The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Thimble Magic (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
danedover
View Profile
New user
Central Arkansas
22 Posts

Profile of danedover
Does anyone do a thimble routine as a strolling, walk-up magic? What are the drawbacks, etc.?
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Use to do one.
Leipzig had some good material.
Very few people know what they are though.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
John Carney does a GREAT thimble routine... I marketed a great walk around routine via Ken Brooke, "Pete's Peeper" can be done surrounded, no sanding sidways, facing front. I may soon re-release this. stay tooned....

Bruce Cervon also does a great thimble routine at the Castle Parlour.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dave1216
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Dave1216
Carney does a great thimble routine, however, and this is just my opinion, but do you really think people know what thimble's are anymore? Back in the day, they were more common of an item. But now, I think that most people under the age of 25 have rarely if ever seen (or touched) a thimble.

That being said, some thimble magic (Joe Mogar) can look very magical. But I just don't think that thimbles have a place in today's society.

Dave
My new DVD ("The magic of David Corsaro") is now available from your favorite dealer. Watch the DVD that Daryl, Jon Allen, Shawn Farquhar, Boris Wild, Marc DeSouza, Asi Wind and Paul Green ALL ENDORSE.

Visit www.timetobeawesome.com to watch the new weekly Video Blog for magicians, "Time to be awesome."
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
So call it something else.
like a small hat for your pet mouse or a drinking cup for you sponge rabbits or you could use the cap to chapstick.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
How many ladies of today's generation know what it is to "darn" socks?

Dave (is 1216 your prison number?),
Anyway, did you know what a thimble is? If so, then why wouldn't others? Give people a break.
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
I do thimble quickies at every performance. People don't need to know what they are. They appreciate the manipulations and always seem impressed. So do magicians, by the way, since a whole generation has never seen thimble magic.

Best Regards,
Glenn Godsey
Dave1216
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Dave1216
Pete - Yes I know what a thimble is. I am also over the age of 25.

Try an experiment the next time you are performing. When you pull out a thimble, show it to someone under the age of 25 and ask them if they (a) know what it is and (b) ever touched one.

My point in this whole thread is that, to most people, when a magician does magic with thimbles, they become "magician props" as opposed to "household item."
My new DVD ("The magic of David Corsaro") is now available from your favorite dealer. Watch the DVD that Daryl, Jon Allen, Shawn Farquhar, Boris Wild, Marc DeSouza, Asi Wind and Paul Green ALL ENDORSE.

Visit www.timetobeawesome.com to watch the new weekly Video Blog for magicians, "Time to be awesome."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Call them something else, then... like fingertip savers... fingernail guards, use bottle caps, use lids form something... it doesn't matter.

I used to fold and roll a dollar bill around a finger tip, then do a routine with the bill using thimble moves.

I think people in your demographic know what dollars are...

If you do something interesting looking and amazing, who cares if it is a prop or something you found laying on the ground?
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Tarbell volume 4 has everything you need to know about thimble manipulation, to make up a very good thimble act. Close-up or stage, I highly recommend Tarbell.
Andre
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
Flourish Dude, great ideas! I thought they were hillarious and useable. I just may borrow them.

FC
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
340 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
Or get some fakini (yeah, I know, you can't stack 4 easily) but I mime putting osme creamer in my coffee ccup and then it stuck on my finger and off I am on the routine...
If you use real thimbles-talk about them as thimbles-say your grandmother used to do things witha needle and thread that looked like magic to your young eyes..or that this is all you inherited from her and ...you get the idea-
eric_e
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of eric_e
Davidmagic finally gets to what I'd been wondering about throughout this thread, which is this: assume for a minute that everybody knows what thimbles are when they see them. Doesn't that almost take more explanation than if they're just your sponge rabbit's spitoons, or whatever? I mean, what are you doing walking around, maybe in a tux, etc., playing around with this now largely unknown piece of sewing equipment? What are people to make of that, in the abstract? It seems to me, at least, that such a thing really needs a little explaining, along the lines of what Davidmagic suggests above or something else, unless you just have such a freewheeling performing persona that just about any old crazy thing will fly for you, as I'm sure that some do.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
A "performer" can use ANYTHING and sell it. Like, show a thimble on your finger and say, "Hey, anybody know what this is? It just appeared here and I can't get rid of it."

Blah blah blah... buy Pete's Peeper and you have a great walkaround thimble routine. (Available soon).
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
They could be the top off a tooth paste container... The only thimbles I do right now is the thimble rig.

But I saw a magician at a convention do a thimble routine with black gloves on and did it with cane tips and a cane.

Vanishing from the cane and ending up on his fingers.

It was great!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
209 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
Check out Joe Morgar's book written by Steve Beam! Great reference and routines.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Zack
Its true that thimbles aren't ordinary household objects any more (Although you CAN still buy them at the rite aid) But I think that's okay. They have a kind of classical feel to them...much like the cups and balls (who uses metal cups, anyway?)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Man! You guys seem to think that the only hobby in the world is magic. Guess again. Quilting is getting very big, and it's done by hand. And anyone who quilts has a thimble. Granted that most people who quilt used to be old ladies with a lot of time on their hands, but younger people are taking it up in greater numbers.

Also, people who do reenactments are learning to sew by hand. So thimbles, while they may not be something everyone has in his pocket, are not exactly the modern equivalent of a buttonhook or a buggy whip.

BTW, quilting thimbles have recessed tops like cups. And you can get them in 3-packs at Wal-mart.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
You don't have to call them thimbles.

I don't.i just make one appear and multiply e.t.c and then vansih without calling them anything.

But if I drop them I call them a hole lot of unmentionable things... Smile
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Real Men don't play with thimbles Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Thimble Magic (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL