The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Center tear (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
Does anyone know where the c.t. first appears in print? I know Martin Sunshine claimed to have invented it...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
In March of 1935, in the Jinx, Annemann published an item called "Two New Publicity Effects," which were variations on the CT. One of theses was later republished in Crimmins' book Annemann's Practical Mental Effects. Whether this is the earliest remains to be seen, but it is certainly one of them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I learned it in the early 60's from Mercer Helms. It was the perfect size paper to lead into a dove act. At that time, I was given to understand that it was not commercially available. But I did see it fifteen years later at Abbott's with Foster's name on it.

It was my first experience using a dressmaker's marking wheel in magic. Was that part of the original?

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2004-06-21 00:47, Bob Sanders wrote:
I learned it in the early 60's from Mercer Helms. It was the perfect size paper to lead into a dove act. At that time, I was given to understand that it was not commercially available. But I did see it fifteen years later at Abbott's with Foster's name on it.

It was my first experience using a dressmaker's marking wheel in magic. Was that part of the original?

Bob
Magic By Sander

??? I think, Bob, you are mistaking this classic mentalists way of gaining information for something completely different. Smile

Paul.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Bob is thinking of the trick where the center section of a piece of newspaper is cut out and restored quickly. I'm thinking of the mentalist's technique.

What is reese thinking of?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
I'm thinking of the mentalism technique...You must be right Bill, the first appearance of the center tear's gotta be in the Jinx in 1935.( Unless someone knows of something earlier?) And Bob, your post gave me a pleasant surreal moment. I read your post thinking of mentalism...then I realized it was a torn & restored newspaper. Smile A "Twight Zone" moment... But of course, there are other effects with the name "center tear". I wasn't completely clear in the initial post...
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Gentlemen,

I stand corrected. I was indeed thinking of the tabloid tear. (You know mental resources here are limited! My co-workers are bird brains.)

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
jacky kahan
View Profile
New user
Belgium
12 Posts

Profile of jacky kahan
Check out http://www.magicbooks.be
just make a search on center tear
all the best

jacky
http://www.magicbooks.be
Jacky Kahan
www.magiccafe.com
JoshEarp
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of JoshEarp
Where can I see a video of the CT?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
As a youngster (which could not have been long ago) I called the mental center tear technique the "Dead man test". What about Bill? Did you?

(It bought me a lot of beer in the Navy.)

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
heidelberk
View Profile
New user
philippines
4 Posts

Profile of heidelberk
HI guys I'm new here, is the perfected center tear by osterlind is totally different from those old ct method or it is almost the same thing? I read about it including "ashes on the arm" using perfected center tear in a walk around situation, is that the same thing which blaine did in his fearless video. lol! thanks
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I went to the Belgian forum, did a search on "center tear" and came up with nothing.

Osterlind's center tear is a much-improved version of the classic method. This is an open forum, so we don't tip details of methods here.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
It also looks to me like Annemann invented this-From his book PME,his name appears above the effect,which says that it is his.
Andre
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Annemann did not write Practical Mental Effects. This is one of the most often misattributed books in mentalism.

The name of the book is Annemann's Practical Mental Effects. The author/editor was John J. Crimmins, Jr.

While Annemann wrote most of the material in the book, it was Crimmins who was responsible for the selection of the material and for making it into a really solid piece of work. He is so seldom credited for his contributions to mentalism, that I think it's time this is corrected.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bill,

You did it again! I really enjoy reading your posts for the tid bits that you add that forever escape us in the other media.

Thank you for the research.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
No biggie. I just have a bunch of shelves full of books here. Sometimes I actually look at the covers and title pages! Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
August 1932, Annemann contributed his "Ne Plus Ultra" to Thayer's Trick of the month club, I think before that it was passed around to a select few privatly.
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2005-07-03 13:14, Bill Palmer wrote:
Annemann did not write Practical Mental Effects. This is one of the most often misattributed books in mentalism.

The name of the book is Annemann's Practical Mental Effects. The author/editor was John J. Crimmins, Jr.

While Annemann wrote most of the material in the book, it was Crimmins who was responsible for the selection of the material and for making it into a really solid piece of work. He is so seldom credited for his contributions to mentalism, that I think it's time this is corrected.

Bill, I think there were a couple of books that came out with Annemann's name on them after his death, which consisted mostly of material mined from the pages of "The Jinx".
I always thought the authors/editors of these books did a great service to the magic community by researching and organizing this terrific resource, and in some cases re-writing the material..
I'm thinking specifically of a book of card effects, but I can't remember the precise title. Was this also Crimmins' work?
Oh and a great deal of credit also has to go to J. G Thompson Jr. for indexing the original material in "Jinx"
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
I just want to ask Bill: When you read the word 'I' in PME, to whom does that refer( Annemann or Crimmins)???
AJ
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Al Mann also did a lot of creative, but largely ignored, work on and around the CT, for example (but not restricted to) his Umbrella move.

Does any one has a good sound justification for asking the spectator to write something (which is heavily time consuming even in a mentalist effect) and then to immediately tear it down. It seems odd to me.
The rest is easy to justify but I'm having a hard time to feel this part as being logic. Even if it seems to get by with audiences, it remains as a logical discrepency. I'd love to get original patter lines on this section or any form of justification.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Center tear (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL