The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How long do breather crimps last? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1243 Posts

Profile of imgic
I’m working on developing a set of various card routines, and am looking at using a breather crimp towards the end.

Anyone have experience/knowledge of how well crimps hold up as cards are shuffled and handled? I’m playing around to see myself, but would like to hear from the collective wisdom of the Café.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
ScarneAce
View Profile
Regular user
In a Galaxy far, far away...
118 Posts

Profile of ScarneAce
I will use a breather for one routine (using Martin nashs infinity control) however I've found any card springs/dribbles/riffle shuffle cascades can make a breather useless
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of imgic
Yeah, that's what I'm finding out. I'm doing fair amount of riffle shuffles and dribbles and seems to be messing up the crimp.
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
335 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
Would a traditional corner crimp work ?

These can be put in when needed (just before, or during your trick), and taken out when you're finished with it.

Jim
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2021, jim ferguson wrote:
Would a traditional corner crimp work ?

These can be put in when needed (just before, or during your trick), and taken out when you're finished with it.

Jim

That might work. I’ll give it a try. Thank you
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1128 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2021, imgic wrote:
I’m working on developing a set of various card routines, and am looking at using a breather crimp towards the end.

Anyone have experience/knowledge of how well crimps hold up as cards are shuffled and handled? I’m playing around to see myself, but would like to hear from the collective wisdom of the Café.

I have a breather in any deck I carry, but just to be sure, whenever I know I'm actually gonna need it, I "renew" the work a little bit in it. And have never been let down.

Before this I've had issues with it. I also used to use it for a particular routine (Tiny Plunger) but noticed that even if I reworked it a little before the routine, it sometimes failed me. So I ditched the routine in favour of Pit Hartling's handling of more or less the same effect (from his Card Fictions book).

Mark
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2021, mlippo wrote:

I have a breather in any deck I carry, but just to be sure, whenever I know I'm actually gonna need it, I "renew" the work a little bit in it. And have never been let down.

Before this I've had issues with it. I also used to use it for a particular routine (Tiny Plunger) but noticed that even if I reworked it a little before the routine, it sometimes failed me. So I ditched the routine in favour of Pit Hartling's handling of more or less the same effect (from his Card Fictions book).

Mark

Thanks. I just heard of Hartling's Card Fiction book on Penguin Magic Podcast and am intrigued. Hope to track down a copy and learn more
Tortuga
View Profile
Special user
Ballwin, MO
881 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
I would think a coin crimp would prove to be very durable in your example.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1419 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Just an idea has anyone tried to make a permanent or almost perm. breather in either a plastic card (w heat) or a thin insert put into card (by splitting). Just wondering.
Tortuga
View Profile
Special user
Ballwin, MO
881 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
If permanence is paramount it seems to me it would be much easier to use corner shorts or scallops. Why take a chance?
NicholasD25
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
The condition of the deck is a factor in how long a breather crimp lasts. I usually put the work in very strongly, then put it in the middle of the deck, then flex the deck a bit. I find that the crimp lasts longer in a new deck, but can be spotted easier from the sides. With older decks, I usually redo the work more often.

Shuffles and dribbles shouldn’t take the work out unless you’re handling the cards too roughly. Cards should be riffle shuffled gently, not flexed strongly, as I observe occasionally.
Zauberman
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Don't know if it would work for your routine.....but a 'Thick Card' can accomplish a lot of similar things.
Steve Bedwell has an excellent booklet on the subject.
It can remain in your deck un-noticed and unobtrusive til you need it.
cfirwin3
View Profile
Regular user
Rochester, New York
189 Posts

Profile of cfirwin3
I talk about permanent breathers on my video download "The Common Stack":

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/16576

I demonstrate it with regular cards and 100% plastic cards (Copag). Additionally, this style of breather defies the usual glare 'tells' that the traditional breather broadcasts. The spectator can handle the breather card and not notice it.

I would be happy to share the method openly here, but I think that might violate the forum guidelines.

Grab the video and get some other stuff along with the breather instruction... or PM and I would be happy to share what I know.

-Carl
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Loyal user
Paris, France
284 Posts

Profile of Francois Lagrange
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2021, cfirwin3 wrote:
I talk about permanent breathers on my video download "The Common Stack":

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/16576

I demonstrate it with regular cards and 100% plastic cards (Copag). Additionally, this style of breather defies the usual glare 'tells' that the traditional breather broadcasts. The spectator can handle the breather card and not notice it.

I would be happy to share the method openly here, but I think that might violate the forum guidelines.

Grab the video and get some other stuff along with the breather instruction... or PM and I would be happy to share what I know.

-Carl

I believe you can post in the Secret Sessions without any problem: "General magic discussions that may involve the secrets and methods employed in effects."
Protect me from my friends, I'll take care of my enemies.
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Erik Tait talks about how to create a permanent breather crimp in his "Suit Cut to Order" download.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1419 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Breathers last as long as they have space to... breathe....
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
561 Posts

Profile of magicthree
I find they last a long time
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2695 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
You could always make your preferred Breather Card a corner short as well; just in case you need to get out of jail (if necessary).

It's always good to have a back-up plan when you're working. Smile

Harry Robson (of England) always uses a corner short as his control/locator. I've seen him use it regularly throughout his work/act; for both magicians and also for normal people. It doesn't get noticed.
Barry Allen
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of imgic
So many great idea and outstanding input. Lots of material for me to look at. Thank you all.

Merc, thanks for idea about corner short. Good example of getting fixated on one method, and overlooking another alternative.

Thanks again everyone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How long do breather crimps last? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL