We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Small Packet Double Deal Turnover (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2245 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I'm having trouble with this and wonder if anyone can offer advice. The sleight is described in The Secrets of Brother John Hamman, p. 244. My difficulty is that I can't push over the bottom card without the middle card going along with it, staying aligned with it. Perhaps five times out of *many* tries, I did manage it, but I have no idea what I did -- and that was at the beginning. Even with hand lotion and new cards I am now unable to execute the move.

I'd welcome any suggestions.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2245 Posts

Profile of Bob G
P. S. I just tried the move again a few times. Despite the importance in general of using a light touch, I found that I could sometimes make the move work (though not elegantly) but pushing really hard upward on the bottom card. That sometimes separated the bottom card from the middle one.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1352 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I use this move all the time....You should start off with a block push off.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1352 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Sent you a pm.

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2245 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi professor,

I like your paradoxical signature. I wonder if you could give me more detail, by PM if it would involve too much exposure? A block pushoff would move the top and middle cards to the right, exposing part of the left side of the bottom card. I don't see how that in itself would help. What happens next?

Thanks,

Bob
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1352 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Sorry I was not able to help.
Maybe try to contact Steve Reynolds (Hamman expert) here on the Café or though his web site.
He's a good guy and very helpful.

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2245 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi folks,

Turns out professorwhut had a different move in mind from what I was asking about. So I'm still eager to hear people's ideas. And thanks again to professor.

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2245 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Just to be clear about what the sleight accomplishes: It allows you to do a D. Turnover from a three card packet in left-hand dealing position, but the two cards that turn are the top and *bottom*, not the top two. Like Marlo's three-way move but more subtle.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2245 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Prof W, for the suggestion to contact Steve Reynolds. I found a Steve Reynolds in New Orleans, but his website gave an error message when I clicked on "Contact." So I'm wondering if you know his web address (in case I had the wrong Steve Reynolds) or his user name on the Café. I didn't find a Steve Reynolds, though there was an SReynolds or something like that.

Later: I found another website, and it must be the right "Steve Reynolds," because he has a small book out about Hamman. But I got the same error message. So I guess what I need is his Café user name.

Bob
Ian Richards
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Ian Richards
The move as described - top and bottom cards of a three card packet turned over as a double card, can be accomplished using the Christ - Annemann alignment move (from Three Card Monte). Kostya Kimlat has an excellent variation and a lot of work on this move in his "Card Work, Card Play" notes.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2245 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Ian. I use the alignment move (I mistakenly called it the three-way move in a previous post on this thread) in Color Monte. The move fits there because it looks a bit out of the ordinary and thus suspicious, in keeping with the con-game theme of the story. I want to learn Bottom Deal Double Turnover in order to perform Jennings' beautifully direct handling of Dr. Daley's Last Trick; there the turnover needs to be more subtle. But I'll see if I can find the notes you referred to.

Bob
Tortuga
View Profile
Special user
Ballwin, MO
866 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
Try buckling the bottom card and then relaxing as you extend your pinky just a bit. It is a subtle move, no need to have the card project a great deal.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2245 Posts

Profile of Bob G
To Ian: Just looked up Kimlat's notes; they sound too difficult for my current level. But I appreciate the suggestion.

To Tortuga: Buckling remains tricky for me, though I'm getting better. Paul Wilson has a video where he does something similar to what you describe, and I've been working on it a bit -- but so far I haven't been able to convert the potential energy of the buckle into the kinetic energy of rightward motion of the bottom card (if you don't mind a bit of physics terminology Smile )

Thanks to you both,

Bob
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
812 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Hi Bob,

Try moving the left thumb to the outer left corner of the middle card a fraction of a second before pushing the bottom card. Practice the move without the top card and see how the motion feels then replicate that with the top card in place.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Small Packet Double Deal Turnover (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL