The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Ribbon Prison (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mroek
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of mroek
I didn't have any version of Ed Massey's brilliant invention "Ribbon Fantastique", and as you all know, there are loads of versions based on this principle. I particularly liked Alan Warner's "Thru-N-Thru", and I also liked Victor Superanto's version of Tenyo's Sutekina where he made it into a prison.

This inspiration resulted in what I have called "Ribbon Prison", where the ribbon is used to imprison two villains, represented by the two plates with holes in them. The prison itself is made to look like a brick wall with a gaping hole in it. Here are some pictures:

Many versions of this trick are said to be examinable, but I have it on good authority that they really are not. Spectators might not immediately know the method, but they will discover suspicious things. If you have a version that you really think is examinable, I'd like to know which version it is.

My version is examinable. The spectator can insert one or both plates, and they will just slide down and into the apparatus without any other movement being possible. There's also nothing to be seen, at least not under normal lighting conditions. The interior is black (so I had to swap colors when printing for some of the parts), and even with a flashlight it would be very hard to discover anything.
mroek
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of mroek
I created a short video as well. Nothing exciting, just shows the props in use with a mediocre storyline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnCZK6B7vAE
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5589 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
More stunning work mroek! I'm continually amazed by how wonderfully designed your props are. One can tell you put just as much time into the physical appearance of your work as you do with the engineering.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
mroek
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of mroek
Ok, so I suddenly remembered that I once bought some transparent self-adhesive vinyl for inkjet printing, which I actually have never even tried. I figured this could be an opportunity to try something new...

I found a graphic online, and worked on it in Photoshop to make it the correct size, and to add some alignment marks and whatnot. Then I printed the image on the vinyl, but since it is transparent once the white backing is removed, it needs a white background. So I went to town and redesigned the plate to have a precise outline of the chosen graphic, and then printed new plates. The technique is the same as before, just that in the first version I had golden inlays (outline and center section) where I now have white. I could have printed the outline in golden as before, but that meant one more color swap, so I just went with white instead.

Then I added the graphics so that it fits exactly over the white outline, and hey presto:

I will admit that the graphic is perhaps a bit childish, but somehow I found it quite fitting for this trick. I cut the holes in the vinyl for the slots in the plate after I had added the vinyl, because then I could use the holes as guides for the knife.

Pretty happy with how this turned out, and it is clearly a technique that has great potential.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
559 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
You made your prop 100% better with the graphics!!
mroek
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of mroek
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2021, Dan Ford wrote:
You made your prop 100% better with the graphics!!

I agree completely. It really does make the trick much better, and with the storyline I used, the graphics is a welcome improvement.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5589 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I disagree. I prefer the simple elegance of the first design... leaves more to the imagination and sort of resembles a straight jacket binding.

But, to each his or her own. That's the beauty of creating art!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
mroek
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of mroek
I will of course keep both sets of plates, so I can choose which set to use. Smile
magic11ryan
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of magic11ryan
Looks great.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Ribbon Prison (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL