine, TA in black and illustration of black top hat and white dove on front panel, black and white reproduction of The Great Lafayette poster on rear panel, buff endpapers. £7.50.

See illustrations EAD100TP, EAD100CVR, EAD100DJ, and index reproduced at pp 55-59. As the blurb aptly states, this book “traces the history of conjuring and illusion through the lives and achievements of the finest practitioners of the art …”. This book was written over an astonishingly short period in 1978. As with The Book of Magic, Dawes was approached by the publisher on extremely short notice to write a book which had already been titled and in fact pre-sold at the Frankfurt Book Fair in 1978. During the Christmas holidays of 1978, the author and his wife spent two intense weeks in their den, the author dictating the text and Mrs. Dawes typing it up. Profusely illustrated and one of the classics of conjuring histories, uniquely reflecting the author’s training as a scientist and science’s relationship to magic through the ages.”
Magictrickster
View Profile
Regular user
UK
114 Posts

Profile of Magictrickster
I find the 'Encyclopedia of Magic and Magicians' by TA Waters to be an invaluable reference source (although it does contain the occasional inaccuracy or omission).

I'd love to see it brought up to date with the inclusion of many more photographs and entries.

Cheers,

Brian.
Brian
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Considering that T.A. Waters passed away a few years ago, that is very unlikely.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
In the T. A. Waters vein, I guess we could add Bart Whaley's Who's Who in Magic and also his Encyclopedic Dictionary of Magic.

After doing those two books, Bart surely must have won the "most scraps of paper around" award...
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Great books mentioned so far. I'd add a couple though.

The Annuls of Conjuring-Sydney Clarke getting harder to find though.

Coney Island Fakir. Can't remember who wrote it off the top of my head, but a wonderful biography of Al Flosso.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Gary Brown wrote the Flosso book, if memory is correct.

Mark: Clarke's book is a great choice. My opinion: the best edition is the Miracle Factory (Todd Karr) edition published a few years ago. I think dealers still have copies for sale, but I could be wrong about that.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I have enjoyed reading Stuart Cramer's "Germain the Wizard".
(new edition, published by The Miracle Factory) .

http://www.miraclefactory.org/GermainPreface.html

There is some interesting anecdotal history from Faucett Ross in the book "Magic with Faucett Ross" , by Lewis Ganson . (one of my favorite all-around magic books , by the way) .

"The Encyclopedia of Magic and Magicians" by TA Waters is also a favorite of mine. As Bill Palmer pointed out it will never be updated by T.A. Waters , but I would hope that someone might have a go at expanding and updating it . (Max Maven perhaps ? )

While not entirely about conjuring , Ricky Jay's "Learned Pigs & Fireproof Women" is a great read.
Woofledust
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
76 Posts

Profile of Woofledust
While it certainly lacks in depth and details for a book that touts itself as a definitive account of magic, James Randi's "Conjuring" covers a lot of ground and includes some illustration which I had not seen previously. It also has many brief descriptions of current day performers (up to the 1992 publication date).

Also, Gene Gordon's "Magical Legacy", while basically a combination autobiography and collection of effects, has interesting bits of information about many of his cohorts and acquaintances in its first hundred pages. The rest of the book contains his routines and patter.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
For a thoroughly enjoyable romp through the hey-day of Chicago area Magic, you just can't beat Frances Ireland (Marshall)'s two great books: With Frances in Magicland and You Don't Have To Be Crazy.

Many of the greats and near-greats from all over the country passed through Chicago at some time or another.
Many developed very close relationships with Fran and her clan.

These have been out of print for years, but are well worth the effort to locate to complete your library.
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
As Frances Marshall, she also wrote My First Fifty Years and compiled Those Beautiful Dames.

There haven't been a lot of books published on females magicians, so her stuff is a nice source to have.
The Wicked Mr. Grey
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
177 Posts

Profile of The Wicked Mr. Grey
Most definitely "A Life Among Secrets"

A great book. Fairly well written and extremely insightful. And a darn good title too...

Dorian Grey
What you have seen this evening was real, though it may have nothing to do with reality.

A Life Among Secrets
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-06-20 13:14, lastnitesfun wrote:
Great books mentioned so far. I'd add a couple though.

The Annuls of Conjuring-Sydney Clarke getting harder to find though.

Coney Island Fakir. Can't remember who wrote it off the top of my head, but a wonderful biography of Al Flosso.

Mark

The Annals of Conjuring is still obtainable from Andy Greget. This is the Miracle Factory edition that Todd Karr recently published. In fact, Todd may still have some copies left.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Favorite Magic History Book? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL