The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Why we do it/did it... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
In the late 60's I had an act I was doing at parties, showcases etc...Stage Magic and Escapes. There was this old folks home in Staten Island NY and I got the bright idea to put on a Variety show for them.
The date was set...I had talked 2 other performers into coming the long trip from NY City to lend their talents...a juggler (great act but I forget the name) and a musician/clown (also forget) any way...the day came...we had the hall...we set up and about 30 minutes before show time the RAIN came down like I have never seen (even to this day!)...a huge storm. Well showtime passed and NOBODY was in the seats. The juggler was getting really ticked off and began to pack up...then...as if in a Spielberg movie...I looked out the window and here they came...in the heavy rain...walking...limping...being pushed in their wheel chairs...with canes...a mob of them...coming over the hill. Suddenly behind them came a gaggle of attendents running with towels! Eventually busses with more old folks.

Seems the director of the home had canceled the show! And stopped the loading of the busses! (Didn't bother to tell us though!) BUT, there was no way these folks were going to miss their show! Not this day!

The auditorium wound up packed and SRO with the most responsive audience I ever had. When I called for a volunteer for the Guilloteen an ancient lady came up and went through the business and was very funny and perfect with all the cues I had given her. Turns out she had been the assistant to a big time Illusionist.

Needless to say, we made their day...maybe their year and they made ours. Later...working in front of half attentive (at best) night club crowds, this always stuck with me as the highlight of a spotty career.

To those of you who work the Old Folks Homes doing a free show know what I'm talking about.

Doug
Encinitas
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Great story man...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Why we do it/did it... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL