The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Wanted: Method for producing smoke in a crystal casket (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

seanalexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
194 Posts

Profile of seanalexander
Hi all, I need a method to produce smoke in a crystal casket type illusion. I tried using a smoke machine but it is hit and miss with waiting for it to be at the right temperature to work at the right moment!! Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
I'm not sure what your budget is but the Tiny Fogger would be perfect. It is the smalles fogger in the world with an amazingly high output with a one second warmup time... http://www.theatrefx.com/store/commerce......._foggers

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
Glasgow, Scotland
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
The timing shouldn't be that difficult, just put the machine on around 6 minutes (or whatever the heating time is for your machine) and you should be fine. It's even easier if you have backstage crew, they can do it for you at a certain cue, (i.e. lights up, or lights down or whatever).
Kevin
seanalexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
194 Posts

Profile of seanalexander
It's not as easy as that mate! It takes around 5 minutes to heat up then it's ready BUT!!! After a short while the thermostat kicks in and then has to warm up again - Maybe I have a cr*p machine!!
I was doin a showcase the other year stuck in one of my production items - the compere was going on and on so the machine reset itself!! Agggrrrrhhhhh!!!
Fortunatally he went on a bit longer and the machine warmed up in time for my grand appearance!
Thanx wizard will check out the small machine and thanx Kevin for ur info.
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
Glasgow, Scotland
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Yes, they turn off after they reach their correct temp. Surely you have your act timed out, therefor know in advance when you will need it. Simple backtrack 5 mins and look for some sort of cue, and use that as the trigger to switch on the machine. Then, 5 minutes later, you have a warmed up machine, just when you need smoke.
Kevin
seanalexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
194 Posts

Profile of seanalexander
Yeah I suppose so! Will try it - Cheers
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Your assistant could smoke a cigarette while hiding inside, and blow it through the crack between the trap.
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
There is a way to make the fogger so it will not re heat in cycles but it is ready to go at all times. Just a warning this may kill your fogger in a shorter amount of time than usual.

What kind of fog machine are you useing? I'll see if I can remeber how to do this if your interested. There are very few foggers that do not do cycled heating. The Le Maitre G300 has two heaters so one is heating while the other is ready to go. However this is a large expensive machine and would not be an ideal solution for this case.

I've heard DC uses the tiny foggers in one of his illusions but it was not confirmed or dinied...

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
Paul Arthur
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of Paul Arthur
I've had lots of experience with tiny foggers.... none of them disappointing. I have used it in a Crystal Casket and it worked beautifully. The great thing about the tiny fogger is that it doesn't have a warm up time. It can fog as soon as you attach the battery and push the button. It's also super quiet! It also has an optional remote that can be operated by someone offstage (if the person inside is in a physical position that doesn't allow them to reach a button). As far as foggers inside of illusions go, this one is the best.
seanalexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
194 Posts

Profile of seanalexander
Cheers guys.
Wizard, I'm using a standard fogger (don't know the actual make/model!) Does this matter?
Would be grateful if you could give me more info on pulling it apart!!!! Hee! If I can alter it so it dosen't need to reheat then once I've used it (which generally would be as an opener) then I would simply swith it off after!
Please PM me with more info
Cheers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Wanted: Method for producing smoke in a crystal casket (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL