The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Quite all the RISING CARD around (LOOKING FOR HELP) (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
guazelli
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of guazelli
HI everybody,
I'm doing some research about RISING CARD effects that doesn't use invisible thread but where other gimmick of any kind are involved.
Books, videos, names or anything else available would be great.
A really great thanks to everybody willing to share their knowledge.

Livio
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Martini Rising Cards:
http://www.martinismagic.com/Products.html

The Impossible Close Up Rising Card by Gary Plants:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDZIkZw_0dk&t=122s
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Hi Livio:

Animation effects are my favorite type of magic effects, so Rising Card effects are something I really enjoy as well. Below are some favorites from my collection and a few book resources...

Starting on the back far right is Abbott's Nu Power Card Rise (it is just fun to watch work Smile). Next is Marc Antoine's (DodyMagic) electronic card deck, arguably the holy grail of modern mechanical card rise decks, beautifully made with three phases, unfortunately I do not believe he makes these anymore. Next the "card pip" box is an example of a card rise chest and there are a number of versions on the market. Next is Dave Powell's Mini Victorian Card Rise Chest... a fun piece that I enjoy performing. Next in the glass card houlette is a simple gaffed rising deck with connections to Deland. This is followed by two of Martin Schwartz's clockwork rising decks.The last houlette on the right and the black tray in the back are Val Evan's card rise. The Houlette in the front is Tom Baxter's version of the "Sybil" card rise.

The book resources include Greater Magic which has a good chapter on rising cards, Jon Jenson's Rising Card Book and a Book from Supreme Magic with some cool mechanical methods. The far right is Klingsor's Big Book of Rising Cards, truly the bible of Rising Cards. If you want a fantastic overview of different methods this is the resource.... more details here.... https://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/ca......lingsor/

Good Luck!

John
guazelli
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of guazelli
Hi guys, thanks for the infos.
really really helpful.
JM TALBOT, your collection is absolute awesome!

In case, hope to have the permission to pm you for further questions.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Forgot about a few others in the collection...

From the left is Collectors Workshop's Markesh Mystery, followed by Arising Cards by Ariston... both are versions of being able to cause a card named to rise. The CW effect is quite rare with some indicating only 12 were made. Angelo Carbone also makes a great version called Notion of Motion, I have handled it it but do not own that version. Far left is Dick Zimmerman's Crystal Card Case.

Feel free to PM if you have a specific question.

Cheers,

John
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
We came across a rather unique Rising Card(s) apparatus a few years ago that was made (I think) in India.

It is a tad heavy and looks similar to Abbott's classic Nu Power Rising Cards. This method is different. It is painted black.
The secret involves a st-----r deck and the chosen card rises from within the deck and can be observed from the side as it rises.

I've not seen this particular piece referenced in current literature...

A thought provoking read is a book titled SAMUEL COX HOOKER and his RISING CARDS by Christoph Wasshuber. This is a necessary reference to any serious study of the Rising Cards. (source Lybrary.com)

Julie
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1177 Posts

Profile of Chris
THE book to get if you are into rising cards is "The Big Book of Rising Cards" by Claude Klingsor https://www.lybrary.com/the-big-book-of-......876.html (available printed and digital exclusively from Lybrary.com)

You might also want to browse this group of ebooks and videos https://www.lybrary.com/magic-cards-risi......526.html
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Thanks Chris, yes cannot agree more on getting the Big Book of Rising Cards! Picture in photo above.

Julie that prop sounds familiar... I think I have seen a picture in the past. You reminded me of a few other other rising cards I have that use the st_____r deck. The two on the right are Merv Taylor's Flash Houlettes in jumbo and regular size and on the right is Clarence Miller's Reverse Rising Card. In these effects the decks are placed into the holders and suspended through the opening in the middle by your thumb or in Miller's a pencil. When removed the deck drops but the selected card remains suspended. The jumbo version makes a nice satisfying crash when dropped Smile, and the Miller version has a nice subtlety where the chosen card can remain suspended until you command it to drop. There have been a number of other variations using this idea released over the years.

jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
386 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
That is a great collection you have there, J M Talbot. Thank you for sharing the photo.

Jim
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2021, J M Talbot wrote:
Thanks Chris, yes cannot agree more on getting the Big Book of Rising Cards! Picture in photo above.

Julie that prop sounds familiar... I think I have seen a picture in the past. You reminded me of a few other other rising cards I have that use the st_____r deck. The two on the right are Merv Taylor's Flash Houlettes in jumbo and regular size and on the right is Clarence Miller's Reverse Rising Card. In these effects the decks are placed into the holders and suspended through the opening in the middle by your thumb or in Miller's a pencil. When removed the deck drops but the selected card remains suspended. The jumbo version makes a nice satisfying crash when dropped Smile, and the Miller version has a nice subtlety where the chosen card can remain suspended until you command it to drop. There have been a number of other variations using this idea released over the years.

I'm familiar with those and my particular favorite of this genre is Miller's Non-Rising Card with the ability for the unsuspected climax of the selected card falling back down into the deck upon your command.

Of course, these are not really "rising cards" because the selected card remains in a higher position within the houlette while the rest of the deck falls down from its elevated position; leaving the chosen card elevated.

I've just remembered Ken Brooke's handling of the Rising Cards with a wand supporting and isolating the houlette by running through openings on either side of same. This is an excellent method with non-gimmicked cards and completely examinable props. I've forgotten what it is called...?

Julie
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
There's a fairly new and unique rising card named Sleeper, by Eoin O'Hare.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I do not own Sleeper, but the reviews seem to indicate that the gimmick is very hard to hide. Penguin often goes "out of stock" of tricks like this that aren't that great. If you want the card to rise in the deck from the spectator's hands the Henry Evans rising card is about the ultimate there. I have used it and it was impossible for anyone to find a gimmick!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Hi Julie that prop sounds like it is similar to the more impromptu looking version using an ordinary deck, a small envelope and a pencil. Deck is placed in the envelope and a pencil thrust through the sides. Envelope and deck are suspended on the pencil which is held at the fingertips. Selected card(s) rise from the deck in the envelope. Can also easily cause a wrong card to rise and lower followed by the selected card. Original idea for this version I believe goes to Pete Biro but others including Daryl have shared work on it.

There are so many cool gaffed methods out there including the many versions of the Devano deck and the one made by Martini referenced above is a good one. The books on Don Alan and Albert Goshman have some great routines/handling for this deck and Ron Bauer also released a good booklet on it. A number of years ago the Ted Biet World's Greatest Card Riser was released and was a cool gaff. Only a few cards thick but could cause any number of cards to rise. In the Ken Brooke book "Ken Brooke's Magic Place" by L&L a great little gaff is detailed called Autorise by Gus Southall. Only two cards thick. I made it up and used it successfully for awhile.

The OP requested information on methods not using thread, however there is a multitude of clever methods using threads of all types (invisible, regular, elastic, etc). The effect referenced above by Henry Evans is a good one. Also Jeff McBride's Kundalini Card Rise and David Britland's Angel Card Rise are also good options to explore. With thread there are options galore from simple setups to props with hidden motors or the use of clever reels. Pneumatic pressure, hydraulics and shifting sand have also been used in the past as sources of hidden power. I recently watched a video on card rises which was part of Dan Harlan's series on effects from Tarbell.... some nice handlings and ideas but thread based.... https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5508

As much as I like rising cards I have an equal or greater like for Haunted or Cobra decks.. but that is another subject... Smile
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hi John et al>> The good ol' reliable thread! Smile Your glass houlette reminds me of a similar heavy glass one in our Accumulation with a hole to accommodate a thread. I'm not sure, but I seem to recall it being from National Magic...

Julie
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
That sounds right Julie... the glass Houlette I own I believe was also sold through National Magic... https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/e......ic-circa
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
One of the most "off beat" rising cards I own is the "Pop Up" card put out by Tenyo many years ago. Card selected from a small group of mini cards. Cards put in the box and the selected card rises up. Uses a clever origami method... high on the cute factor Smile

Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2021, J M Talbot wrote:
One of the most "off beat" rising cards I own is the "Pop Up" card put out by Tenyo many years ago. Card selected from a small group of mini cards. Cards put in the box and the selected card rises up. Uses a clever origami method... high on the cute factor Smile

Your "Pop UP" name reminded me of "Plop UP" put out by the original RNT a long time ago. This is another based upon the str----- d---. The houlette is clear plastic and the rod/wand is a short piece of Lucite. We have it in both a regular and a jumbo deck size.

Julie
Eoin OHare
View Profile
New user
Ireland
88 Posts

Profile of Eoin OHare
If you know what you’re doing it’s invisible…

Https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVgi8IAIPST......opy_link
Designer & Maker of The Stripper Jig Card Trimmer & Pinpoint Pegger
https://theperfectshuffle.com/
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
IIRC Tony Miller has a rising card inside a sealed ziplock bag.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Quote from Al Baker on rising cards with or w/o thread: (read the first post above)

Son,' he said, 'some of these guys that come in here drive me nuts.' I
went to the door as he reached for his coat. 'Half the time', he continued, 'all a guy needs
is a dab of wax or a silk thread, and he's got a miracle on his hands. But what does he do?
He spends all day in here looking for machinery to do the same trick. Then he has to
spend an hour provin' it aint.'
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Quite all the RISING CARD around (LOOKING FOR HELP) (18 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL