The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Euro Box Completion Project (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
805 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Hello,

I just purchased the last blemished uncompleted Viking Euro box. It has no flap which I will need to create. If anyone has one can you kindly PM as to the construction of the flap. I have two thoughts on what to do. My first thought was making a sheet metal flap covered with velvet felt paper would require me to line the interior of the box with thin paper also, but that may create to thick of a barrier for the lock to work.

Regards,
Phil
Russo
View Profile
Special user
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
970 Posts

Profile of Russo
I don't know what kind of box it is -I have what was called a Jap Hank Box - all wood, with a wall flap and you could not tell the difference . If yours is wood- use wood printed contact paper(it's very thin) on your (?) tin flap, ??
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
805 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2021, Russo wrote:
I don't know what kind of box it is -I have what was called a Jap Hank Box - all wood, with a wall flap and you could not tell the difference . If yours is wood- use wood printed contact paper(it's very thin) on your (?) tin flap, ??

Hello Russo,

Contact paper sounds like a solution. The issue may be matching stain color of the dark walnut.
Here's a photo. It's a card box. cavity is a tad larger than 2.5 x 3.5. Also grain pattern may be an issue. Box is locking so intended to be handled by spectator.

Phil

Click here to view attached image.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3576 Posts

Profile of Julie
I remember George Robinson at one time painted the inside of one of his regular flap card boxes a flat black and the METAL flap a matching flat black. This effectively eliminated any concerns regarding a grain and the flap would not warp. I don't know if he still supplies that box constructed this way...

Julie
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
805 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2021, Julie wrote:
I remember George Robinson at one time painted the inside of one of his regular flap card boxes a flat black and the METAL flap a matching flat black. This effectively eliminated any concerns regarding a grain and the flap would not warp. I don't know if he still supplies that box constructed this way...

Julie


Hi Julie,
Good idea. Yes that is the simplest and probably the best for performance. I'm a bit loathe to paint that beautiful walnut though ! Even though a felt lining would cover it too ! My other concern is to make sure the locked flap cannot be moved a tad by a spectator poking around inside. The felt paper (face to face once flap is triggered) creates a lot of friction, inhibiting flap sliding.

Phil
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
805 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Another option discovered. Home depot has walnut laminate samples for $0.25. Time to do an expedition!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3576 Posts

Profile of Julie
The "other" concern is the risk of the wooden box warping or swelling. We have another of George's locking flap boxes with a metal flap with a beautiful wood grained vinyl covering. The problem here is the box has become a bit out-of-square and the flap won't fit properly. Normally my husband would just lightly sand the edges to compensate for this difference, but we are not comfortable trying to sand the metal flap...

We have many other variations of Card Boxes and this one is from several years ago. It's not worth bothering George with (we really don't need to use it), but I mention it for your consideration in proceeding with your project, Phil.

Let us know how it goes.

Julie
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
805 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2021, Julie wrote:
The "other" concern is the risk of the wooden box warping or swelling. We have another of George's locking flap boxes with a metal flap with a beautiful wood grained vinyl covering. The problem here is the box has become a bit out-of-square and the flap won't fit properly. Normally my husband would just lightly sand the edges to compensate for this difference, but we are not comfortable trying to sand the metal flap...

We have many other variations of Card Boxes and this one is from several years ago. It's not worth bothering George with (we really don't need to use it), but I mention it for your consideration in proceeding with your project, Phil.

Let us know how it goes.

Julie


Thank you for your advice, Julie! Much appreciated. Will let you know how it goes. I also ordered walnut laminate which is only available on-line. Got two 3x5 inch sheets for 0.54, and free shipping for my experiment! I'll see if I can embed two thin magnets between two laminate layers.

Phil

P.S.
I've sanded sheet metal (28 gauge) with sand paper on a flap project several years ago. It worked well, got off the burrs from had shears and shaped it to fit a different box. Just wear some heavy gloves for safety. IIRC, the sanding time was not exorbitant... I had to sand to reduce flap size a bit because it was catching on the box interior edge.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
805 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Walnut laminates arrived today. The color match is not the best. Laminate is more brown. The box stain has a reddish brown hue.I'll still cut the flap and see how it looks and how well the neo mags attract through the laminate. As to color, perhaps I'm too sensitive. A spec probably wouldn't notice.

Phil
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
805 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2021, docguitarman wrote:
Walnut laminates arrived today. The color match is not the best. Laminate is more brown. The box stain has a reddish brown hue.I'll still cut the flap and see how it looks and how well the neo mags attract through the laminate. As to color, perhaps I'm too sensitive. A spec probably wouldn't notice.

Phil

I cut off a small piece of laminate and tested magnets. They work great!
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
805 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Final version. The laminate color I decided didn't work.

Rather than irreversibly painting the interior, I used a repositionable glue stick to glue black suede paper to the floors on the interior. Then made a layered flap of heavy card stock with embedded thin neodymium magnets and suede paper backings. The magnets add enough weight so the flap will engage.

Getting a properly sized flap was again the "nuisance" aspect of the project -- flap has to be just right, not too large and not to loose. Had to scrap the first flap it was just a tad too small and occasionally the hidden card edge would be exposed. Working with card stock made sizing the flap easier than with sheet metal.

Thanks again for all the input!

Phil
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Euro Box Completion Project (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL