The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rolling Stones drummer dead at 80 (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
RIP, Charlie.

In the early 1960s when I was bitten by the rock ‘n’ roll bug, I first wanted to be a drummer, emulating both Ringo and Charlie.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58316842
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
The two richest. Good on ya.
RIP Charlie.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Many years later, around 1991, I saw him playing live in a smallish Greenwich Village club with his jazz quintet. Marvelous concert!

Mr. Watts seemed to be the most sensible member of the Stones. Never any drug or sex shenanigans, no late-night clubbing or ego problems. He lived a quiet life and didn’t flaunt his success.

He kept a solid beat, with nevertheless a ‘loose” playing style. Certainly had a big influence on me!

Thank you, Charlie.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
And Keith Richards is still alive.

RIP, Charlie.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
And Charlie was hands down the best dressed rocker ever..
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Found some great quotes about Charlie:

“With his limber stance, keen knowledge of jazz, and unruffled ability to make songs swing even when keeping the strictest time, Watts is regarded as one of the greatest – and most stylish – rock drummers of all time.”

Charlie didn’t like drum solos, saying: “I admire some people that do them, but generally I prefer drummers playing with the band. The challenge with rock ’n ’roll is the regularity of it. My thing is to make it a dance sound – it should swing and bounce.”

And from Keith Richards: “Everybody thinks Mick and Keith are the Rolling Stones. If Charlie wasn’t doing what he’s doing on drums, that wouldn’t be true at all. You’d find out that Charlie Watts IS the Stones.”
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Then there is the classic story of the time when Mick Jagger referred to Charlie Watts as "my drummer."

Charlie socked him in the jaw, and corrected Mick: "I'm not your drummer. You're my singer."
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rolling Stones drummer dead at 80 (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL