The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Help cutting a hole in can (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1243 Posts

Profile of imgic
How can I cut a hole in a lid of a tin can so it's smooth? (see attachment)

Not looking to take whole lid off, like with a can opener. Want to leave some of lid on can.

It won't have to pass close inspection but want it smooth enough to not stand out from a distance (there will be an insert in the hole)

I've tried using my dremel tool but no matter what attachments I use it causes dents or leaves ragged edges. Might a jewelry saw work? I've seen them online, but never used one.

Any suggestions would be appreaciated.

Click here to view attached image.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
mroek
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of mroek
A jewelry saw could work, yes. You'd want one of the wire types, and you'd have to start off by drilling a hole in the lid so that you can thread the saw wire in before attaching it to the bow of the saw.

However, that also means you need the other end of the can to be open, but I guess it probably is?
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
848 Posts

Profile of lin
You could try using the dremel to make a rough hole of a smaller diameter than your desired finished size. Then use a half round metal file to clean up the edges. Or, have you tried a grinding stone tone on the dremel? Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-952-Alumin......IW&psc=1
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hello Imgic(!),
...you got me thinking. 🤔

I'll admitt, right away:
"I HAVEN'T the answer."
..but.. 😊

I,.....wouldn't 'jewelry saw' it.
The pushing and pulling,..,would warp the can top.

'Dremel' it?
Obviously not.

I would 'punch' it.

From the 'outside' in.
A wooden block on the inside.
firmly supporting the can...completely.

For a 'punch'..? 🤔
THAT'S THE $1,000,000.00 question.

I would find a pipe,
with an outer-diameter,
of the hole I wanted.
With a file,....or Dremel,..sharpen the INNER(!) edge,
of the pipe.
Then,....with ONE clean hit(!..!).
"pOp!.
(From the outside,.,,inward.)

'bAm!'
....one clean pop.
,...one clean hole!
,,.,,with luck. 🙃

All the best,
gallagher

p.s.: Sorry,,,
but,...
watcha making? ☺️
Thanks.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of imgic
Thanks all. We’re getting ready to move back to Midwest, so will put project on hold for a bit. I’ll try saw, but also intrigued by trying a punch. Will play around with it.

I’m trying to make a gimmicked can for a cups and balls variation. I hve the routine in my head…just need to see if it’s physically practical.
ekins
View Profile
Elite user
Portland, Oregon
482 Posts

Profile of ekins
If you have a drill press and the can is strong enough to clamp tightly, a hole saw might work to cut a nice round hole. You'll still want to smooth the edge to remove any burrs but I think the result should be pretty smooth to begin with.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1975 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Take it to a small, independant machine shop and get it cut on a laithe. Cheaper than getting your finger reattached
and they'll get it perfictly centered, and do it right the first time.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2021, ringmaster wrote:
Take it to a small, independant machine shop and get it cut on a laithe. Cheaper than getting your finger reattached
and they'll get it perfictly centered, and do it right the first time.

Thanks. I’ve neighbor who’s a machinist with Boeing. He’s got pretty decent home shop. I’ll ask him about lathe.
MattyMediocrity
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of MattyMediocrity
If you remove the bottom neatly with a can opener, then punch through the can and outward, whatever method you use to make the hole, you'll be left with an easier cleanup with the mess facing outward, then just glue the bottom back on.

Without a press, I bet using a pipe like the other person said would work just fine.
Creator of Molly Mayhem's 25 Cent Tacos <ultra visual coin bend> Smile

I try to treat others as if this were a small community where we're likely to be face to face one day Smile
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1419 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Buy a hole punch set online. Then punch it. It will be a little bent around the hole. Tap this back with a rubber hammer. Then lightly file the hole edges or use a dremel.
Perfect hole. I have made karate coins with this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Help cutting a hole in can (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL