The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Heads or Tails (CSB) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shikanominarazu
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Shikanominarazu
In my CSB routine, for reasons that are likely obvious to most of you, the majority of the time the audience sees the head of the silver coin. In the last phase, I can show either side. I'm not sure what is better: show heads to keep it consistent, or show tails to show that both sides can be seen. What do you guys think?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9211 Posts

Profile of funsway
Methinks there are other options that the two you offer.

orchestrate the desire for magic to occur so strong they do not notice or care about heads or tails.

get them so involved in story using personification and anthropomorphizing psychology that "coin" is not a reference and 'side' irrelevant.

to use borrowed or spectator selected coins so that they are perceptually "pre-inspected" and beyond suspicion or need of acquitment.

to massage the Summarization of events to have them remember seeing both sides even if they did not.

regardless, your concern over this issue can transmit to the audience as doubt . So, how do you make it not be a concern for you, then it will not be a concern for them?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Shikanominarazu
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 18, 2021, funsway wrote:
Methinks there are other options that the two you offer.

I must disagree here. Even with all of the mitigation of them "not caring," people notice stuff sometimes. Nothing says I can't work on atmosphere and think about what side of the coin is up should someone notice. Even with awful presentation, I doubt it will be noticed more than once in a hundred performances, but this is a fairly minimal effort (effectively none once I'm used to it).
So, heads heads heads?
Or heads heads tails?
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
Why not just flash both?
Shikanominarazu
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 18, 2021, Frank Yuen wrote:
Why not just flash both?

Interesting idea. Slight technical challenge but doable.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2090 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2021, Shikanominarazu wrote:
Quote:
Why not just flash both?

What's the challenge? Let's assume your gimmick has TAILS for the half dollar.
In most basic CSB routines you stagger the coins in one hand laying the half dollar on top, HEADS up.
You close your hand, turn it over and pull out the nested gimmick TAILS side up.
Totally congruent with your actions and they see both sides of the half.
Shikanominarazu
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 27, 2021, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why not just flash both?

In most basic CSB routines you stagger the coins in one hand laying the half dollar on top, HEADS up.
You close your hand, turn it over and pull out the nested gimmick TAILS side up.

In the phase I am describing, I am actually pulling out the half, whilst secretly removing the gimmick, which is why it can be either side up when I remove it from my hand. The technical challenge is to turn the coin over without exposing the hidden gaff. It's not particularly difficult, but it could be busted if I'm not careful about it.
I put the half tails up (my gaff shows a head) in the spread of coins in the other phases to achieve the effect you describe in all the previous phases, just to make sure everything looks copacetic.
Brookie2644
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Brookie2644
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2021, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why not just flash both?

Agree!
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
If they only see heads, isn't that a giveaway?
NicholasD25
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
I don’t think anyone notices or cares but us.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
986 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
You are running w/ out being chased. It goes right by them everytime… Every single time. remember when you first saw it? what do you remember? 🙂🙂
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9211 Posts

Profile of funsway
Solving this from a different direction, I have decided to reales my "Triple By-Pass" routine as a follow-up to a CSB presentation.

You have three Volunteer Assistance each select a coin to 'protect" and thus prove its normality in the handling.
With one holding the Silver, another the brass and the third the Copper and verbally confirming which they hold
the coins change place in their hands with you across the room - a triple transposition.

Can be done with any three different coins, poker chips, butts, etc - but has special impact following a CSB routine,
and the original version used Hershey mini-bars.

This not only serves as Acquitment for the coins be normal, but accentuates the transpositions you did in hand with the CSB.

I still usually have spectators select the three coins in the first place as mentioned above so that I can refer to "their coins."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Heads or Tails (CSB) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL