The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Tip On How To Quickly Book Children Magic Shows Within a Week (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magikomik
View Profile
New user
Europe
7 Posts

Profile of Magikomik
When you quickly need money as professional you may like this tip.

This may work in European countries, I cannot tell for US cities and towns or other areas in the world. It still IS the good way to book multiple children shows within a week in Germany and other countries nearby.

The method is based on newly born children names being published in newspapers and some specialized town magazines and the archives of those publications. Usually newspapers publish names of parents and name of the child including their town part. Then whenever I wanted several shows booked I went to library in Germany and looked for archives of newspapers from before 8 years and 7 days before the current date. I would browse through it and compare the names of parents, especially surnames of parents and have tried to find their current address in the white pages or phone address book.

This worked very well in Stuttgart, Germany, and it still does! Sometimes parents would move to different town part and I would still find them due to the first name and surnames of them being still same. I would then prepare personally addressed letter and probably include the name of the child. If I was handling one part of the town it was even easier and cheaper than mailing it by post office to use my bicycle and deliver my personalized letters just few days before their birthday to their home mailboxes. When handling one part of the town it really makes not much effort.

Some parents have been thinking that I have been recommended by some of their family members and have asked me "Who was it?" and I had to "keep it secret". They often felt even compelled to order the magic show as they felt it being recommended. Often they asked "But how do you know that we have soon birthday?" - and I had to keep it secret and magical. Shows were always successful.

Similarly, it pays off to know various anniversaries and celebrations related to various companies, their owners or shareholders, and various sport events as those clubs have been booking magicians for entertainment.
I have been appearing real bunny on the end of the show, something nobody would believe it would ever happen right in front of their eyes.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10264 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes, this method is as old as the hills for kids parties, weddings, and other consumer markets that publish these announcements. It does take some manual legwork in this day of I-want-it-now-with-just-a-quick-Google-search online world, but as you say, it has worked for generations here too.

I'm not sure how well this would work for gigs "within a week", but I could see within 30 days, due to planning, invitations, paperwork, etc.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2321 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Very early in my career I thought about doing this, but never did due to the amount of work involved. I thought it was my idea. LOL.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2861 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Newborns are great prospects for insurance so you can bet all the local insurance salespeople are gathering names from the newspapers.

Same with newlyweds, the Insurance, Cookware, and Real-estate salespeople are writing down names from the newspapers. Lol

Preschools can also be a good place to gather birthday names.

Tom
Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.--Robert Brault

Tom Boleware
https://www.youtube.com/TomsBackyardChats
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7466 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2021, TomBoleware wrote:

Preschools can also be a good place to gather birthday names.

Tom

I'm a little confused by this comment, Tom.

I would expect Preschools to keep information about the parents and children confidential. I would expect them to keep that information private. Especially details about the children.

Can you please give some further clarification?

For example, I've heard of the idea of asking a preschool / daycare customer if you can leave a rack of postcards / flyers / activity pages on their sign-out table. Especially after you've done a show there. But that's a totally different thing from asking a preschool / daycare to supply you a list of their customers (parents), children, and their birthdays / birth dates.

- Donald

P.S. This tip about gathering names from old birthday announcements in the paper, and then tracking down addresses, is an old one. I read about it in some lecture notes from the 1980s, or earlier. I never did it myself, because it seems too invasive to send a random parent some timely info about your birthday show, when they haven't requested it.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2861 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
You're right Donald, they would never give you a list of the children. (Sorry I made it sound like that) But there’s a good chance they will give out YOUR info to the parents with upcoming birthdays. They may also allow you to leave your cards, or brochure at the front desk. Or even send one home with every child.

Tom
Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.--Robert Brault

Tom Boleware
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10264 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
People move much more today, especially young people/couples so I'm not sure how effective it could be. For weddings, looking up Engagement Announcements usually lead you to the parents of the bride and groom-to-be which are much more current and permanent.

We did Engagement Announcements starting in 1977 and continued to put our interns on this consistently nearly 25 years. This and having our own bridal registry worked great for the wedding market.

Kids parties seem less ideal as there can be much more effective and easier ways to do the same type of thing today.

While I of course always prefer inbound passive inquiries, doing active outbound lead gen can also be quite beneficial, usually with some type of system in place.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
726 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Quote:
They may also allow you to leave your cards, or brochure at the front desk. Or even send one home with every child.

Tom

When I do daycares or preschools, every child gets a coloring sheet which is a caricature image of me which they can take home. My contact information is on the bottom of the coloring sheet. Hopefully the coloring sheet gets put up on Mom's refrigerator.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20726 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
You're right Donald, they would never give you a list of the children. (Sorry I made it sound like that)

Tom

Yes it is exactly what you made it sound like. How creepy would that be?

I’m just curious as to how much one can charge for a pre school show?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2861 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, Most charge what they can get. LOL

The fees differ from area to area. I would say somewhere between $100 and $500 with $500 being rare. But it's easy to do more than one show in a day, and it's during weekdays which is usually slow for the kidshow magician. Also, I’ve always said that Daycare Centers can be your lead gathering headquarters for other kid shows. Getting to know some of the local daycare teachers can be a big plus in booking birthday shows.

Not only would I do as misterillusion said above, and send a coloring sheet or something home with the kids, I would personally give every teacher there a card.

Tom

Tom Boleware
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20726 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
$500 for a daycare show would be Unicorn rare from what I have heard.

I mean there is just no budget for such things.

Sure you can do more than one show in a day, but you can run through a whole bunch of them in a month and then are out of work. I was just curious and it seems exactly what I have thought it was.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2321 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I have an interesting story about Daycare show pricing if anyone is interested.

About 25 years ago I followed some advice I heard on an audio tape. They advised me to price my Daycare shows very low. I sent out a large mailing and I believe the price I was going for was $65. The mailing failed miserably! I think I booked two shows.

I was discouraged about the Daycare market and drifted away to do other venues like birthday parties and eventually school assemblies where I could get a much higher fee. I would occasionally book a Daycare by happen chance, but I charged my family magic show fee of $350. The amount of Daycares I did increased every year, and all at my full price.

This past summer, not only did I do about 10 shows for Daycares at the $350 price, but several of Daycares booked my school assemblies. My summer rate for school assemblies is $500!!!

Moral of the story #1: If you don’t think you’re worth much money, other people won’t either.

Moral of the story #2: Daycares do have a budget!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2861 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Well said Ken

In most areas Daycare costs more than College, so yes they do have the money

But the average Daycare with the young ages just can’t see that much value in a show.

Those with big after-school programs (that keep older kids) you can certainly get a much better fee.

Tom

Tom Boleware
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1251 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Because of Covid (so they could have kids in smaller groups), some preschools booked me for 2-3 shorter shows in a row, so I charged more in total. I did ask them to mix up the age groups so I wouldn't have 1 group that is all 1 and 2 year olds, I never attempt doing shows when they are all 2 and under. I haven't attempted quick fixes to earn money, but if I have a slow week and I need money I'm more flexible on travel distance, etc., usually I'm fussy about stuff like that. I've moved twice since I started doing gigs, and each time I was able to get up and running kind of quickly just by having some basics in place before I moved, such as a good website and having the free local Google listing set-up.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
This method being discussed appeared in a late 1970/early 1980 magic marketing manuscript issued by Donn Davison.

Gerry
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7466 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2021, Ken Northridge wrote:
I have an interesting story about Daycare show pricing if anyone is interested.

About 25 years ago I followed some advice I heard on an audio tape. They advised me to price my Daycare shows very low. I sent out a large mailing and I believe the price I was going for was $65. The mailing failed miserably! I think I booked two shows.

I was discouraged about the Daycare market and drifted away to do other venues like birthday parties and eventually school assemblies where I could get a much higher fee. I would occasionally book a Daycare by happen chance, but I charged my family magic show fee of $350. The amount of Daycares I did increased every year, and all at my full price.

This past summer, not only did I do about 10 shows for Daycares at the $350 price, but several of Daycares booked my school assemblies. My summer rate for school assemblies is $500!!!

Moral of the story #1: If you don’t think you’re worth much money, other people won’t either.

Moral of the story #2: Daycares do have a budget!

My experience is somewhat like Ken's, and somewhat different.

First off, I'd say that for me, I define a Daycare show or Preschool show, as a show for children ages 3-6. Sometimes these shows are for events that include the parents.

But there are also shows for Out of School Care (OSC) and Summer Day Camps, where the audience is children ages 5-12 (or 6-12).

Some performers lump all of those together as "Daycare shows", but I don't.

In addition to making sure that my magic shows are age-appropriate, I offer different length shows, and also upgrades (like a smaller illusion in a show, like the Floating Child Illusion), or add-ons (like an hour of Balloon Twisting).

Having said that, my experience over the years is that Daycares and Preschools tend to book a shorter show / lower budget show. But the OSC and Summer Day Camps will spend more for a show and even pay for upgrades or add-ons. So, for me, Daycares and Preschools tend to spend $200-$250, but OSC and Summer Day Camps tend to spend $250-$400+. Some book me once a year, and some book me several times a year (I offer new show content for repeat customers)

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10264 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2021, Donald Dunphy wrote:
First off, I'd say that for me, I define a Daycare show or Preschool show, as a show for children ages 3-6. Sometimes these shows are for events that include the parents.

But there are also shows for Out of School Care (OSC) and Summer Day Camps, where the audience is children ages 5-12 (or 6-12).

- Donald

I agree with your perspective Donald. I have been booking OSC, after-schools and camp shows for decades and never considered ourselves in the Daycare market.

To us they are simply part of the kids/family market and school, park district markets. Personally for me, daycares seem more like a guest babysitter, whereas camps, schools, and park district shows are more actual performances.

As myself and others as performers daycares really had no room for profitability as we have found the same pricing range as you offered.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Tip On How To Quickly Book Children Magic Shows Within a Week (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL