The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Tricky business Ľ Ľ Delta Variant (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
There is an interesting article in today's Wall Street Journal entitled, "Companies Thought They Had Plans for Fall. Now They Are Scrapping Them." The article's subtitle is, "The fast-spreading Delta variant has managers revamping schedules, with bosses delaying office re-openings and canceling events."

It's an interesting read especially for those who work larger festivals.

While I am continuing to book outdoor fall shows, I have recently noticed some hesitancy with groups as far as December shows are concerned. Is anyone else experiencing that?

A few places that I traditionally work every year prior to the pandemic are scaling back this year, mainly because their businesses have financially suffered during the pandemic. That's certainly understandable.

Thankfully I just booked a few holiday shows last week. Still, others are saying they need more time to evaluate matters.

Anyway, we'll see where this leads us in the weeks and months ahead.

Gerry
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1185 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Probably a good idea to start rehearsing the old zoom shows!!!

Iíve only had one cancellation so far - a company banquet at the convention center.
But everyone around here is talking like shows and events are going to cancelled again. We shall see!

Iím glad that most of the events Iíve been working this year are outdoors. Definitely makes me feel more comfortable personally.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20726 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I'll weigh in so I can be 100% wrong again.

But with the vaccine being effective I can't see another total shutdown.

But I've been very wrong about this so don't put any stock in my viewpoint!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1185 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2021, Dannydoyle wrote:

Thatís what I was thinking too but now that hospitals are starting to fill up again Iím not so sure.
Iím ďfully vaxxedĒ as the kids say, but Iím still being cautious and wearing masks indoors now.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2861 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I hope not, but yeah I can see where a shutdown could very well happen again. Just too much stuff going on.

Iíll also tell my friends here like Iím telling my youtube audience. Now is a good time to buy up some extra grocery items, a major food shortage is in the making right now. I was in the supermarket business for a long time, and I still have friends higher up in the supermarket industry that tells me itís the worst they have ever seen it. Itís a combination of things causing the shortage and I wonít go into that here, but be prepared, this is much more than toilet paper this time.

Tom
Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.--Robert Brault

Tom Boleware
https://www.youtube.com/TomsBackyardChats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20726 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2021, thomasR wrote:
Quote:

Thatís what I was thinking too but now that hospitals are starting to fill up again Iím not so sure.
Iím ďfully vaxxedĒ as the kids say, but Iím still being cautious and wearing masks indoors now.

There is a lot going on, and in some ways it is much better with the vaccine. BUT it is also much worse politically than it was at first so that is a HUGE factor.

I live right smack dab in the middle of a section of the country that will fight a shut down. I have my doubts that they could sell it again. I am not taking a position on if it is right or wrong. I am just saying it might be a much tougher sell this time.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2321 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Close to 70% of Americans are vaccinated, another 10% have had the virus and therefore have natural immunity. Out of the 20% left the vast majority are either children or very healthy people who will recover quickly if they even get the virus at all.

Sorry, I don't see a major threat to society.

My summer business has never been better and we just booked a cruise for November to reward ourselves. Time to move on.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1185 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:

I live right smack dab in the middle of a section of the country that will fight a shut down. I have my doubts that they could sell it again. I am not taking a position on if it is right or wrong. I am just saying it might be a much tougher sell this time.

Same here. I donít see my area closing venues again but I do think some businesses will choose to cancel events. Iíve only lost one gig so far due to the current covid wave. I had been hired through the convention centers event planner and she told me the client cancelled the entire event because of covid concerns. I see more of that possibly happening if things donít get better.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20726 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't do those functions so unless it is a total shut down of our town it won't really affect me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
After I posted this some of my December groups called back and booked my show after all. So, maybe I was yelling "the sky is falling'" a little too soon.

Nevertheless, I still feel that the article I referenced was timely and a good read.

Thanks,

Gerry
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20726 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
After what has happened in recent past the sky is falling did not seem so far fetched friend.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1185 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2021, Dannydoyle wrote:
I don't do those functions so unless it is a total shut down of our town it won't really affect me.

Oh yeah... I donít see Branson shutting down.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20726 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nothing I'm about to write is to be interpreted as my viewpoint. It is simply stating how many feel here.

The apatite for any form of government mandate is quite small. The mayor has said he will not enact another mask mandate. Some individual businesses have.

Tourists and locals certainly can wear masks as they feel comfortable. It is a quite small percentage of folks who do.

Branson has been open for much longer than most cities. We have experienced a very strong season. The fall season is on track to really be healthy.

I don't know what would happen if the mandates were strict. I have enough trouble with the world as it is, much less how it might be.

I think that in my area they were affected relatively little by the actual virus. Shutting down on the other hand has hit hard. The affects of the shut down was very real and very scary for everyone. Yes one death is too many. But there has been some catastrophic consequences from shutting down as well. Not things you see in the Worldometer site, but family businesses for generations are now shuttered with no way for them to make money. The consequences for those families are quite real.

Again I don't know what is or was right or wrong. I do know that if we have this virus forever we must learn to live with it. I don't know what that looks like.

Also around here the phrase "new normal" may get you punched lol.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Tricky business Ľ Ľ Delta Variant (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL