The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Marked Decks- Your Favorite Implementations (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
Will likes to post so he has made
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
I wonder if anyone has experimented with the viability of using a marked deck for a memorization routine? It would require a [i]lot[/i[] of "playing up" but I think it could work. Would take a long time, the audience would already need to be pretty invested in the performer.
bentpenny
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of bentpenny
I'm not sure if using a marked deck for a deck memorization routine would be that great. I'm assuming you're first going to give the deck out to be freely shuffled. I think the rhythm would be off compared to using some type of st*** where you could rapid fire 10 cards in a row.

My favorite way to use a marked deck is to try using one for any routine that involves a key card. I find that I usually discover some interesting things when I do that.

I'd also recommend downloading the DMC Passports (they used to sell these but now offering for free). They have some good tricks/ideas in the booklets. I've found that in spite of them being free to download, most magicians haven't bothered to read through them.
https://store.dmcmagic.com/pages/passports-and-instructions
MikeShaw247
View Profile
New user
Richmond, Virginia
13 Posts

Profile of MikeShaw247
Quote:
On May 18, 2022, davidn wrote:
Give the deck to the spectator and say that he should play the part of the magician. Have the spectator shuffle and cut the cards and then fan the cards. Have the spectator say to you, “Pick a card. any card....

David - I love this! Really nice and makes it fun, and a nice final effect after a few visual card tricks. Thanks!
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
344 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
Speaking of Marked Decks (which I am) What do you think is the easiest marked deck to read (short of writing on the back with a Sharpie) for 70 year old myopic eyes..
bentpenny
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of bentpenny
@obsidian52 For me, the DMC Elites are the easiest to read. If you do stack work using Mneumonica, then the latest version (v.5) also has markings that are built into the backs specifically for Mneumonica.
bentpenny
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of bentpenny
*Mnemonica Smile
syphon101
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake City, UT
27 Posts

Profile of syphon101
I use a marked deck for Nick Trost's Intuition. It removes the need to touch the spectator's chosen deck and I emphasize in the beginning that I won't ever touch whichever one they select. I saw this idea mentioned in another thread about Nick Trost and I experimented with it. I feel like this adds one degree of impossibility to an already great effect.
JuanPoop
View Profile
Regular user
You are lucky that I have only made
121 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2022, bentpenny wrote:
@obsidian52 For me, the DMC Elites are the easiest to read. If you do stack work using Mneumonica, then the latest version (v.5) also has markings that are built into the backs specifically for Mneumonica.

+1 for the DMCs. My 66 year old eyes can make out the marks very, very easily; yet they fly past spectators. I recently had a 'cynical' friend tell me that I must have used marked cards for a particular trick that I did for him. I confidently handed the deck over and he could not find a clue, even after quite a thorough look.

I do quite a lot of Mnemonica work as well, and as you have stated, the stack numbers are all there as well - in the same format. Card value and suit, as well as stack number are as clear as can be (to you!).
aka Lucky John
JuanPoop
View Profile
Regular user
You are lucky that I have only made
121 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2022, will lane wrote:
I wonder if anyone has experimented with the viability of using a marked deck for a memorization routine? It would require a [i]lot[/i[] of "playing up" but I think it could work. Would take a long time, the audience would already need to be pretty invested in the performer.

There are a few of these that come to mind. I have sent you a PM with one suggestion.
aka Lucky John
Madman13
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Madman13
The optical marking system used by Phil Smith is amazing in the dmc decks. They are a bit expensive but worth it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Marked Decks- Your Favorite Implementations (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL