The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Everyone is so skilled... (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

quinoa
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of quinoa
Kinda a usual story...loved magic as an adolescent, drifted away, now late in life, re-kindling my interest (as a hobbyist/collector).

My question: I would say just about every performance or trick that I see online/TV/etc amazes me. Everyone seems so gifted in SOH, cardistry, and stage performances. I am actually wondering when I will become more discerning (if at all). Right now it's just admiration for everyone's skill, and the belief that I likely will never develop the skills that I see in professionals, but I'm wondering if there's a point when you actually can tell the great from the good? I do recognize smoother patter and set-ups, but in terms of dexterity, I just put everyone into the great category.

Thanks!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
May you never lose this perspective!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Your audience of tomorrow will not know of your 'skill level." So, be the best in the world at what you chose to present.
You are communicating your love/appreciation of magic to others. Make it so.

The story they can tell of the "real experience of magic" is not a matter of comparison with any other performer - unless you make it an issue.

Yes, hold those other 'greats' in awe and respect, but the 'effect' you do is between you and your audience, no one else.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Most of the time, it's not about the "skill" you possess with cards or coins or even stage movement. It's about how well you connect with the audience. They don't love your performance because it's magical -they love you because you made that performance magical to them.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Don't fall into the trap of thinking you need advanced sleights to perform great magic. There are other skills that are more important, that can be developed with less effort (in my opinion). But ironically are neglected by most wannabe magicians. These include presentation skills, misdirection and carefully structuring each effect.

Choose a handful of tricks, and polish them with practice. You will find that you can blow people's minds with tricks that (to you) are very simple. Remember the magic happens in the mind of the spectator.

Here is an example of Juan Tamariz performing Neither Blind Nor Stupid. It's riveting! (It is also pretty much self-working!!!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPHuVYa_fVc

And yes - you will become more discriminating over time.
quinoa
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of quinoa
Wow! Thanks for the advice/wisdom everyone. Even when I see multiple folks do the same trick, I marvel at each of their presentations. I do appreciate the other skill sets required, and will keep that in mind. Nikodemus: Juan Tamariz is indeed wonderful; loved it. Feel free to share others...

So honored to benefit from all of your experience. Thanks!
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
I feel the same way Quinoa. That feeling gets more intense for me when I go to Youtube and see kids in their teens or early twenties demonstrating difficult sleights so smoothly. It makes me feel like "why am I even trying."
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I have to disagree with you TeddyBoy. Some of those YouTubers do sleights really well, BUT most of them give lacklustre performances. You need to look at the big picture.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2021, Nikodemus wrote:
I have to disagree with you TeddyBoy. Some of those YouTubers do sleights really well, BUT most of them give lacklustre performances. You need to look at the big picture.

Another view - a good sleight is of the "never happened" flavor with the audience not even remembering what your hands were doing at the time.

So, if you can tell that a sleight is used they are not doing it right. The real "skill" would be in having you so entranced by the flow of magic that you can't recall the specifics,
and don't care to replay or "figure it out."

It seems that learning from Youtube only prepares you to perform on Youtube, so you might find some other standard for comparison.

There is certainly value in watching a video of an actual live performance, but learning a sleight you aren't supposed to notice isn't one of them.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2021, Nikodemus wrote:

Understood, but some of them have helped me with moves that I was struggling with. One needs to choose carefully, agreed.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
some of them have helped me with moves that I was struggling with.

Me too!
Sorry I was unclear. What I really meant was don't be intimidated by seeing people do sleights really well. Good magic is not primarily about sleights. It's about presentation and misdirection. So you can become a good magician by focusing on these qualities instead.
dkelten
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of dkelten
I agree with everyone that great sleight of hand is not needed for great magic, however I would be lying if I said that I did not absolutely love me some move monkey sleights. The way I see it is, learn some solid foundational sleights, what you'll actually use for performances, and then practice the hard stuff for fun and showing off to other magicians. A spectator will be just as impressed by a trick performed with an "easy" sleight as a hard one, its all about how you sell it.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2021, quinoa wrote:
My question: I would say just about every performance or trick that I see online/TV/etc amazes me.

Bear in mind that if it's on camera, it is always going to look polished. If Take #1 doesn't work out just right, they'll start over and reshoot.

When you see video on TV or online, it's usually carefully selected, and typically when a performance is at its best. If someone flubs their sleights or moves, they'll delete it rather than post it online, and you certainly won't be seeing it on TV.

What you're seeing online/TV is certainly not representative of the average performance.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2021, EndersGame wrote:

Bear in mind that if it's on camera, it is always going to look polished.

Well, not necessarily so ...

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......&forum=2

:-)
Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Everyone is so skilled... (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL