The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Spooky Road Trips (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
This is a fun read:
https://www.tripsavvy.com/spookiest-road......-5078736

What is your favorite spooky road trip?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
The creepiest place I've been is Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia. Opened in 1829. The penitentiary was eventually shut down in 1971 because it was too costly to maintain the old stone buildings. The penitentiary is now owned by a not-for-profit and the crumbling cell blocks open to the public as a historic sight.
https://www.easternstate.org/
Bob
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
My family and I went there too, along with a couple of other vacant prisons, but Eastern State is definitely the creepiest.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
581 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Funny.
We went to Eastern State for their Halloween Haunted House walk through and got their early. Took the daytime (self guided) tour. It was MUCH scarier then the haunt.
At one point we heard ghostly voices and my wife and I freaked out a bit only to find that about 100 yards away from us was a display called something like "Voices of the Past" with men talking about their experiences in the Prison. Talk about sighs of relief!
Would love to take a night tour of the place!
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Back in the day when prison was punishment and not paid vacation. Prisoners had few rights in those days and many prisons were super harsh.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Eastern State Penitentiary (ESP) has an interesting history. It was formed by the Quakers under the belief that if you isolated each prisoner, providing them with separate cells and exercise areas and only a bible to read, that they will find salvation and redeem themselves. This practice only lasted a short while, as the cost of maintaining one prisoner per cell was high, and upon release from prison it was found that most returned to their criminal ways. The isolation during this period was pretty extreme, but I don't recall all the details.
Bob
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I just ordered this book .. Might be a good road trip. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/146714......F8&psc=1
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
PennHurst Asylum is number two on my list. Build in 1903 and closed in 1987 after 79 years of controversy of being understaffed, dirty and violent. We did the midnight tour through one of the remaining buildings in October many years ago. Self guided with only a hand flash light it was a truly creepy experience.
Bob
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
581 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Pennhurst was good, but nothing has ever given me the oppressive, depressed feeling of Eastern State. They designed it to do its job too well!
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
320 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
You want depressing, you should have seen Greystone Psychiatric Hospital in Parsippany NJ just about 5 minutes from my house. Originally known as the Lunatic Asylum at Morristown when it was built in 1879, the main building had the largest continuously poured foundation of any building in the world until the Pentagon was built. The place was huge and super creepy. About 20 years ago, they started closing it down and building a new hospital on a different spot on the property. Eventually it was completely abandoned and slated for demolition. When you'd go by at night, it was completely dark except for one hallway on the second floor that they kept lit for some inexplicable reason. That was super eerie and I would get a very uneasy feeling just driving by. Ghost Hunters filmed an episode there, and I always thought it would make a great Halloween attraction like Eastern State.
Anyway, today the old campus is a county park with sports fields and playgrounds and a dog park. Pretty much nothing remains from its previous life. Interestingly enough, the new hospital has many of the same problems the old one did in terms of staff abusing patients, patients occasionally escaping, crowded conditions etc. Some things don't change I guess.....
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Greystone Psychiatric Hospital

In the early 70s, I use to go to Greystone Psychiatric Hospital once a month to show the more lucid patients how to do simple magic tricks. It was my contribution to its occupational therapy program.

After about six months, they asked me to speak to a number of doctors. We sat in a room, and they questioned me about how they didn't think it was helpful to be "training" the patients using fantasy, illusion and deception (I kid you not).

I told them until these people learn to think in the abstract, no matter how well you program them to go about the motions of a "healthy" person, if they can't touch the creative side of their life, then you have nothing but "cured" robots.

I walked out, never to return.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Good for you Al!!!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2021, Slim King wrote:
Good for you Al!!!!!!!

Just as a coda on my short story.

Visiting hospitals and such was an outreach by Ring 200 of the IBM, in North Brunswick, New Jersey.

It just so happens, David Copperfield was a junior member of that ring (I use to drive him home after our monthly meetings).

That's where Copperfield got the idea for his "Project Magic" outreach to hospitals around the country, but the idea didn't start with him.

My bottom line, since he eventually had such a public presence, and was able to kick-start such a program, I wished him no ill feelings. I'm glad he was able to broaden what Ring 200 started.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I bet you have some fantastic Copperfield stories!!!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Spooky Road Trips (11 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL