The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Consulting question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2507 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
For any of you that have done consulting work do you charge by the project?
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20726 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The question in reality begs more questions than spawns answers.

No kidding. What is your level of involvement? What is the amount of time? What is the back end looking like? Do you bring actual qualifications to the project other than just knowing some "secrets" others may not? What is your involvement in over all creative for the project?

That is just a FEW of the questions to answer before an intelligent answer can be even contemplated. Not that this fact will slow anyone here down LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2551 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Wise words. If every project was roughly the same and would predictably take the same amount of time/effort, you could charge by the project. Unfortunately that has yet to be the case for me. Most of the larger companies I work with spend some time talking with me to determine my level of involvement in each phase of production and the time investment required, then come up with a NTE (Not To Exceed) fee. Of course if there are changes that would impact my time they would renegotiate that rate. This might or might not include travel, per diem, zoom meetings, etc. I have a day rate, a half day rate and a 2 hr min for meetings, zoom calls, etc.

One project I worked on was around 5 years, some are 2, some just a few days. It just depends on their needs.
Ray Pierce
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10264 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Great question, but as others have said there are a lot of varying factors. I have done consulting since the 80's and have probably done every kind of arrangement imaginable from flying to Vegas to have lunch with me, to half-day and full-day consultations, to multi-day consultations, to terms for complete projects with NTE parameters, to website and/or promotional materials reviews and critiques, to on-going continual consultations with monthly terms or actual percentage of their project or business. It can really vary.

My AGT, Idol, etc. coaching and consultations can be a single session or ongoing during their length or stay on the show, and in many cases even beyond their time on the show for 6 or 12 months consultations or coaching.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2551 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Mindpro, I would love to take you out to lunch the next time I have anything to work on in Vegas just to thank you for all you do to help others on here. I’m just sorry I didn’t know you the year I lived there!
Ray Pierce
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3098 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
For most projects that are one-on-one, I charge a flat monthly retainer, for a fixed number of interactive sessions.

For projects that involve things like external media appearances (TV, etc.), or developing a keynote presentation, it's project-based and the fee structure can get a little more complex.

e
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10264 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2021, Ray Pierce wrote:
Mindpro, I would love to take you out to lunch the next time I have anything to work on in Vegas just to thank you for all you do to help others on here. I’m just sorry I didn’t know you the year I lived there!

That's great Ray. I didn't realize you lived here for a year. I am usually on the road 40-43 weeks a year, but if were ever both in town at the same time...Have your people call my people. Or you can just PM me, lol!
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2551 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I was the Magic Director for Caesars Magical Empire and lived on property for about a year during construction an the first 3 or 4 months of operation. Now I’m usually just in town for a day or so at a time when installing anything. I have a show I work on at the Flamingo and another I’m lighting that is under construction now downtown. Hopefully our times will match up at some point!
Ray Pierce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Consulting question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL