The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Charmed (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

seamagu
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Hey Everyone,
There is often discussion on the importance of presentation or showmanship. It shouldn’t matter what the method is, it’s the performer that makes the mystery etc.
I was reflecting on this lately and I think, from my perspective, they key ingredient is ‘charm’.

It’s a fitting term really, when you are charmed by someone, you make a connection, they make you feel good.
Of course another meaning of the word charmed, is to be put under someone’s spell.

But what is charm? what makes someone charming? Can a person learn to be charming?

Can you charm an entire audience? What can you do to make your performance character more charming?

To me, I find someone charming if they respect me, are nice to people and make me laugh with them.

Interested in hearing your collective thoughts?
Best,
Séamus
I love post its Smile
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
This raises an interesting question. Part of the answer may be that the performer is different enough from the audience to be interesting, but the performer seems to nevertheless identify with the audience. This may help explain why American audiences find (say) English or French performers more "charming" than their people back home experience them.

A subtle authentic smile, an subtle humor, may often be factors.

One historical example may be the charming John F. Kennedy, who won in 1960 over Richard Nixon--who was seldom experienced that way.

One way to advance in our understanding would be to identify a number of public figures who are widely experienced as charming, and then study what they have, or have more of, than less-than-charming public figures present in their performances.

George
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Great thoughts as always George.

Maybe, attractiveness is also a factor.

Who else in the public eye is particularly charming?
I love post its Smile
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
My best guess is that charm is helf-subjective. A person who is "charmed" by a particular personality considers him or her "charming." Our society is so balkanized today that perhaps no one would be experienced by everyone as charming.

You may be right that attractiveness is usually a factor, but I can think of exceptions--see several below.

It is probable that most of the pubic figures who many people experience as charming are likable, authentic, and open--or even vulnerable. Many of them seem to want to engage the audience, with transparent good will toward the audience.

Several historical figures, like Alexander the Great, Sir Walter Raleigh, and Mark Twain were viewed as charming. Some poets are"charming;" I once heard Robert Frost in his annual Spring visit to Agnes Scott College, and many people mumbled how charming he was. In statecraft, Everett Dirksen, Ronald Reagan, and Barak Obama could be experienced this way. Female comedians like Phyllis Diller and Rita Rudner trade big time on near-contagious charm. Spectators at Lance Burton's shows typically find him charming, even in shows were he does not speak; but Garrison Keillor projected charm through his voice alone.

Signing off. I just told you more than I know!

George
trebeseer
View Profile
New user
S FL
53 Posts

Profile of trebeseer
Studying performers' onstage personalities is probably very instructive, especially for an amateur like me. I can try to copy or follow the ones I like and cancel the ones I don't like.

But picking who to emulate may be disastrous if we don't have anything to go on except historical writings.

In the case of "Charm" I think we need to more narrowly define what Charm is or think of a different word to use in its place.

Alexander the Great was charming???
I think mass murderers are automatically excluded from being considered charming.
If you didn't proclaim to the others in the court that Alexander was the greatest ever you could be killed instantly. If you're lucky (or charming?) you could get the lenient non-torture version of execution.
Alexander had the son of his best friend killed and then sent assassins to kill his best friend before he could find out that the son was executed. Charming.

I think George is correct saying that we all experience others differently, especially when it comes to charm. The names listed thus far don't seem charming to me. I guess Alexander being in the list set me off.

I'd say the trait of charm is more rare, more special, more peaceful, and experienced as enchantment by others. And it somehow has Goodness as an undercurrent.

I was trying to think of a celebrity that charmed me. I could not. I think that means to me that I must know them personally to be charmed - not just a stage or film or tv image or performance.

If you are first charmed, then insulted or degraded, think of a different word for what you thought was charm.

No offense intended to anyone. I just felt the need to come to the defense of "Charm".
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Some of history's most duplicitous or evil people have been experienced as "charming. Rasputin is one name that comes to mind. In mentalism's history, Alexander is rather obvious.

George
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Good points trebeseer,
I don’t think I’ve ever been charmed by a celebrity either. I think there needs to be a more intimate connection for that. However, I have met people for relatively short periods of time that were charming.
I hear you on the definition, however, I think it’s also a personality trait worth striving for. Which will ultimately come across in your interactions with others.
To me, the elements that make someone charming are all positive personality traits. Your description of goodness being an undercurrent resonates pretty well with me. I think that is a big part of it,
Thanks,
Séa
I love post its Smile
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
"Charm" is an attribute of "character", which in turn is a key element of performance.

Though it is certainly a consideration, it is (depending on the other character attributes) hardly necessary for performing success. Don Rickles (to cite but one example) was anything but charming, yet unarguably a highly successful performer.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
991 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2021, ddyment wrote:
"Charm" is an attribute of "character", which in turn is a key element of performance.

Though it is certainly a consideration, it is (depending on the other character attributes) hardly necessary for performing success. Don Rickles (to cite but one example) was anything but charming, yet unarguably a highly successful performer.

Don Rickles ended every set with a statement qualifying his true feelings and making it clear that what he was doing and had said was for entertainment. an exposure of his authentic and genuine humanity, That actually made him "charming" imho!
Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Confidence and a good show.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Charmed (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL