The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Who do you prefer? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
Who do you prefer...

The routines of Roth or Rubenstein? I have not got any Rubenstein so I would like to hear the differences. (I have the Roth videos but I'm updating them to DVDs so if anyone has the David Roth DVDs 1-3 or the Rubentein DVDs 1-3 to sell PM me.)
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
That's sort of like comparing apples and oranges. I mean if you want to make sure your basics are top notch, I'd go with Roth. If you want some different material to work on, go with Rubenstein.
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
I agree with James, but in the reverse. I think of Rubenstein's Encyclopedia videos as a great resource for getting your coin sleights down. Roth's work is wonderful and often surreal.
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Both David and Michael have lots to offer as they are both great thinkers and technicians (and purty darn good at performing as well). But let's face facts, if there was no Roth, chances are Dr. Rubenstien would be just another card guy...yuck! Hey Mike, I'd still want that front row seat! Smile

Mike
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
What's wrong with card guys??? BTW, you aren't too shabby with cards yourself...

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
BTW, you aren't too shabby with cards yourself...

Shhhhhhhh!!!

Mike
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
Thanks I'm gonna look into the Rubinstein DVDs
Justin Hart
View Profile
Loyal user
Warsaw, VA
221 Posts

Profile of Justin Hart
I'll tell you Mike Gallo is a legend also. Study his material as well as Jonathan Townsend. You'll be grounded there...undergrounded and like a strong foundation of a house, you'll never fall.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Yo Mike, that front row center seat has your name on it already! Have you talked to Geoff yet? And you're right about Roth...I developed my own techniques in the 70's then saw Dave, Geoff, and "the guys" in NYC, decided that my own stuff was s**t compared to what they were up to, and focused on retention and fingertip techniques. I have stated it before, I don't think there is a coin worker around that doesn't owe a huge debt of gratitude to Roth for advancing coin magic to the levels it has reached.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I can't condone comparing the routines of folks in the interest of saying whose are better.

Try looking at a few routines from both guys ( Mike and David ) and see whose YOU like, and also which YOU would like to work on.

And... feel free to attend the NY event so you can learn from both of them.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Yo Mike, that front row center seat has your name on it already

Very cool Mike...now just let me know the time and place...I'll bring the blintz's!!!

Mike
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
What does r.o.p.s stand for?
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Retention Open Palm Steal. Its taught on both of my DVD sets -Knockout COin Magic and The Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights. Also in my lecture notes 3, and COINvention lecture notes.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
RE: "I can't condone comparing the routines of folks in the interest of saying whose are better."

I agree there Jon. I have several of David Roth's materials, as well as Michaels, and I can safely say that I've learned a lot from both men. However, since the topic here is "Whom do I prefer", I'd have to say that I prefer David's sophisiticated demeanor, and I prefer Michael's relaxed and easy attitude.

I'd also prefer to have the skill sets of both Smile

And finally, sometimes I prefer blondes, but I'm no gentleman Smile

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I also try to keep an open mind.

Both have "taught me" from a distance.

You can learn from some of the "unknowns" as well.

Two examples include a man I met at a city market, and an inmate at Kansas' Oldest Bed and Breakfast.(AKA Lansing Correctional Facilities Maximum Security.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Who do you prefer? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL